Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Smart and playoff-bound Dawgs have some fixes, decisions to make

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageSmart and playoff-bound Dawgs have some fixes, decisions to make

All it took for Alabama to destroy the narrative of Georgia’s trend-defying, unbeatable 2021 defense was one quarter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JhmdJhmd Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Well said. Right on. Thanks for voicing what the nobodies have been shouting from the rooftops.

• Options
    JhmdJhmd Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Well said. Right on. Thanks for voicing what the nobodies have been shouting from the rooftops.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Specifically, the thinking has been, you have an elite quarterback and receivers to win championships. Even a terrific running attack probably isn’t enough without a high-octane passing game. end quote

Not sure I buy this.

Hard to know though when on the next 6 plays we ran on the next two series after bama took the lead we passed 4 times and ran 2 times both for 3 & outs.

We've seen this before with our coaching staff. We have a hard time staying patient with the run.

Plus we pass on a field goal that would have at least provided a little positivity.

We've got to be more intelligent with the play calling.

48 passes: 30 rushes

Sorry, not gonna get it at UGA

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs shifted to higher reward/higher risk style of defense in the middle of the third quarter and had success. Had they done that in the middle of the second quarter, I believe they win it.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill..."As the oft-quoted saying attributed to Albert Einstein goes: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Ditto, Bill. Use Bennett against Michigan and MI will win high double digits. Not saying now JT is the savior...because he has seen almost no field time.....that is on CKS!!! I do not believe Smart is elite. He is a good recruiter and defensive coach. Saban is the reflection of a superb head coach. I do question Dan Lanning's decisions. Monken has no one to work with in Bennett, so that is that. Kirby is obviously calling the shots on QB...too bad. Lanning and Monken will likely be gone this next year anyway. Muschamp was of little to no value against Bama, either. Fellas, you were out coached!

Will some seniors/juniors opt out of the CFP game against the Wolverines? Good question. We'll know soon.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nothing gives me any hope of beating that team to the west, IF we get past mich, especially if we don’t make a change at qb.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Anyone who pins this loss on Bennett either didn’t watch the game or does not understand football. The primary reasons for the loss were a poor defensive game plan and poor defensive execution.

I am weary of all hand wringing on this board… folks saying they wish the Committee had just left Georgia out of the playoff, Kirby isn’t an elite coach, etc…. that’s all whiney little girl BS. 🤣

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Subsequent to my "7 fixes" post under the "Wake Up Call" article, I've had a chance to think further about the SBIV vs JT topic.

I'm a big JT fan, and frustrated that JT was not used more in the last few games of the regular season. I've even been tempted to fall into the "Kirby's just a 'good guy' biased toward Stetson" narrative... but I find that highly unlikely. His dynasty and additional tens of millions of dollars in his pocket are all at stake... and he knows it.

Instead of thinking JT vs Stetson, is Kirby (and, obviously, his coaching staff, especially Monken) quietly telling us something about his views of the O line (without, of course, saying it publicly and demoralizing his players)? With a solid pocket, JT is without doubt the better QB... but without one (much less one that collapses several times a quarter), it requires scrambling... clearly an area where SBIV is better, and can still fling a completion much of the time.

Are we all missing that, without an improved O line, JT cannot play the type of game where he could produce the kind of Heisman-like numbers (assuming receivers stay healthy and get separation) of which he is undoubtedly capable?

I increasingly think so... an investment banker (I'm not one, BTW) in the late '80s told me something which has always stuck with me since: "Any time you see someone you know to be rational doing something you perceive to be irrational, you don't know what's going on behind the scenes."

The O line being primary in the UGA coaching staff's concerns (and, therefore, driving the QB controversy) would explain a lot. If so, it gives me concerns beyond Michigan... going back to my "7 fixes" post, the O line is unlikely to get dramatically better in a month. So... controversy may remain at QB, and 'Bama will remain a tough nut 🤔

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A Heisman QB and the best receiver in the country and a team that can't play man to man or would rather pay zone and the rest is history. That was a strong of a performance by a QB abd a receiver as you will ever see. ANd it was done not against GT or CHarleston Southern but against the #1 defense. Somehow which will forever remain a mystery Auburn sacked Young 8 or 9 times and we couldn't do it once. Not once! Let that sink in. BAck the bus up they say about our defense, "they're all getting drafted", and we couldn't muster up 1 sack.

For all CKS's and CDL's accolades they couldn't devise a way to get to the QB and they couldn't bracket Williams. Not NIck Saban like.

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

BUT, the good thing is, Smart and company have 3 & 1/2 weeks to get it corrected.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia wasn't going to outscore Alabama series for series. You have to dominate their O-line like Auburn did. You have to make their offense go 3 and out often. You have to communicate well on defense and not give up easy scores on blown coverages.

I rarely criticize Kirby, but he outsmarted himself in this one. A conservative approach on defense was doomed to fail. I don't understand that thought process. You have to take chances, disguise your pressure, blitz often and have your DB's do their job when the pass gets out.

Hopefully, we'll get to see a rematch in the NCG, and see what changes have been made.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

The D can’t win every game for you. In the CFP, the passing game usually has to win the game. We don’t have the QB and WRs to do that. The frustration is that Kirby won’t change it up with JT to try something different.