Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Tennessee Game and the Flu

2»

Comments

• HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Vitamin C and D3 are good to take too. The amazing thing about the vitamin D3? It feeds the immune system. They have found in studies that a large majority of the covid cases were low in this vitamin. Hopefully the mods will give me a little leeway here because of the importance of this because I'm going off topic. Several other things about it? It has been found to be a precursor in leading to dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Low levels of it can causememory loss in anybody. My wife had a problem a few years back with forgetting names that she usually knows instantly. She had some bloodwork done about three years ago and the P.A. tested her for this vitamin. It came back low. Hers was around 18 and low normal is 30. She was out on a high dose prescription of it once a week as well as over the counter dosage daily. It took a few weeks to get it up to normal. We can tell if her levels drop by watching her memory of things like names. I have psoriatic arthritis well as ankylosing spindylitis, also chronic pain from a failed lower back surgery. I started having increased pain levels that were even more debilitating than the normal pain that I live with. It felt like my bones and joints were throbbing all the time all over my entire body. I did some more research looking for answers to what was going on. It turned out that this was a side effect of the same vitamin D. I had the rheumatologist that I use to check mine. It was critically low at 13.4. As soon as I got my levels back to normal the pain decreased gradually in the areas that I described. I had been taking meds for the psoriatic arthritis that caused my digestive system to get inflamed. This caused it to stop taking in the vitamin in foods that have it such as milk products. If you get a lot of sun daily it provides you with it too. I would suggest that everybody have theirs checked at least once a year. If it is found to be low get it checked maybe every couple of months until it gets back to normal levels. With winter coming back and covid possibly returning this could be one way to help fight it. It can also keep your immune system prepared for the flu that our team has been exposed to. Preventing fires instead of fighting them! Trying to help my fellow Dawg fans. We need all of you healthy for the playoffs.

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now, if I can just remember to go buy that vitamin .....what was it 3 ? 4?

edited November 2021

Vitamin D 3. It is available at most pharmacies and places that carry vitamins. We buy ours at Walmart. It is not expensive. Vitamin C has long been known to help with colds. Some doctors were recommending both of them to covid patients along with the other things they were taking such as zinc. People that live in colder climates are notorious for having vitamin D 3 deficiency. @Christopher Rules, you are blessed with warm weather year round out there. Also lots of good citrus products. I would still get it checked though when you have a yearly checkup.

• WebslingrWebslingr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanx for the research. I share ur inquisive nature on natural remedies.

Once I learned aspirin comes from tree bark and penecillin is growing all over the place...I started thinking...there's prolly a common cure for just about everything that ails us. Not sure if its true, but maybe someday we'll have it all figured it out...or a lot of it figured out:)

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

I'm a believer in D3, I take it almost daily, unless it's summer and I'm getting a lot of sun. Helps me with the winter blues as well.

Interesting thing about Vitamin C they've discovered recently, vitamin C absorption competes with glucose for absorption in the digestive tract. Plus synthetic vitamin C is not well absorbed. So basically, Emergen-C is a worthless form of Vitamin C. Zinc is a very underlooked supplement for combating colds and viruses.

And for your health case you mentioned above, you may be interested to read up on the benefits of trace mineral supplementation (especially boron), might also help you. It's depleted from our soils, but a very important trace mineral for bone health. It actually helps your body absorb the other minerals. My fiance has lupus and D and trace minerals help her a good bit, along with not eating gluten.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

This has become a very informative topic and will be left up for discussion and information. However, it's going to be moved to the "Off Topic" category since it strayed from football.

All Good! 😉

• PedroPedro Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I find fried chicken works, but only if the skin is crispy.

Thank you for that info. I'll look into it. I couldn't believe how bad the pain was from the low vitamin D. I wanted to curl up into a fetal position and not even move. It took a few weeks but the pain gradually lessened as the levels went up. I wonder if the crew on submarines have to take it? Staying underwater as much as they do? People in colder climates are very prone to low levels of it. I try to do as much as I can by taking supplements. Somebody else told me that they were helped by avoiding gluten a while back. I'll look into that more. With the trend nowadays to eating so many fast foods, everybody needs to be careful about their vitamin intake. Refining the fast foods removes so many of the good things that we need. I still try to grow a small garden in my backyard. The taste of fresh vegetables is so much different than canned ones. Maybe it is the sunshine, which is a good source of vitamin D?

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spring Valley last we bought at Walmarks I’ve also had piping rock. Both are 1500mg

• BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if we gave the flu to Tennessee