Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Chopping up Kirby Smart’s Georgia QB comments, Senior Day ceremony speculation

2»

Comments

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not happy with the way CKS has handled the QB situation. Bennett has guts, can run well, is an ok passer whose receivers make him look better than he is and plays the plays that the defenses give him. On the other hand, Daniels is possibly the best passer Georgia has ever had, and we now have the best receivers that we've ever had. Daniels converts third downs like no one else, is deadly accurate and is a brilliant student of the game who could call his own plays with great results. I think CKS has screwed up by squandering Daniels talent just like he did with a kid who left us for Ohio Stat, was a Heisman candidate and now in the NFL. Another thing that worries me is that young 5 star QBs in highschool who look at this coach and go to Oklahoma or Alabama or Florida. I'm definitely not happy with that.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, if Stetson Bennett is reading these comments today he's probably thinking (as I am) where was all this love and support for me leading up to the UAB game, and after I threw an interception against South Carolina? Back then, Georgia fans not only criticized him but Kirby smart for even THINKING about playing him. Now, neither can do no wrong and that JT Daniels guy, who needs him? smh

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll admit I had my doubts, but the players love Stet and when they lay it on the line for the QB, what more can you ask for?

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please reference the games that would make any reasonable Dawg fan think JT is the best passer UGA has ever had.

• MccookMccook Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Maybe it’s the NIL thing with JT. Promised 1/2 the money to team!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

I think everything has been said, so it's just a matter of getting stuff off-your-chest. I stand by and repeat things I've said all along:

• The situation is very much like having both Aaron Murray and Matthew Stafford on the same team. Both DGD and if you look at their stats you might assume that Stafford had amazing numbers (based on his career) while Murray wouldn't (I don't believe he played a down in the NFL), but it's reversed. So, which would you rather have playing for you: an excellent COLLEGE level QB or an excellent NFL level QB? Who knows: it's an unanswerable question.
    • I'm more of an experimenter and prepare-for-the-future type of guy, so I would've HEAVILY invested our blowout games in giving the other QBs chances. Forget practice, let them all have a chance: Beck would have 10x the number of attempted passes, Vandagriff would've gotten playing time, etc. HOWEVER, when I look at the other major programs (Bama, Oregon and Ohio State) it's a similar pattern to us. Bama has played 3 other QBs... BUT they've only gotten 22 passes combined. Oregon: 18 attempts combined. Ohio State, 44 attempts combined. Last year, Young only got 22 attempts all year.
    • My predictions: Bennett comes back (no NFL possibility, why wouldn't he?). Based on that decision, JT declares for the NFL as it'd be unlikely he'd get to play. Beck transfers because he also has no shot especially with Vandagriff as a Sophomore and Gunner (hopefully) coming in. The question mark will be Vandagriff. Under normal circumstances, Bennett would be gone and he'd be the leader to start... but with zero snaps and not even working with the 2nd Team, it becomes risky to stay: I'd say 50/50 he transfers and much higher chance if JT decides to come back. Gunner SHOULD be safe to sign with us knowing that he'll need a year before he can be a starter on a championship level team and seeing competition clear out.

Clearly Smart has shown he can get whatever QB he wants from the Transfer Portal and that was BEFORE this year, so I worry as a fan but in the end, he clearly knows best.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not going to argue who should start. I have my opinion and t is just that: My opinion.

I will say, though, that when JT was healthy, Smart rotated Stetson in when JT was rolling and we all complained that it could mess up the continuity of the game.

Stetson has been the QB lately and we are winning. I like winning but several weeks ago Bennett got in "because he deserved it". That door does not seem to swing the same way for both players. So, JT was injured in practice, through no fault of his own, and has been working to get back to game ready and he does NOT deserve it? This has nothing to do with who should be starting. It has to do with different treatment, regardless of starter or back-up.

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would say the miss st game last year. I don't ever remember Georgia won a game while only rushed for 8 yards.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Please reference the games that would make any reasonable Dawg fan think JT is the best passer UGA has ever had."

Why did you leave off the word "possibly"?

JT threw for 800 yards combined in just 2 games last year when the run game couldn't muster 100 yards combined in those 2 games. Basically 400 yards each game, maybe one was 397. Let that sink in. No run game to speak of and you lead your team to victories, one was the comeback against Cincy. The other was against MIss.St. In that one I believe he threw 40 passes with 0 interceptions.

Statistically, no one has approached those lofty numbers since Aaron Murray. Just say'n. How easily we forget.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I can say is we’ve played Bama twice in the Big games and come close but no cigar in one. I Believe Kirby wants to not only beat Bama and his ole mentor so bad he can taste it, but he wants to win a National Title in the worse way. There for I do Not believe Kirby would deliberately sabotage the opportunity to win based Purely on some false sense of loyalty as some seem to think. As long as it would be Legal and Ethical to do so I think Kirby would bring on the towel boy if he thought that was the best possible answer/ method to bring home a win for the Team and Dawg Nation. I Do Not Believe that Kirby is trying to punish JT for some reason. I Do Not Believe that Kirby just flatly refuses to play JT because of some love affair for Stets simply because he’s a good ole country boy with a great story. Kirby Smart is All About winning games and taking his team to the highest levels he possibly can. I also Do Not Believe that Kirby just walks all over Coach Monken. YES Kirby is the HC and does have the final say but I Believe he has tremendous respect for Coach Monken and listens and weighs Very Closely what Coach Monken advises him. There are things behind the scenes that Media ( Thank Goodness !!) and we fans simply Don’t Know. Lastly though Yes it Is frustrating for us Information Hungry fans, I’m Glad that Kirby keeps his cards very close to his chest Or releases confusing information. It keeps the opposition guessing right on up to game time and Actually on into the game for that matter ( and not just about QBs to). Nick Saban was/is notorious for doing the same thing. Bottom line For Me I’m gonna trust Kirby Smart. He can play Jordan Davis at QB as long as it results in a Win. And when it’s all Said, Done, and Over that’s what Will count for the vast majority of Dawg Nation and national college football. Go Dawgs !!

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If JT does not get injured would Stetson be QB1? If not, why is he QB1 over a healthy JT now?

Is the implication we would not be 10-0 with JT because of his lack of mobility?

It appears very few of Stetson's runs were designed runs. Why is he running so much on obvious passing plays? Is he unwilling to let the routes develop? Our pass protection has been good overall. I'll take a good pre-snap read and quick release over mobility ALL. DAY. LONG!

With all that said, just win the Natty and let the transfer chips fall where they may in 2022 because elite QB's are rarely going to sit 2 years and wait their turn anymore because nowadays, your turn may not come.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2021

From my understanding of the article, is that JT could be a graduate assistant in spring. If thats true, he can transfer anywhere with sitting out I believe. If so,, is he even caring about playing for UGA again? Just a question I am pondering.

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• johnnybuckjohnnybuck Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

CKS is too risk averse to change. We will have to hope that the defense can win a championship. Im sure that's the way he wants it anyway. We've seen this play out already in '17 and '18. I doubt JT gets any meaningful snaps until he's playing for Jimbo Fisher next year.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stirr it up MG and AJC. Worst home team supporter newspaper in the Nation.

• G2ADG2AD Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

All I have to say is I hope something comes out to clarify this situation in a satisfying way. The level of vitriol is getting worse. This is no longer a debate, but have become legitimate infighting. There’s seems to be a dynamic no one has fully explained. Hopefully in the end, after it all comes out, we’ll all be one dawgnation again.

• Dawglifer72Dawglifer72 Posts: 9 ✭✭ Sophomore

Are you a quarterback coach? Obviously you know nothing about college or the nfl. Truly does it matter one may have NFL talent or not? Did Fields win a National Championship with Ohio State? Alabama has how many titles and honestly Tua or Hurts will just be backups most of their career. Tom Brady was an average college quarterback. Most of the starters in the NFL never won a National Title. It has nothing to do with NFL talent to be a winner in college. We have a great team so just enjoy the ride and stop all the negative quarterback talk. Build this team up. If I was a recruit and read these negative comments I wouldn’t want to come here. Kirby isn’t the problem, it’s the press trying to create a controversy and you that can’t say anything positive!!