Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs run game and return game on display in blowout win

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs run game and return game on display in blowout win

ATHENS — Georgia football looked excellent on special teams, great on defense and relatively good on offense against Charleston Southern on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

When there is a game that one team has tens of millions of dollars worth of state-of-the-art everything to develop their bodies into athletic machines and the other has a few free weights, it’s like putting a VW against a locomotive. I’m thankful CS was able to collect their paycheck and and get out of town without any of their players sustaining life altering injuries. The CS players get an A+ for being sacrificial lambs so their university can collect a check.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2021

Buck Belue: 1-12-0 - 7 yards, Notre Dame game ('81)...........F- ????

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have to be honest as well...no score in second half was not a fan base pleaser. I thought UGA would easily run it to 70...with the twos and threes. Many of the subs had never taken a snap in a game, Smart said, excusing the lack of scoring. Smart literally emptied the bench...almost. Had team #1 stayed in...the score could have reached 100. Bennett under-performed. JT better passer....that game. Still looks rusty. They will have to do better against Tech. And Bama.

QB's...C (should be better by now than they performed) My opinion

Receivers ...B

Team....no injuries...A+ (great news)

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was more of a scrimmage than a game.

We looked good. We looked bad. It was an opportunity for us to play the bench, try some things out, expose problems we can work on and hopefully fix, and enjoy an afternoon in the sun.

We need to improve upon numerous aspects of our game. I'm sure Kirby is saying the same thing. That's taking nothing away from the season we've enjoyed, but we all know what's coming up.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm as happy as can be with the game. It was a scrimmage and if reports are accurate - nobody got injured.

The game was put away early, allowing everybody to get some playing time. Which builds depth.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am going to do what KS should not and disregard our last game of the regular schedule. In Alabama, I see an extremely elite mobile passer with at least two receivers who can and will break the big one. Their running is subpar for Bama and their defense is also subpar for Bama other than Will Anderson, who probably belongs in the next X Men movie. In Ohio State, I see another elite passer with three extraordinary receivers who can and will take it all the way. Their defense has been iffy at times but appears to be rounding into shape. Georgia, as we all recognize by now is defensively in a league of their own. Our offense has talent, but little in the way of the shocking capabilities of the two offenses above. I do not believe the QB room is going to show significant progress or change. At this stage, we have SB IV, who does have mobility, is inconsistent at best in his passing skills, but has been a stimulus for others in the offense to produce. In JT, we have a QB who without injury would likely have further developed his in-game passing, but that's not what happened. To me, he has never been able to approach mobility, does a poor job with ball fakes and diminishes the capabilities of our running backs. Let's not deceive ourselves into believing he is going to come in and perform a 2017 Tua for us. I believe we have geneuine shot at the NC, but we must affect the rhythm of some QBs in another league from those we possess. Our defensive X Men will answer that for us.

• Options
    Dawglifer72Dawglifer72 Posts: 9 ✭✭ Sophomore

I swear you guys are bunch of idiots that post in here. You are never satisfied. It was more about the seniors today. Kirby never runs up the score on anyone. He is a respectful of certain teams. Just enjoy the win and all you couch coaches quit complaining!!

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

After watching Georgia & then seeing Ridder, Stroud & Young throw the ball all over the field for Cincinnati, Ohio State & Bama, all I can do is hope the Georgia staff has made the right call. It's highly probable with games in Atlanta looming & hopefully.the CFP that the Dawgs will face one if not multiple shootouts the remainder of the way. Hopefully, like has happened all season, the Dawgs are prepared & players are ready to step up when the need arises. We don't need anymore close calls or lessons. It's time to win!! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, overall solid game. Halftime score showed what we could've done if we pushed with 1s whole game.

I very much appreciated seeing Beck and Vandagriff get some playing time. I wouldve preferred to have JT start the 2nd Q, but he still got solid playing time.

In terms of offense, yeah, all we showed is that we can run the ball against weak opponents. Bennett did okay passing but not really amazing. JT showed off his cannon and probably needed to find some better targets. It seemed like it went to 3rd and 4th downs too quick and notice how Smart wasn't comfortable trying to convert 4th down with him. Both Beck and Vandagriff have talent although neither blew us away, but that was expected.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's all take a moment to applaud Demetris Robertson, Matt Landers, Tyrique Stevenson, Jermaine Johnson and Brenton Cox and their stellar transfer decisions.

*Cue slow clap of embarrassment.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love how Mike cites Stetsons INT; but fails to mention 50 was getting bull rushed by an FCS d-lineman which led to a tipped ball at the LOS. Typical.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let’s take it easy next week against the honeybees we don’t have anymore points to prove let’s avoid injuries and get ready to play championship level football from here on out GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@E-Roc

One of my failings is always seeing the glass 3/4 empty!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

One of the few things I dislike about CFB is matching up an upper level team with a very overmatched team. I am fearful of the overmatched players getting hurt as tackling dummies while their schools make millions. A couple of observations from the RADIO broadcast of yesterday's game. 1) QB B- grade can be partially attributed to Monken play calling. Twice(?) he had JTD throwing bombs on 3rd down when clearly those are low % pass plays and JTD needs game reps (ie long , many play drives) and 2) AGAIN UGA OL had trouble moving people in short yardage situations. There were probably 4-5 (?) plays where CS DL stuffed the UGA O/OL. Food for thought for those "far and away better" fans. OSU up 28-0 after 1stQ vs #7 MSU. UGA up 28-0 after 1st Q vs Charleston Southern.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DRob, MLanders and BCox were not going to play much for this years team. DRob continues to drop balls, shy from contact and not block. He was surpassed by numerous guys. Landers was below DRob on the depth chart. Nuf said. Been waiting 2 years to see BCox look like a 5*. Still waiting. TStev would've been a nice guy to have this year. He missed out on a title run but got to go home. Tells you about his competitiveness. Same with JJohnson. Looked out for himself. Improved team = improved chemistry = these guys being gone?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not going to complain about the grades or the fact that we somehow only scored 7 points in the second half, but I have a question. How is that every time I watch Alabama or Ohio State their WIDE RECEIVERS -- not their freshman tight end -- are REPEATEDLY running wide open all over the field, yet our wide receivers are catching like 3-4 passes a game and they never seem to be true game-breakers. I get it that we don't have Pickens and (until yesterday) Blaylock, but those other guys are not chopped liver. Just don't understand it. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dallas Dawg, it's because our receivers are used more in blocking schemes before they are released to get wide open like Alabama receivers do. Plus the Dawg receivers don't have the speed of the Tide receivers except for Arian Smith, but he can't play now because of a broken leg he received at a practice session.