Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football winners and losers as Bulldogs enter College Football Playoff mode

Comments

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I re-watched the game… as painful as that was.

After watching this debacle a second time, my take away is that we lost this game in the trenches (defensive front and O-line).

The blown coverages (resulting in gifted explosive plays) put the final nails in the coffin.

P.S. Although I am a fan of Bennett, I think they should have put JT in late in the third quarter.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow Fleming, he certainly did look good against VANDY…his last start. If we are going to base it on games like that then how did you like Stetson’s 290 yards and 5 TDs in 2 quarters against UAB, a team that could routinely beat Vandy. How did JT look in his last full game? Answer: absolutely horrible…..scored 3 points in 4 quarters and threw 30 passes for 135 yards, 1 INT and multiple sacks. We need to all quit dreaming JT will be our savior.

• MccookMccook Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Maybe Bennett is not the reason we lost but you could say he’s the reason we put the game to bed ( lost) with that pick Six. What if Zeus had fumbled away the ball twice against Bama and one resulted in fumble recovery and touchdown for Bama that! Would Zeus still be the starting Tailback ?

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Against FLA and BAMA last year and BAMA this year SB is 52 for 104 in passing, a mere 50% completion rate with 6 TD"S and 6 Interceptions. Is that a big game QB to anyone? Does that inspire anyone? I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Its Monday morning and Bennett is better than Jt....Yep all is well in Dawgnation, lets do it for the thrid time, the third time is the charm....

• MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wouldn't it be nice if Kirby can be at least more transparent about the qb situation. Still can't believe Kirby managed to lose again to Saban despite having the stronger team.

Given the picture above I wonder if Jalon Walker's dad has any eligibility left? He could replace Nakobe.

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thinking out loud:

• With SB, 2 iconic losses to Bama. Statistically, 3 iconic losses to Bama sticking with SB.
    • Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and losing over and over again.
    • Smart is stubbornly insane if he doesn't change.
    • Saban has proven his point that it takes offense and lots of points on the board to win a NC, not defense.
    • Will Smart bench another potential Heisman quarterback candidate, this one with a 7-0 record?
    • Is Smart a championship level head coach or just another highly paid assistant coach recruited from Bama?
    • Why didn't the Dawgs respond in the 2nd half? Did Smart tell them to stick with what they were doing and everything would be OK?
    • Why was Jordan Davis gassed so early in the game?
    • What happened to the pass rush? Why did they wait until it was too late to blitz?
    • In retrospect, I didn't see cool confidence, I saw flat.
    • Anyone think Smart is worth $100 million-plus at this point? Do we even want to lock him in for 10 years at any price?

Enough, already, I've got a splitting headache and a serious case of Bulldog let down. Go Braves!

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BubbaBill, in the game you referred to about JT’s performance, remember we were facing a very good defense and we had very few of our top receivers in the game. And he did nothing to lose the game.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Huh, there were only two mentions of Nakobe Dean winning the Butkus award in these comments. That prestigious award is an extreme honor in college football. Good on ya...Nakobe! I do understand the concern over that total blow-out of UGA...I do. It was a complete team over match by Bama again...even UGA's vaunted defense. I too am still stunned by this loss. Bennett is no match for Bryce Young...not same hemisphere..okay. But the weakness UGA revealed shocked me. The D. Wow..that spun me. Enough ...let's hope Kirby can marshall the troops against Michigan....a team of big tough hombres. Phyisical. But they can be beat...sister team Michigan State came from behind to spank them pretty good. Leaner and meaner beats the Wolverines. Up tempo. Mixed plays....RPO...will beat them. Their QB is a pocket man..pretty much. It will be a test for UGA...again. Michigan loves to rumble. Talent-wise they do not match UGA.

Again....KUDOS to Nakobe Dean! Georgia's finest.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats to Nakobe Dean who has been an absolute MONSTER this year! DGD!! I am excited about the playoffs!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Bama’s defense is much better than Clemson’s so I guess JT would have performed better against Bama……NOT

BTW…..we had a healthy Burton, Smith and Rosemy in the Clemson game….just not Jackson and Pickens who were also limited against Bama. We also had all running backs healthy against Clemson including Milton…..and JT scored 3 points the entire game.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Loser: The Georgia Bulldogs if they don't immediately start JT Daniels at QB. Even then, it may be too late to turn this ship around.

While I do believe that our defense got their "wake-up" call over the weekend, it will take more than that on offense to bring home a National Championship. I hear excuses every single time we lose to Bama. I'm tired of hearing them, because they don't mean a thing. You lost...AGAIN. We got outcoached and physically beaten. The two people that beat us were Nick Saban and Bryce Young.

We are limited in what play calling Monken can do with Stet at QB. Daniels must get substantial playing time soon to give us a chance to win a Natty, even if that means Kirby plays two QBs. There is a pretty good chance we will see Bama again in January if we get past Michigan. We need JT in the lineup.

Dawg fans need to be angry, sick, and tired. Have you ever seen a Nick Saban team lay such a big egg like we did Saturday? Have you ever seen a Saban team get so overmatched? NO. How can our vaulted defense not show up in a Championship game?

I'll go on record and say that Cincy will play BAMA better than we did last Saturday. I think they could even pull off an upset. It'll be a close game. Cincy will find a way to sack Young where we couldn't. Sometimes it's not the quality of the players but the coaching and the fight in them.

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm pretty even keeled about these things, but I think there's something wrong with Kirby. Name the great coaches and they will trade out a qb in a game at any given moment. Remember Spurrier and Terry Dean. Dean through 5 td's one week and 2 interceptions the next, and they put in Danny W. Dabo and Kelly Bryant. Saban and Hurts. We may have found Kirby's Achilles heel. Like Mark Richt and Willy Martinez (everyone knew Martinez wasn't up to the job, but Richt wouldn't change) - we may be looking back ten years going wow, Kirby wasn't real Smart.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ditto. We have always been vulnerable on the back end. Our defensive front seven kept us in games. Bama won in the trenches, where uga was SUPPOSED to be superior. Bennett is a great qb. A tenacious competitor. But he's not elite. If UGA's offense were filled with elite receivers and elite rb's and elite lineman, then you can probably get by with a great qb. But we don't have an elite offense. Putting in backup OL, RB'S, receivers (our tight ends are elite), will not create an elite offense. Bringing in an elite qb will. Is JT elite? He was. Is he, now? Who knows? I was optimistic he'd start the second half to throw something different at Bama. Kirby believed that stetson gave us a better chance to win. Maybe he was right. Maybe there was no way we were going to beat Bama. But maybe when we were down 38-17, a switch might have been a good idea? Bennett is a good guy. Great qb. But that's not enough to beat Bama.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You also left out Camarda. How many yards did he save us, in returns? I can't remember, but I think all his kickoffs went out the end zone. And he had some beautiful field flipping punts, including and SECCG record long. Had our defense been up to the task, that COULD have been huge. As it turns out, it was wasted.

• ponceinletdawgfanponceinletdawgfan Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Also, we kind of morphed away from Kirby’s prior explanation of not naming a starter, seemingly keeping it up in the air to make opponents prepare for two different QB’s. That seems to have gone out the window for some reason.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

@Hemingwey...actually, our O-line played pretty well. We kept the Bama pass rush pretty well contained and gave Stetson more than enough time to make passes and move around as needed. That's what makes some of his throws and poor decisions so frustrating. He was confused by the defensive schemes several times and almost threw more than just those 2 interceptions.

Bama's O-line played very well too.

Our D-line stunk.

Both teams running game was decent - though not outstanding - getting more than 100 yards in rushing by both squads. Those were pretty tough yards except for a few plays on both sides.

Our time of possession was almost 10 minutes more than Bamas....we were 3/12 on 3rd downs. Horrible. We are NOT nor will we be a high scoring offense against better opponents like Bama while Stetson is at the helm.