Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia quarterbacks Brock Vandagriff, Carson Beck earn Kirby Smart’s confidence

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia quarterbacks Brock Vandagriff, Carson Beck earn Kirby Smart’s confidence

ATHENS — Georgia has arguably the most talented quarterbacks room in the SEC, and the players just keep getting better.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Four talented QBs at Georgia? Two of them five stars coming out of high school? How could that be? The naysayers on this sight swore to the heavens that not another five star QB would come to UGA because they didn’t like Kirby’s choice of QB when Fromm ran off Eason and then Fields. Yet, here are two five stars on the roster and four talented QBs total

Now, the same naysayers are saying no five star QBs will ever come to Georgia since JT hasn’t been GIVEN the starter’s spot the same way Kirby didn’t give it to Eason nor Fields.

Yet, Gunner Stockton, another five star QB according to some services, is breaking records in the state playoffs and can’t wait to get to Athens.

Keep it up Kirby! Keep making the naysayers look silly!

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, ShoottheHooch it looks like the naysayers were 100% wrong.😎

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope they all stay and keep coming to Athens! Problem is, the free agency portal. Will they stay is the million dollar question?

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

KS never says anything w/o a purpose.

So he catches heat about what he's doing with the QBs and - voila - the forgotten QBs appear in a story. He's nothing if not transparent. Carson, Brock, and Gunner on the way. And if JT stays for another year (you know, a year when he might be allowed to keep his job if he tweaks a muscle), that can't last. Somebody's leaving.

Meanwhile you're loving on your former 3rd stringer (a DGD and well deserving of thanks for all he's done), because he's able to scramble when he doesn't recognize the coverage, get them in the right play call, or get the ball out quick enough. While your (healthy) pre-season Heisman candidate rides the bench. Brilliant.

Can we appoint Kirby "Head Coach of Recruiting" and turn the team over to Monken and Lanning?

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time will tell. As always. One of your five stars (also Gatorade PLAYER of the year - at all positions - as a Junior) is not playing, relegated to bench in favor of the home boy. But cool, just a fan site. Opinions are fun. Even disagreements are fun. But a question: What would you say Kirby Smart is known for, nationally: (1) Recruiting, (2) Coaching Defense, or (3) Developing Quarterbacks?

Argue away folks, but it ain't #3 by a long shot.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2021

I think Carson and Brock are both terrific QBs, but with Stetson’s likely return next year I doubt either gets a chance to play. So for the reminder of this season Carson and Brock should continue being good teammates, learn and ride this train as far as it will go-hopefully to a SEC & National championship.

But at the conclusion of this season, I would highly recommend that Carson and Brock both transfer. (JT as well) All three of these QBs are much more talented than the walk-on Stetson. Kirby has not proven that he is a good developer of QBs so why should JT, Carson or Brock waste another year of eligibility playing behind a walk-on?

Yes, Kirby does sign elite QBs, but he starts the QB with lesser talent. ( I.e. Fromm over Eason & Fields; as well as Stetson over JT, Carson and Brock) So Kirby will get the 5-star QB, but if I was a short, weak throwing armed, average QB recruit from a middle/south Georgia high school, I would walk-on at UGA and Kirby would happily make me the starting QB over the more talented QB recruit.

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’d say recruiting and defense is his best attributes. AND a great leader of men. But not developing quarterbacks.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like the question and I’d say Kirby is best known for recruiting and coaching defense. He needs to evolve in QB development and the overall management of the offense in general.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Juggling all those QB's is getting to be a real challenge in the TP world we live in these days. Constant encouragement (and attention) is part of the juggling. The good news is UGA is UGA. As long as UGA is a Top 5 program UGA will be able to take any player wanted out of the TP including QB's. So while you would prefer to keep your own recruits and develop them, lost recruits can be replaced rather easily from the TP. OK, UGA has multiple practice fields. Why not conduct a 1's vs 1's and a 2 vs 2's practice on 2 practice fields? That way the 1's and 2's ALL get 100% reps? Practice is about working on timing, fundamentals and conditioning. Game plan implementation does not take all week. AND for those wondering if SBIV comes back next year 1) I would be surprised if he does and 2) I would be even more surprised if he is QB1. Surely, CKS is smart enough to play the guy w/3-4 years of eligibility left. BV will be ready next year to be QB1 and GS can be QB2 and get all those reps. Nothing else makes sense next year. See Saban. BYoung threw 22 passes last year. This year he's gonna win the Heisman.

• Options
    johnnybuckjohnnybuck Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Beck is halfway out the door (Mental Reps? Really Kirby?) JT will likely follow. But Stetson will play on! Any 5 star QB that comes to Georgia just better know that there's always gonna be some undersized south Georgia boy like Kirby you're going to be competing against.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Why not conduct a 1's vs 1's and a 2 vs 2's practice on 2 practice fields?" We have multiple practice fields but the coaching staff is limited to 9 "on field" coaches and each has a specialty. I would guess that is a large part of the answer.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My hope is that the 3 backups get to play. If Bennett plays for 60 mins, that'll be pretty unacceptable (you shouldn't have your main starting QB playing much after the 1st in a blowout). Start Bennett if you'd like, but after the 1st give the others a chance to play and NOT just handoff.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CKS in full QB juggling mode for next season. It looks like he's made his decision to roll with SB based on getting SB back for next season. If he sits SB for JT , then SB likely get's PO"d and doesn't return for UGA. It didn't turn out for JT like he planned with the injury. He will be off to Texas A%M to play for JImbo perhaps and he will get to put it up 30-40 times per game. CKS will give some minutes to Carson and Brock to make them hopeful for next year so he doesn't lose one or both to a transfer. It won't be a good look if JT and Carson transfer out. But especially if BV transferred out. I believe CB is gone anyway so BV will see the most playing time against CS and/or GT

THe only thing CKS will have to answer to(but he won't) if it happens, is if SB lays an egg somewhere along the rest of the way costing us the NC. Now I hope that doesn't happen, but it could. And I hope that everyone on here believing CKS always makes the right decision about QB's would be forgiving of him, if that were to happen.

This is our year, I've said that since the end of last season. THere is only one thing IMO that could muck this up. We'll see what happens from here on out.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd like to give these quarterbacks a little more credit than some are here. UGA has finally become "that place" where the standard for excellence is obvious. The players on the practice field who rarely see game action are not sitting around planning their exit for the greener pastures of more playing time. To casually say things like one foot out the door or as good as gone about these young men is really inaccurate. While some may, in fact, leave the program, it is far more likely that very few will. If you do the work, you know coming that you will be evaluated and developed. Everyone wants that NFL payday but building your resume for life is equally important.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson knows he will never go pro, these other kids(men) do not know that yet-if you are mostly referring to the QB situation(I assume you are).

WHen they give up on the idea of going pro they can focus on their resume for life or they can do both simultaneously(why not). Also, THey don't have to work on their life resume at UGA. THe idea that they should/or will just accept they aren't good enough to start somewhere else is not valid(at least not at this point(CB having what? 4 years of eligibility left? )

I doubt JT would return to work on his "resume of life" at UGA when he can turn pro and go 2nd or 3rd round, or if he is eligible to tranfer out to another college program he may decide to bet on himself if lured by say a Jimbo, or some other program where they will lose a starter. He could still comeback next season and lead another team to the NC or possibly win the Heisman and collect a huge payday by moving up in the draft.

Why should any of them just give up on their dreams at this point? Not to mention just the love of the game and wanting to start somewhere, if it becomes clear you're not going to start where you are, barring a couple of major injuries to the guys in front of you.

It certainly wouldn't be the 1st time and certainly won't be the last that a talented QB playing for a top school couldn't find the field and transferred out and became a starter somewhere else.