Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

It May Be Black Friday But It's Also...

donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BUY NOTHING DAY

Buy Nothing Day is observed annually on the day after Thanksgiving. This day is part of a movement against consumerism, urging the world to change their purchasing habits, to consume and produce less. 

HOW TO OBSERVE #Buy Nothing Day

Instead of shopping, stay home, and relax.

Or you can try these ways to show support for the day.

• Cut up credit cards.
  • Do a Whirl-mart – the act of disrupting others shopping by pushing your shopping cart around a store over and over while purchasing nothing.
  • Organize a Christmas Zombie walk – a visual expression of the obsession consumers have with Black Friday deal.
  • Balance your checkbook.
  • Read a book about counter-consumerism like the Empire of Things by Frank Trentmann.
  • Clean out your closet.
  • Donate or volunteer at a local food pantry. 

Buy Nothing Day originated in Canada in September of 1992 as a way to protest the frenzy of Black Friday shopping. In 1997, the day’s founder, artist Ted Dave, moved the day to the Friday after Thanksgiving to correspond with one of the most popular shopping days in the United States.

NATIONAL FLOSSING DAY

After enjoying a grand meal, National Flossing Day reminds us to take care of our teeth and gums. This health observance takes place each year on the day after Thanksgiving!

The American Dental Association recommends flossing at least once a day to achieve the best results for oral health. Daily flossing removes plaque from areas between your teeth where a toothbrush is ineffective. Plaque can turn into calculus or tarter so it is important to floss daily. Flossing is also an important step in the prevention of gum disease and cavities.

Used in a sentence: Even though it is National Buy Nothing Day, I might splurge for some supplies to celebrate National Flossing Day.

Comments

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With so many of the people that spend their hard earned $$$ on Black Friday living in the Red for the next 365 days then whats the upside and shouldn't the Saturday after then b considered Red Saturday? 🤔🤔🤔

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

you know, I've never thought of that. Maybe it should be green Thursday then since they still have their $ ?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I support this...however, Friday is our day to decorate for Christmas. I had to go to Lowes to get a couple of strands of lights. I tried not to buy anything on "Black Friday", but I had to.