Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia suffers complete team loss in 41-24 setback to Alabama in SEC Championship Game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia suffers complete team loss in 41-24 setback to Alabama in SEC Championship Game

ATLANTA — Georgia’s historically dominant regular season gave way to a disappointing SEC Championship Game performance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CapeCawdDogCapeCawdDog Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

And I repeat again: Kirby is not elite. I feel for the young men he has entrusted the program to; not their responsibility.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike? Was the upset shocking? It wasn’t to me, I knew we were going to get blown out Bc of our weak and unimproved secondary, not throwing enough against overmatch opponents all season Bc we had big leads, and playing SB4! Not shocking at all, more like expected!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes Stets was a significant part of tonight’s loss. But our Defense was More of the problem. Auburn lost to this same Bama team in four OTs in a low scoring game. Auburn didn’t have to have 30+ points to take Bama to those four OTs. Stets was very much responsible for the pick 6. But our D was responsible for the other 34 points. So the reality is it was a Team loss.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CapeCawdDog So we could be Florida. Or Auburn. Or Tennessee. You are oblivious to the genius of Nick Saban. We will be there one day, even if you don’t have the vision to see it. We will likely get a rematch in a few weeks and I like our chances.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2021

If you consider the programs that have won the national title the past decade, they have had ELITE QBs running the offense. I have the utmost respect for Stetson Bennett, and this comment is not to disparage him in any way. But IMO, the weak link in Georgia reaching the promise land is lack of an elite signal caller. Bryson Young will probably win the Heisman. Bennett on the other hand... Kirby needs to figure out that position.

I am hopeful that we will still be in the playoffs. I think we still have sufficient elite talent/depth on our roster to win it all. However, the emphasis will be placed on the sidelines and on our coaches to implement a scheme that can disrupt Alabama's offense.

If we do make the playoffs, I see the committee setting up an Alabama/Georgia rematch in the final. That means we better take care of business with whoever we play (probably Michigan).

1) Michigan vs 4) Georgia

2) Alabama vs 3) Cincinnati

FINAAlabama vs Georgia for the Natty.

We still have a chance.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Not pretty, devastating, disappointing....but honestly this loss shouldn't have "surprised" ANYONE.

We had not been tested. We hadn't played from behind. The level of our competitors were just average. Let's be honest. Our defense has made our offense look better than it was in reality, and today our defense got exposed. Kirby and the Dawgs got schooled by the Master...AGAIN.

Stet is not good enough to win a National Championship. He's an average to better than average QB with a lot of guts, determination, and heart. But that's probably not enough to win a NC. I'm not sure if JT is good enough either. So, we're definitely in a quandary at QB.

The only good aspects of today was the play of the O-line and Bowers.

We really don't belong in the Top 4, but we probably will still be alive in the playoffs tomorrow. If so, we've got lots of work to do.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our chances will not improve without drastic change. Tonight was evidence of that.

same starting qb and same final score. This fact is impossible to see past in my opinion.

2 yrs in a row and exactly…….same…… score!

Team came in believing the rat poison about how good the defense was and we got punched in the mouth. Our offense was obviously limited and Saban loved that. We cannot win “the big one” with Bennett at qb. It’s not personal, it’s just fact.

to those who disagree:

biggest game this season? Clemson

who was the qb in that game?….. yeah you know what I’m saying now.

• Options

I WANT Kirby to make me eat crow. I Want to be Terribly wrong. But For Now it’s a fact. At This juncture in his career at UGA, Kirby has not matched Mark Richt. Mark had won Two SECCGs and a SECE title in his first five years at UGA. Kirby has only won One so far. Some will say Yeah but Kirby got to the Ntl. Title even though he lost. So did Coach Richt albeit much later in his tenure. BUT here’s the thing Mark Richt never had the benefit of a play off system. Nor did he have the luxury of having the Total and Full support of the powers at UGA that control the $$$. Now that said, Again I would Love for Kirby to win the Natty THIS year and I’ll near break my neck to get on here, apologize and say Way To Go Kirby !! Numerous Dawgs fans are pointing at Stets. But my question is Why did our D just utterly collapse ?? Why did the Auburn D give Bama a Much Better game than the Dawgs D ?? In my opinion for some weird reason Kirby didn’t have the D coached up Before this game. And he wasn’t able to make Needed adjustments During the game. Now many Dawgs fans point at Stets and pretty much say it’s ALL his fault. That Stets needed to be able to get 30+ points to beat Bama. Well Auburn didn’t score that many points and They took Bama to 4 OTs. How ?? It’s very True that Stets didn’t help the cause by throwing the puck 6. No Sir. I totally agree on that. But the Dawgs D was in my opinion More of the cause of the loss tonight. Why didn’t Kirby bring More guys More often on blitzes ?? Auburn did and with great success. Saban out coached Kirby tonight, Again. Kirby needs to take a Long look at Himself and ask what do I, Kirby Smart need to do to be an Elite Head Coach ?? Kirby is like the President of this Dawgs team the buck stops at His desk.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby cannot be Nick

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg...Our Defense was horrible, but it wasn't all their fault that we lost. Other than very good play from our O-line and Bowers, our offense was not very good. So, we had a complete failure on both sides of the ball. We were never going to be able to compete in a shootout against Young with an average QB like Stet. I love the guy, but he's just not good enough to lead us to a NC. He was barely at a 60% completion rate today with 2 interceptions. We were 3 out of 12 on 3rd downs. Our offense couldn't get the job done, and our defense got exposed.

We've got to regroup and part of that means getting JT in there at QB. I'm not sure he's our answer either, but as much as I love Stet, he's not going to win a NC for us.

• Options
    MccookMccook Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

We looks slow to the ball. Had the flu I suspect. Bama had flu against LSU-AU MAYBE. WE HAD THE SPEED OF GA TECH. And where the HECK was D BLALOCK

• Options

Apparently not. Because Saban makes what ever adjustments he deems necessary to win, Before and During the game. And Saban is not afraid to make Radical adjustments that involve taking allot of risks. Seems to have paid off for him Much More and not just in games vs. UGA. So until Kirby is willing to take a long hard look at HIMSELF the Dawgs may never reach Elite, only very good but not Great. It starts with the Head Coach. And I’ll probably be run out of here, but it is Pure Assumption that JT Daniels would have fared any better. Why do I say that ?? Well Stetson Bennett whether people love him, hate him, or could care less either way is Plenty mobile. He most certainly can scramble or even run for yards. YET the Bama D was all over him pretty much all night. PLUS the Bama Secondary pretty much had all our receivers not named Bowers covered all night to. Bowers as Great as he is and he IS indeed Great couldn’t win the game all by himself !! YES Stets throwing the pick 6 sure didn’t help. But the Dawgs D failed to Prevent the other 34 points. We’ll never Know for a fact what JT could or couldn’t have done. But I think it’s pure Assumption for folks to say we would have won If Kirby would have let JT be the starter when he got back healthy. Just because he was a five star in HS doesn’t mean that much. His credentials at USC give very limited insight. These things said, IF Kirby went with Stets solely and purely because of his “story” then Shame on Kirby !! He sold the TEAM out IF he did in fact do that. I want to Believe that something he saw in daily practices is the reason he started Stets over JT. Least I sure Hope that’s why !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA cannot beat Michigan....IMO. In fact, UGA would have a real struggle beating Baylor this year. The way the D played and the O...Cincy would take UGA. Against really good teams...UGA falters...again. Allowing Young to run all over the field and pick them apart. That is elite defensive pass rush? Come on. Bama will beat UGA every time if the coaching and players remain the same. What effects a different result? Lanning, Luke, Monken....were you even at the game? Out-coached. Kirby acting like a... well, I gotta be nice. No use ranting. Hind sight is sometimes very frustrating. Smart looks like Richt....honestly. Same scenario different foes. One could not beat Florida the other will not beat Bama. Keep paying them millions and spending hundreds of millions on facilities. Same result.

This loss should not have happened...UGA needs to own it! Improve? I do not see how. They have some of the Conferences best players....except for Bennett..yes...Bennett. Bama proved again where he belongs. Poor judgement and simply not as good as a FRESHMAN!!! Good Lord, Kirby what are you thinking? I listened again to Kirby's press conference.....pitiful. Lame excuses. He just does not get it. Offenses win big games. Coaches as well. Stetson..."well too many mistakes gotta work on that and get better"...!!? Stetson, my boy, you will never beat Bama. Neither will UGA's rushing defense. Bama proved UGA is not the team we all hyped...when it comes to elite play. This is not a well, just had an off night...no way. UGA does not deserve its ranking.

Yes, I am a UGA grad. Give me 1980.

• Options
    KzLarryKzLarry Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

While I was disappointed tonight, this team and the special players on it have brought me some happiness in a very dark time in my life, I am forever grateful for that. Please remember that these are very young men, 18-22 years old. Remember what you were like at that age. I can't speak about the coaching, never played or coached organized football. My point is I love UGA, I love the Bulldogs, and I love this team...win or lose! It's Great to be a Georgia Bulldog, even when it hurts.

• Options

I appreciate your comments. And I Do get where your coming from. But You unlike some of our fellow Dawgs fans agree that JT MIGHT be an upgrade. We simply don’t know for a fact if he Really is. And Even if Kirby had made the switch to JT when he got back healthy it is an Assumption that he would have done better. IF and I want it known that I’m saying IF, Kirby played Stets over JT solely and purely because of the rags to riches story of Stets, IF that is the case then Kirby sold his team and All of Dawg Nation out !! I Truly want to Believe that Kirby and Coach Monken saw something in daily practices that put Stets over JT. I will be utterly crushed, super angry, and vastly disappointed if Kirby had some other agenda other than Winning in mind with his QB decisions. What gets me though my good friend Montana, what in the world happened to the Dawgs D ?? How did Auburn out Defend B. Young than UGA ?? Kirby had No answer. And why didn’t Kirby try bringing More guys on blitzed earlier in the game ?? Much earlier really ?? B. Young ( as I Remember You and others saying prior to the game) picked us apart !! Heck he had enough time to enjoy a four course dinner before throwing the ball !! Sick. I don’t know what Kirby’s gonna do but IF he plans for This Dawgs team to advance any farther This season he sure better do some Serious Coaching Before & During games !!

• Options
    edited December 2021

Bravo !! Bravo !! Well said !! Very Well Said !! You are absolutely Right !! Wish I could give you 1000 up votes !! I’m very, very disappointed about tonight. But it ain’t over yet. Maybe they can make a come back. AND winning 12 straight games in a row with all but one in double digits is nothing to sneeze at !! Not trying to be a pity party or a crying whimp but I have allot of serious medical issues and I just don’t know how many seasons I have left if any. I was really hoping that the Dawgs would finally break through and beat Bama and win the SECCG and the Ntl. Title to. But and Again it ain’t over !! They could still come back and win. And like you said I To have So Much to be Thankful for !! And these Dawgs have been so fun to watch !! I’m with You, I’m All Dawgs to death !! Go Dawgs !! Thank You for posting your positive comments !! P.S. I don’t know what’s going on in your life and I won’t pry, none of my business. But I just wanted you to Know that I just lifted You and your family up in heart felt prayer. What Ever it is the Lord Jesus Christ CAN & WILL help you if you just Call on Him and Trust Him. Hope and Pray All goes well for you.

• Options
    sprouse27sprouse27 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I had high hopes for this team, and they were certainly shredded yesterday. I have zero faith that Kirby is going to beat Nick....ever. 2017 was as close as we've ever gotten and we've regressed since then. The Dawgs are the Dawgs. They play some good football, but they don't play National Title caliber football and we get reminded of that when we hit the big stage. I was in high school the last time we won a Natty, and I'll be in a rest home or dead before we see another one. C'est la vie, I suppose but until Nick Saban decides to retire, UGA will be a second tier team in the SEC. Course, so is most of the rest of the SEC. Very disappointing, but it is what it is and shame on me for ever forgetting that fact.

😕