Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

QB Stetson Bennett ‘undecided’ if he’ll return next season

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageQB Stetson Bennett ‘undecided’ if he’ll return next season

ATHENS – Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett will be among the 28 or so Bulldogs who will participate in Senior Day ceremonies Saturday before the Charleston Southern game (noon, SEC Network-Plus). But that doesn’t mean he has made a decision yet on whether to come back for another season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

He has been a DGD, but for the love of god I hope not. We need to get these other QBs like Vandergriff and Stocken experience and they are a little more mobile

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And what will JT do? If Stet and JT both come back, it's going to be crazy crowded in our QB room.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Stetson gets anything other than the utmost admiration and celebration when his name is called then I’d be so ashamed of our fan base. I’m sure they’ll do the right thing. Go dawgs.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why wouldn't they cheer for Stetson Bennett? What has he done to NOT be cheered? That said, I believe (and hope) that he leaves after this year. if we win the National Championship, I'll all but guarantee he leaves. His story won't ever get any better than that. The fact that he's "undecided" now tells me that he's leaning toward leaving. If we do win the Natty, I hope both he and JT leave (college football, not transfer). I'm ready to see what Vandagriff and Stockton can do with the keys in their hands. I figure Beck is gone unless everyone else not named Beck suddenly drops dead. Go Dawgs!

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Stetson, like him or not has given everything he has to UGA, the players are behind him and so is the confidence of the coaching staff. Honestly I preferred JT to be the starter. Yes I would groan when Bennett would get the start and throw an interception errant pass here and there then wish for JT to come in. I expect he would have to be prefect lead this team. We desperately do need some game time experience from JT and our other highly talented QBs and next season will be more effected by Bennett's decision. We've had a few potholes to navigate around, thanks to GOD we have an elite defense and may have to play perfect starting at the SECCG. Go Dawgz all the way to the Natty. 😎

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How can Stetson be not celebrated? Name a loss in 2021? I do think he would like to play Bama again in the SEC title game. He wins that one and he is a bona fide college football hero. He has a tough decision to make regarding next season....his dad says take your valued economics degree and walk. That is what you do. I cannot speak for Stets, none of us can. If he takes his dad's advice, it will give younger QBs a clearer chance. If JT walks as well...you have Beck and Vandagriff....and...young gun slinger Gunner Stockton. They all stay.....you will see the portal door used....at some point. I, personally, would like for JT to remain in the QB room. It just seems to me he has unfinished business. If he stays, you also may lose a QB to the portal.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't envy Stetson his decision. He probably wants to try and prove himself in the NFL, but attempting it loses him his shot at another year of playing the sport he loves at UGA.

• okcdawgokcdawg Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

This is a topic to write about and discuss after our season is over. (Hopefully not until 1/11/2022). Today it's 1 more distraction as we try to keep everyone focused on this week's game and winning a national championship.

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would expect Beck to transfer. I wonder if SBIV could come back as maybe a graduate assistant and potentially going into the coaching ranks. If neither of the young QBs pans out or if the starter gets injured, he could go back in to play again.

• johnnybuckjohnnybuck Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Beck and Daniels are gone either way.

• Jaylittle23Jaylittle23 Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thank you Chip for providing much needed journalistic integrity to this site. It has been rather odd to read the slanted bias around our QB situation. Your analysis backed up by fact rather than opinion is refreshing. As Bill Parcells always said, “You are what your record says you are”. The Dawgs are 10-0 and Bennett’s stats are tops in the Nation….JT may get the chance before this run is over and will be better for it.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

"will SBIV return next year"? That is a ridiculous question to ask now in the middle of a run for a title. "right now, the team and I are preparing for our next opponent CS. Following the season I will sit down with my advisors and evaluate my options". Would be the correct answer. On the SBIV/JTD subject debate: SBIV has been able to improvise and scramble out of trouble at times. Have you ever wondered if the NEED for improvisation (to a similar degree) is necessary with a QB who defeats the D, at the line of scrimmage, with his pre snap read?

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Call me crazy, but I would like to see Monken turn both Stetson and JT loose to throw more deep balls in these next two ‘warm up’ games.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's good to see some news from you Chip. I was just recently talking about some other beat writers... I was comparing them and wishing they were more like you. I appreciate your work.

• sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2021

JT and Beck go portal if Stets stays. Graduating as a DGD bench-warming team-player is all fuzzy and nice, but it's not quite the same as a potential NFL opportunity with some tape from actually playing the game.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have you ever wondered that if it were that simple wouldn’t the more highly touted recruit with the bigger arm be playing. Clearly it’s not that simple.., no matter how bad the naysayers proliferating the anti-Stetson rhetoric want it to be.

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson deserves the thanks and praise from all Georgia fans, but I hope he decides that five years is enough. I am concerned that Kirby has sent Stetson the message that he is this year's quarterback, and if that is correct Stetson may assume that applies to next year too.

Stetson is not currently and will not next year be the most talented quarterback on the Georgia roster.

Kirby has misplayed this just as he did Justin Fields and Jake Fromm. Kirby is determined to minimize risk from the quarterback position and to not play a quarterback who might demonstrate more talent than the starter. Kirby feels he is avoiding a quarterback controversy by not playing Daniels.

Kirby should be asking this question, Will Daniels be ready when Stetson cannot get the job done?

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just my opinion but JT would be very wise to come back. And George Pickens needs to come back as well. BOTH of these young men need to come back and have a explosive banner year at UGA. To impress the NFL folks and remove any shadow of doubt from the NFL folks minds. Sure we Dawgs fans know the huge potential JT has and same for George. But realistically neither one have That much film for the NFL folks to look at. And as we all know or Should know the NFL folks are Very leery of injuries. Proving their skills next year could be the difference in. millions and millions of $$$ !! As far as Stets is concerned he has done an outstanding job and Deserves credit. Come back or not come back for him ?? I honestly don’t know the answer. I also don’t know For Sure what the repercussions would be if he did decide to come back. Every thing will fall in place as it will.