Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Quarterback questions still loom as Georgia football looks ahead to Michigan

2»

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For those on this thread who lament that a different QB won't matter without better receivers, I contend that a better QB would make our receivers better because he would be able to throw more accurately into tighter spaces. Also, go back and watch the games JT played in earlier this year. Notice how when he throws his passes, they are rarely -- if ever behind the receiver or so high that he has to jump to catch them and thus stumble to the ground off balance after making the catch. His passes generally lead the receiver -- often to an open area -- away from the defender. His deep balls are a thing of beauty, with the receivers accelerating to the ball -- and again, away from the defender -- instead of having to slow down and wait for the ball to make a miraculous catch. Our receivers aren't as good as Alabama's, for the most part, but they aren't chump change, either. I contend with a more accurate, stronger-armed, quicker-release passer, you would see a vast improvement in the stats of our receiver corps. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd just like to hear why JT has played so little even in the blow outs since he was cleared.

Maybe Kirby can sign up to Dawgnation and communicate it that way to our little group here. No one but us will know and the real world won't pay attention.

We can all get on a thread with code words we all agree on. Get it all set up and then email Kirby the code words and how to relay it on to the Dawgnation members.. He can get back with us on any changes or additional info we may need in advance before he logs on

. Hell, I'd even be willing to sign a release.

We all agree on a time to be here and then Kirby swoops in and give us the lowdown on JT so only us misfits understand what he's saying..

Sort of like Morris Code or some kind of dark web voo doo dance .

You guys won't say anything to Harbaugh will you?

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At this point I have reached QB saturation for this year. My biggest question is why CKS has failed to develop a back up QB this year as well as years past. We've had big leads in most games this year and he hasn't given the back ups but a few if any meaningful reps. That should be what concerns us going forward. Kirby's track record with developing QB's is pretty dismal IMO.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, in no way am I implying Stetson is better than JT as a “passer” eventhough the NCAA and ESPN statistics have Stetson rated light years higher…..and he’s faced much tougher defenses than JT did with the exception of Clemson which is good, but this year (with all their injuries) is no better than Bama. It’s clear to me that Stetson is not the marquee QB with the great resume like JT, but he knows how to get the ball in the end zone against ranked teams like Kentucky, Arkansas and even Bama. I sincerely don’t think JT would have scored more than 3 TDs last Saturday, in fact, I’m confident he wouldn’t have. I also find it interesting how some folks bash Bennett for his interceptions and act like Daniels offers an improvement in that area. The stats actually show the opposite with Bennett having a far better TD to INT ratio. Maybe Bennett lacks the arm talent, but is a better leader, game manager, etc. Bottom line is I don’t think Stetson is a better passer, but I truly believe he is our best choice right now, especially with his mobility and all the unknowns surrounding JT.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jt and SB have both thrown interceptions the past 2 years at the rate of 1 for every 30 passes. Surprising isn' t it? THe past 2 years JT has the higher percentage completions 69% to SB's 61%. JT has averaged a TD throw every 13 throws to SB's every 12 throws. Surprising isn't it?

I will say this our receivers as a whole have been much better this year than last year. And last season for 4 games JT's averages across the board were higher than SB's this season, with the likes of McConkey, Mitchell, Bowers, and the reappearance of those who were previously injured, Washington, Jackson, Burton, etc. which the Clemson game was trial by fire for McConkey, Bowers and Michell 1st college game and all. They are no longer freshmen as they say.

Also, Bennet has had the opportunity to throw twice as much as JT in is time here. Games like GT and Charlston Southern and UAB can definitely pad the numbers quickly and it's nice to have a decent run game, to make the play action better, which in 2 games last season when JT started we couldn't scrape together 100 yards combined but still JT threw for an average of 400 yards per game.

It's easy to pick and choose numbers, but harder to compare apple to apples. Like a abdominal pull or tear when you're a qb is devestating and so is a pulled Lat mucscle. But at the end of the day JT has yet to lose a start at UGA, Bennet has lost 2 to BAMA. I would imagine BAMA feels a little confident knowing they can beat him. You think? Like facing a pitcher in the World Series you've already beaten twice. THere is no fear.

JT is really the x factor. The Unknown. I think we know what the known is.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It takes offense, defense, blocking, tackling and special teams to win a football played with tenacity. The defense had a disastrous 2nd quarter, the offense couldn't keep up and special teams kept running back the KOs anywhere behind the 20-yard line. I do have to say I am perplexed by the QBs. If JT isn't the answer or ready to be the answer, then what happens if Stetson is injured and can't continue in the next game? 😎

• Options
    edited December 2021

Those are good points, but 1 thing is missing. True, JT has a slightly higher completion percentage, but several weeks ago before the Tech game, Stetson was averaging almost 12 yards per pass attempt (#2 in the country) and JT was in the 7 yard range (not listed in the top 100). That’s an amazing difference and one of the reasons Bennett is ranked so high in the passing rankings. It’s also the likely reason JT has a higher % completion rate because he throws short passes. I find it entertaining how people will write on these blogs about how we need to play JT because he can hit all those deep passes. That’s just not true at all. Sure he’s hit some bombs, but so has Stetson……just a lot more for Bennett. These statistics don’t lie and I think folks are struggling to document how JT is that much better than Bennett. BTW, 5 of the games you mention where JT started were against teams with losing records and had only won 30-40% of their games. In fact, 3 of those games were against teams with 3-7, 2-8 and 2-10 records. None of those 5 opponents was likely better than UAB. The great Mississippi State team you and others reference was 3-7 and it was a home game for us. Not impressive, not impressive at all. In the only 2 games against winning teams JT had a total of 1 TD pass and 2 Interceptions. I’m sure that means he would have scored the needed 6 TDs to beat Bama last Saturday since he averaged 1/2 TD pass/game against Cincinnati and Clemson. So you are saying a guy who was mediocre at best against the #9 and #19 teams would miraculously transform into a TD passing machine against the #1 team in the nation? I just don’t understand the logic and I think it’s just “wishful thinking”.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Depends on how you define a "bomb". A 10-yard crossing pattern that Bowers takes 50 yards to the house is hardly airing it out. Forgetting about stats (which can be used deceptively to make points), JT does better on my eyeball test of passing footballs. Not by much, but they look like better throws to the best catching zone. Granted, passing isn't everything... stuff like knowing when to check down,. who to pass it to, when to tuck and run, when/how to throw it away, etc. are every bit as important. KIrby's gonna start who Kirby's gonna start... I just hope the whole playbook is used, and there's a willingness to change it up if/when a spark is needed. Go Dawgs!

• Options

I agree, but those short passes that are taken 50 yards is true for both QBs. You are correct that, “Kirby’s gonna start who Kirby’s gonna start” and I trust him since he’s the only one in all these discussions who is at practices every day and he has more to lose than all of us combined. I’m 100% sure he will start the QB who gives us the best chance to win. All this talk about him playing favorites is incredible malarkey because history has proven over and over that’s not true. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Yep, gotta count those “stars” big guy to determine the athletes best suited to play. We definitely should have kept Jordan Davis on the bench since he barely had 3-stars. Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma would have likely won several championships if he had listened to your sage advice and benched his “walk-on” QB in favor of the 5-stars waiting on the sidelines. That Baker Mayfield couldn’t even beat our Dawgs……needed more stars I guess.