Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart: A $100 million man in the making

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart: A $100 million man in the making

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart is due for a raise, and that number figures to be climbing with each step the sixth-year head coach takes up the College Football Playoff Championship ladder.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ugachrisugachris Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited November 2021

If $10 million per year is the rate determined by the market, then so be it. But these universities offering 10-year deals are ****. Like if Alabama offered Nick Saban $10 million per year but on only a 5-year contract, does anybody really think Saban would leave?

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

PAY THE MAN!!!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As a top 5 coach, Kirby's pay should reflect that. I am more interested that his salary pool for his staff is maximized. We have a great staff, and they should be paid accordingly.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

CKS is going to get paid, and good for him. He deserves it. All I'm saying is that they better dern well pay Dan Lanning, too. Keep that guy no matter what.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGA66...yes, I do think Kirby is much more interested in taking care of the coaches around him and making sure they are well compensated. Of course, if a assistant coach has aspirations to be a head coach then there's not much Smart can do to keep him from leaving at some point when the right opportunity arises. We're going to lose Lanning within the next few years. Besides being an excellent D coach, Dan is such a boost to our recruiting that his loss will definitely be felt. I just hope he doesn't leave before we win a Natty.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pay the man whatever he wants. Period.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey fellow Dawgs fans I have a couple questions I’d like to ask your opinions on. Thank you in advance for your answers and at this juncture there is no wrong answer. All pure speculation. OK. Will Todd Monken be back next year ?? Do you see him as being a long term coach at UGA as in say 5 or more years staying ?? If ( I sure hope not) he were to leave after this year Who on the staff would be best suited to replace him AND continue to pretty much ( might be some differences) implement his fundamental Offensive plan ?? Would that person be able to assume his role with only minimal drop off in quality ?? A Statement from me, I’d Love to see what a Fully Loaded Monken Offense Could do with All the necessary players healthy and ready to go !!

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not convinced Monken wants to be a head coach, although he has proven to be a good one. I live near Hattiesburg, Ms and watched him take over at Southern Miss in 2013 after they went 0-12 in 2012. He had them turned around and had them as a 9 win team in his third year, but left to go back to the NFL as a coordinator. I'm guessing he would only leave for a top tier HC job, so if UGA will pay him what top OC's are making, we should be able to keep him for a couple of years anyway.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with vann. Monken came to UGA to more fully incorporate the air game into the college's football program (playbook). He is doing just that but has not yet been able to field a full complement of offensive players....if that is possible. His goal may be to accomplish that task. You hear nothing of Monken being offered a golden carrot from outside UGA. You do Lanning. I do not see Matt Luke in Monken's role. I do see Monken consumating his goal at UGA before he leaves...in maybe two years...max three. If it is money he seeks, he will have to pursue an HC job. I do not believe money motivates him. Success does.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 326 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's no longer about the game. From kids being offered in elementary school to these disgusting salaries, it has become ALL about the mighty dollar. Football--from life lessons learned to memories created--is merely the vehicle. If anybody tells you it's about the kids, or even the sport, they're not being honest. It's supposed to be...but, sadly, it no longer is. If institutions (people) are willing to hijack the sport and squeeze every last penny out of it, and in turn dump truckloads of money on head coaches, then so be it. Just don't try to act like it's about anything but a bottom line.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you UGA66 and vann !! I appreciate your comments. I believe you are both right. I’m looking forward to seeing what a ( Hopefully the injury bug will stay away) fully loaded Monken Offense could do. If we can get Pickens, Blaylock, Milton back and No More Injuries Please !! We might see some good indication in This post season play !! Exciting !! Thanks again !!