Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart must put Georgia puzzle together amid distractions, Dan Lanning takes Oregon job

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart must put Georgia puzzle together amid distractions, Dan Lanning takes Oregon job

ATHENS — Georgia football coach Kirby Smart was all about maintaining the team “rhythm” on his then-No.1-ranked, seemingly unbeatable Bulldogs just a few short weeks ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

If I were a Dawg, there’s no way I would leave Athens for Eugene…unless I was offered substantially more in NIL money. Why should my values be any different than every one running the NCAA and the football programs that make millions off my sweat!

I wish Lanning the best! I’m glad he has cashed in before Congress gets involved and busts up the NCAA’s plantation system! The only way the NFL’s minor league coaches could sign contracts worth tens of millions of dollars is by having an unpaid workforce.

I don’t like it, but I may as well accept it. Tis the season for the practice games disguised as bowl games to commence and lead us into the playoffs once we get through a few more weeks of who will be coaching where for ever how many millions of dollars.

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guess we'll see Coach Lanning again on September 3rd next year in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Is anyone thinking this will affect UGA's early signing period in a few days?

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Long time coming. UGA is not nearly as great as their hype. Let's see Kirby coach through this. Then, we'll know what we really have.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

X's and O's count And, beyond that.. players. The yucks who think the SEC is the only place players go are... mistaken. But hey, like all such things, we'll find out.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Done reading MG. With out a double UGAs worst enemy.

Bye

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the Dawgs’ chances going forward depend largely on avoiding another quarter+ long defensive collapse. That is what we witnessed in the SECCG—a total collapse on defense in the second quarter and much of the third quarter. If that is repeated in the Michigan game it won’t matter who is taking snaps.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, you so beautifully lay out the brutal truth about the DAWGS vs. Bama. Stings just as much now. They don't call Saban The Master for nothing! He whipped those DAWGS again. Kirby may have a winning record against Top 10 teams, but he's got a huge hump to get over with Bama. Heck, Bama just snuck around the DAWGS to have the #1 ranked 2022 recruiting class now.

Michigan should be a good test after a shocking wake-up call. I'm ready for both teams to bring their A-games so we can really find out how good the DAWGS' players, Kirby, and the coaching staff are.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Amazing coincidence, another new head coach promoted from UGA to face his former team early in his first year, especially this one considering the distance and different league.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, Kirby has got to put the puzzle BACK together quickly and with some distractions.

What has not been talked about is the repercussions of the Dawgs losing to Bama:

Dawgs face a tougher road to winning a National Championship, because we lost our #1 CFP ranking. We have to play Michigan instead of a Cincinnati team that we already played and beat late last year. We will probably need our best game to beat Michigan and then have to wash, rinse, and repeat in Indy. Even though Cincy is a legitimate contender, I don't see Bama losing to them (especially with so much time to prepare). Bama should come into Indianapolis as a fresher team than if the Dawgs make it that far.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said Mike.

with the tight lipped nature of programs these days. I have to wonder with the lack luster performance of the defense in the seccg, if maybe the Lanning situation was a distraction or got announced to the player before the game. I mean, we didn’t even hear about Dean and the Butkus until Sunday after the game.

Regardless of the cause, you’re correct, we’ve got to get better. From top to bottom.

• OldironsidesOldironsides Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Mike Griffeth, is a big wet blanket when commenting on Georgia or Kirby Smart.....He now implies, that the Dec. 31 game is Jim Yarbrough AND MICHIGAN,s to lose!.....Griffeth, is One big negative........could have sworn he was an ex. Florida grad..

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Truth is Bama is recruiting better qbs and wide outs it seems we’re going off of star ratings which doesn’t really translate over to the next level. Honestly either our wideouts and last couple of qbs have **** or their not being properly coached up. Hankton can recruit his butt off but he can’t coach at all every year we have 4-5 star wideouts turn to busts he is the common denominator and Kirby appears to be a Qb killer. Fix those problems and maybe we can win it all if we don’t get used to 10-2 seasons

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Until Kirby learns what it takes to take down his nemesis, he will be CMR 2.0. We fired a very good (great is debatable) head coach and great human being in Richt and why? He couldn't get us over the hump. Richt's nemesis wasn't Saban as much as it was Urban Cryer. Richt couldn't get us a NC everyone bemoaned. Kirby has had the east pretty easy since FLa's downturn. Think if he was facing Myer every year. Would we come out on top?

I'm not writing this dissatisfied with CKS,. not yet at least. Richt lost some luster and perhaps even some drive in the last few years of his stint with UGA but those early years were close to where we are now in terms of being one of the teams picked most likely to win a NC every year. At least the top 5-6 teams with the best chance. It just never materialized.

CKS has recruited at a level only rivaled by BAMA and so far, we just can't get over the hump that is BAMA.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart is SOOO close to being the next Saban, it's just two things that separates them:

1) Smart values loyalty and leadership while Saban does not. Smart will keep his QBs as the starting QB (newsflash: expect Bennett to be the starter for all of next year...) until an injury and isn't looking to change things up. Saban does what he thinks to win: it doesn't matter who you are or whether you are nice or mean, work hard or not. He'd swap out a QB after a timeout if it he thought it'd help.

2) Saban adapts while Smart cannot or will not. Saban prepares to play the next team, while Smart prepares regardless who the opponent is. Saban will identify his opponents weakness and build an entire strategy around it. Smart does not.

I've said it too many times before: name a time when the starting QB was changed by Smart (other than Mathis who he likely felt pressured to start) that wasn't related to an injury. I do not believe there has ever been. I firmly believe that if Bennett hadn't gotten injured last year, Daniels wouldn't have started a single game (and likely would've transferred).

If you think something is wrong with JT, you are mistaken. Smart has indicated the JT is fine. If there was something wrong with JT, then Vandagriff (here at nearly the end of the season) is likely (or should be) ready to play. Remember how people complained that Fields didn't get a chance his Freshman year? He had a whole more passes than Vandagriff did (he had one-single-pass-all-year).

I'm obviously as frustrated as anyone else and won't be surprised when you hear some boo's from the crowd when Bennett takes the field.

I'll still be rooting for them and still believe that we'll win. I hope you guys do too.

• joelljoell Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

@ Trey33 "Truth is Bama is recruiting better qbs"

Justin Fields was equal to any Bama QB during the Saban era. B. Vandagriff has the same potential but received mush less playing time as a freshman. And with SB & JT likely returning next year..............

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am not sure if people are paying attention but it would appear Saban has changed the player profile for his wide receivers. Before it was 6’- 6’2” 190. Now it is more under 6’ and -180 but with tremendous speed. It would seem he intends to stress secondaries to keep up.

• corbinideascorbinideas Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

The puzzle is already put back together. It only now needs to be glued down, framed and hung on the wall for the world to see. 2 games. New season starts December 31. The past is in the past. I would not want to be on the other side of the ball in 18 days.