Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Chopping up Kirby Smart’s Georgia QB comments, Senior Day ceremony speculation

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageChopping up Kirby Smart’s Georgia QB comments, Senior Day ceremony speculation

ATHENS — Senior Day is always special for college programs, but this year is different as some players have been granted an additional year of eligibility by the NCAA because of the COVID pandemic.

Read the full story here

Comments

• johnnybuckjohnnybuck Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

JT will leave at the end of the season. He has a good attitude about this, but frankly, if were a 5 star QB I'd stay away from Georgia.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m afraid a difficult and not advantageous scenario has developed. JT will transfer out and no one can blame him. I also believe Beck will transfer out given he has gotten no playing time. UGA will be left with the prospect of having to start an inexperienced QB, likely Vandergriff in the SEC which isn’t a treat. We will be with a QB with no exposure and that is never good. If he looks to bring in a transfer with experience, that will blow up the QB room and we may see 1 or both of the highly rated QBs in the locker room leave. Wouldn’t want to be in the coach’s shoes but you have to think through some of these things or they could be left with another Fields scenario which certainly isn’t good. I hope I’m wrong.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If JT doesn't play Saturday once we get up and there is really no real reason for the starters to even be in the game and risk inujury then shame on Kirby. 1. You're risking inujury to your starting QB in a meaningless situation,#2 JT came here in good faith trusting in you to play him. I understand you don't hand anybody the starting job, but you did, after last season. JT was going to be the guy. He came in and did fine-according to my calculations he's not lost a game for us. BUt injuries happen and now he's healed and you don't even want him taking reps in a live game? Why not? Don't you want him ready and not rusty(if SB get's hurt?). What are you afraid of that he might come in and complete 10 straight passes and throw beautiful throws all over the place and now the fans are going ooh and ahhh? Now theyr'e wandering why the kid who led his HS to the #1 team in the nation as a16 year old isn't starting? Come on Kirby. I see shades of what you did with Justin Fields. Don't let it be this way.

If JT doesn't play then CKS isn't the man I thought he was. He may hope he can run the table with SB and say good-bye quietly to JT as he heads off perhaps to another school to star at or the NFL but this thing could get **** for CKS if SB fails at some point and/or he forced to play JT in order to save his bacon and JT does or he almost does and would have if given the time but Kirby put him in too late.

This is not how you treat a 5 star who put his good faith in you. Who is undefeated as your QB.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe word that got censored wasn't a cuss word. It was u g l y LOL!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2021

Let's look at it based on Stet and JT's goals.

Stetson has said that you don't get to play football forever, so you need to play when you can. He likely isn't going to get much interest from the NFL, but he also is the kind of personality that might try to go to pro day and seek an undrafted free agent path to the league. His decision will rest on whether he decides to make the most of what he has now (ie. comes back for another year) or whether he seeks to prove the world wrong at the pro level like he did in college.

JT has invested a lot of time learning Monken's scheme, and if he wants to polish his resume, there don't look to be a lot of better options than Georgia. Transferring yet again also could mark him as a malcontent. Coming back, staying healthy and finally getting his chance to be the yearlong starter seems his best option.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck did get playing time. He threw a pick six late in a game while the D was pitching a shutout. He made no effort to get involved in making the tackle to preserve the shutout for the D then laughed about it coming off the field. He hasn’t been back on the field since in my recollection. Kirby must have scene the same thing I saw. Transfer? Maybe he will want to go home to the steaming mess at UF or maybe Chattanooga or Jax State if he really wants playing time.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. One has to wonder about where his rock is right now for the nfl. What others so quickly brush aside is Daniels struggled against Clemson ( I was there and saw it, no field stretching throws at all)and Cincinnati. In half of those games he had Pickens on the field. Daniels was also beat out by a freshman at USC.

listen, I’m not bashing Daniels at all. I firmly believe he has the talent to spread the field. But in the same way Daniels brings special things to the position, Bennet has this yr as well. The beat play I’ve seen out of him ytd is the one against tenn where he goes to scramble and draws the lb up and dumps the pass over his head to AD. That’s a scary wrinkle to prep for as a dc.

sorry for the novel. In closing, I deep down inside want Bennett to start against Bama and us change to JT at halftime and rip those bammer’s hearts out with our backup in the seccg.

go dawgs!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am looking through CKS's eyes....Kirby likes QBs that can gun and run...Bennett. Stetson has shown us all that he is just as comfortable running as he now is passing. Thanks to JT! Stetson has scored multiple TDs himself. Kirby beams when he speaks of Stetson's success. What would UGA have done with a lesser defense backing up the offense? Probably would have made Stetson even more valuable as an RPO. If Stetson remains, JT will probably leave. He now knows CKS as a coach and a mainly passing QB will likely not be #1 in Kirby's program. The big BUT is, maybe JT is still not 100% and we just are not privvy. I like JT's leadership, ability to quickly cipher the defense and that quick delivery golden arm....but, if hit ....he seems vulnerable to injury. Then, UGA has in the wing, two tough young ballers....Vandagriff and Stockton....both 5 Star in my book. Both RPOs if need be. Beck may be out. Depends on what JT and Stetson ultimately do. Quite a dilemma. A good one in a way.

PS....I think JT would make an excellent QB coach at UGA. He has a lot of Jake Fromm in him as far as intelligence, knowledge of the game and leadership. That is what is keeping Jake with the Buffalo Bills. Just thinking out loud.

“Former” is the key word when talking about the QB’s status coming out of high school. There are no stars once a player steps on a college campus. They have to earn every rep. If JT’s play earned him the starter’s job after becoming 100%, I would back him completely. He hasn’t. Kirby and the players are always talking about getting better everyday. OBVIOUSLY, Stets has done that better than any player at his position.

Stets has led us to blowout wins against the teams that were supposed to be our toughest competition. Except for Cincy and Clemson, all of JT’s wins at UGA have come against weak opponents. Against Cincy he looked very pedestrian most of the game until the last drive. Against Clemson he looked pedestrian the entire game.”NFL acumen”? What NFL team is going to spend an early round pick on a QB that didn’t overwhelmingly beat out a FORMER walk-on?

Don’t you think that Stets will be ready to get on with his life? Perhaps he could start a coaching career as a grad assistant at UGA. By next season I suspect he will be 24 years old.

For JT to transfer out for one year only to have to learn a new system and with the portal already crammed full of QBs and the likes of Rattler yet to enter seems like the dumbest of moves! If he can’t come back to UGA completely healthy and overwhelmingly win the starting position regardless of the other QB’s decisions, his “NFL acumen” will have been greatly exaggerated.

• dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am in the CONCERNED that QB mismanagement could cost us in the SEC Championship game. I think that the ceiling of the UGA offense is higher with JT at the helm, and it could cost us down the road if he isn't starting the SEC Ship and Playoff games.

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 178 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2021

I'm positive Coach Smart has the team's best interest always in mind. He operates remarkably free of various controversies and more importantly, has instilled same in his players. I have agreed with his strategy to date of using the QB that gives his team, with its "various and sundry" adjustments due to illness/injury, the best chance of victory. I don't envy his decision regarding Bennett and Daniels, but then I am nowhere near understanding the art of coaching. The other thing is, I believe whomever is chosen, from here on out, will be able to realize victory. I certainly hope so. The prospects are very exciting.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m happy to see all the comments below supporting Kirby’s decisions on all players….especially QB. I haven’t attended practices so I don’t feel qualified to pick who the starters should be. I’m just thankful Stetson stuck around because this season could have been a lot different with all of JT’s injuries. I agree the criticisms of the “Mailman” are baffling because he has the 3rd highest QB rating in the country and that statistic doesn’t include his “rushing” accomplishments. I hope JT returns next year because we need his talent and leadership. I know he has tremendous skills, but he has yet to perform well against decent opponents. Only 2 teams he has faced in 7 starts had winning records (Cincinnati and Clemson) and he only led UGA to 2 offensive TDs combined in those games……not impressive at all when compared to Bennett who averages over 4 TDs per start against winning teams over the past 2 seasons. Go Dawgs!!!

• sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited November 2021

My only fear is Georgia's inability in the future to recruit and/or retain 5-star quarterbacks by the mishandling on Kirby's part the past few years. I understand you can't play everybody and you play the hands you're dealt. The only coach to me that has handled their quarterback situations with 5-stars is Nick Saban. If you look over the past decade how he's been able to prepare them when one leaves, it works out well for the Tide. If Kirby wants to stick with his Georgia "good ole" boys, then don't recruit 5-star quarterbacks. I know it sounds crazy, but it's that simple.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless JT has been injured far worse than we know.

The fact that Nolan came out in support of Stetson told me how much the players love him and appreciate what he's done for the team.

Last night on MNF, the Rams got beat bad. I didn't really watch the game, just had it on while I worked.

Even having a QB like Stafford doesn't mean that you light up the scoreboard all of the time.

If we had played Tennessee at Sanford would we have beaten them worse? I think there's a good chance.

Last year at Alabama, we were doing well and had a halftime lead, IIRC. Stetson has improved so much since last year, as has our defense. If we play them in a neutral site, I think we can beat them...LSU gave them all they could handle.

If JT left, seriously, where would he go? I guess plenty of schools might take him, but if he's been really injured, how do we know?

If Stetson won't get drafted, I don't see how leaving helps him...better to get all of the experience for a possible coaching job here or somewhere else.