Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Arian Smith injury the latest setback for ‘special’ Georgia wide receiver group

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageArian Smith injury the latest setback for ‘special’ Georgia wide receiver group

Georgia football wide receiver Arian Smith suffered a season-ending injury.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man I hate it for Arian but just like with every other position group, it’s next man up. All teams have injuries. This is why you have to have depth to get where you want to be by seasons end. Kirby and staff have done a great job in this regard! Go Dawgs! Off topic I guess, but to all my fellow Marines (former and active) out there, Semper Fi. To all the other men and women who served in all branches of our military, happy Veteran’s Day and thank you all for your service! Go Dawgs!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that all teams have injuries, but I think it's safe to say that no team in the country has had the number of long-term injuries this year to key contributors -- particularly at one position -- like the Dawgs have! (LSU might be able to make a case with regard to its DBs). I don't really believe in curses but if I did, I think what's going on with our wide receiver room would definitely qualify. I'm thinking that even if Blaylock and Pickens do eventually get cleared to play, they may hesitate because it seems like as soon as a formerly injured player returns to the field, he gets hurt the next week in practice. (see Tykee Smith and Arian Smith).

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree we’ve certainly seen more than our fair share at the receiver position! Go Dawgs!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe the gods are just testing the Dawgs to see how good we really are...no sense in making things too easy for us, right?

And not much more to say other than what's already been said. This stinks! Speedy recovery Arian. Thank goodness for depth!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get too rattled with all of these injuries....not little injuries...season ending! Some are special players. Erased from the active roster. Next thing UGA will be fielding WRs in therapy boots. Kidding. No one on UGA roster has the raw break-away speed of Arian Smith. He WAS being groomed....now..next year. Please, no more pre-game practice for Burton, Jackson and Rosemy-Jacksaint. I am afraid to click on DawgNation anymore.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What the blank are they doing this late in the season where receivers are getting tackled in pracitice" THis is insane! Put flags on them and pull thieir flag. Might as well have our QB 's get tackled too! A depleted WR corp and they are subjected to having to be tackled. Dumbest thing I've hear all year in terms of coaching. Protect your guys CKS!! Don't you want a NC? If it happened in run support then kindly disregard my statements.

• sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

I TOTALLY AGREE with @reddawg1 on this one. For the life of me, I don't understand Kirby in pushing these players this hard in practice. PRACTICE?? This has been an ongoing issue with him with previous players getting injured not in games, but during PRACTICE. I understand pushing players in practice but not to the point where they've injured for the entire season. They are going to be so damaged if and when the get the next level. Sometimes I think Kirby either doesn't get it or doesn't care.

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is all on Kirby it’s seems like he doesn’t give a D about offensive players😡😡😡😡

• Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

My God it's insanity the injury list this year and even looking back we always have key players injuried year after year.

.Hey Kirby we love you coach but it's beyond time to look in the mirror and ask yourself how the hell can you eliminate the severity year after year in the injury bug department?

There is an underlying reason UGA year after year is dealing with major injuries to key players...it has become a major red flag 🚩 and it is to the point effecting outcomes with player development and the potential this program can be. Even this year in Georgia's best year to date, UGA has had 20 plus players that have missed the entire season, played in a only a few games and now two returned and then immediately got injured from a different injury..

This season has been a roller coaster beyond imagination on and off the field...9-0 ranked number #1 all without your starting QB, your All American wide receiver and 18 more 4 and 5 stars not playing all year or sparingly to date....

I think UGA players their best game of the year Sat at 3:30 and we come back with a W...let's 🙏 no more injuries occur and GO DAWGS.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Too bad UGA cannot suit up Matthew Boling, the vaunted UGA Olympic dash man who can sprint in the high 9's in the 100 meters. That is faster than Arian Smith. They sprint together on the UGA track team. Just musing.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yea, if Kirby ever learns how to run practices we may some day be the consensus #1 in the middle of November and be the odds on favorite to win the national championship.

• Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

I also hate the injuries but let's leave the coaching to Kirby and his staff. I didn't read any details on how this guy got hurt other than practice. One reason we're as good as we are is because we practice against each other every day. When good teams practice hard against each other the games seem easy. Football is a rough sport. Keep doing your thing Kirby.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have already been there, done that under CMR. He often didn’t have full contact practices and his teams were notorious for being soft. Also, rather than being national championship contenders in mid November, by this time, we were trying to figure out how to back into the SEC championship game, but realistically knew the holidays would be spent somewhere between Shreveport and Orlando.

To me, with all due respect, having players just hanging out at practice to be ready for Saturday is rather insane. I will defer to the best HC in college football to run practice as he sees fit! I enjoy being in the national championship picture annually!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

You can practice hard w/o DB's (thin position) tackling WR's (thin position) in practice. At this point in the season you can also reduce the # of reps (ie chance to get hurt) for the starting DB's and recovering WR's. Most of these (healthy) guys are in mid-season form. Again I scratch my head at the MIA Arik Gilbert. GOLDEN opportunity to step up into the spotlight as WR1, get ALL the exposure associated w/playing for the #1 team AND the biggest games are left to come. You'd think with that kind of opportunity laid at his feet he could go to class, work with tutors, practice hard and lift. Can you say "Household Name"? Gotta be academic. Feels so similar to DeAngelo Gibbs.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that next year we will have a stellar WR group well rested and healed. Right now it's frustrating due to the number of players injured and reinjured and, silver lining more experience. The offense is playing at a high level, we could be more consistent on 3rd downs and short yardage though. Opposing defenses are putting 8 in the box to stop the run, but that's not working as we are getting better even with our depleted WR corps. The Dawgz can win it all just like it is after all the offense is doing their job.😎

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still hating the injuries.😎

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Posted this under the other article, but there's more activity here so I'm copying it over.

Ok, regarding this idea that Smart is to blame for these injuries. I suppose on the surface it's as good a guess as any. We hear how hard they practice, we see the injuries, dots are connected. Fine. But here's what I don't get: Why now?

So, the assertion is that losing half the two-deep (or anything close to that) is just a natural and inevitable consequence of running the program the way Smart runs it. But if that's the case, then why is it only showing up now in year 6? I mean, if you can't accept bad luck as an explanation for why we're in this situation, then you certainly can't say that we've avoided it for the past several years as a result of good luck. So if the current injury situation is simply what's to be expected from running practices the way they're being run, then that must mean Smart hadn't been doing it this way prior to this year. Which would mean that entering his 6th season as a head coach, he up and changed his philosophy on how to run his program. And so ardently does he believe in this way of doing things that he's never felt the need to adhere to previously, that even as the significant injuries have mounted immediately and incessantly, he doesn't see any reason to depart from this newfound approach.

And I guess the same basic question could be asked of the turf theory.

I'm not looking for a fight on this. ****, at this point I'm ready to believe just about anything. But this seems like a fairly obvious question to me, which as far as I can tell hasn't been acknowledged. What say y'all?