Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia stock report: Bulldogs finish strong on awards circuit, recognition outside team

SystemSystem Posts: 11,098 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia stock report: Bulldogs finish strong on awards circuit, recognition outside team

ATHENS — Georgia football players have had a week to put the SEC Championship Game loss and their final exams behind them and will soon embark on another test of sorts.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doubting media? Um, okay. Oregon was the one who pretty much flat out denied that any offer had been given, so yeah.

Look, I'm not trying to be a troll here, but if you are going to pretend that UGA Football was a stock, you can't deny that it would've dropped by a significant margin after the loss. Stocks go up and down and clearly some of our stocks were overvalued.

Stock Down:

• Bennett - I've always argued that he's playing a full 4-star level and has since at least last year but his stock had climbed too high and Bama brought him back down to reality.
    • Coach Smart (in terms of coaching) - I am confident that we were prepared, but NOT prepared to play Bama. They prepared to play us and dominated. Smart not at least giving JT a chance in the 2nd half was unacceptable.
    • Our Secondary - Clearly, the secondary had not been tested and Bama showed it to be far weaker than many of us had expected.
    • JT Daniels - It's completely not his fault but since he didn't get a shot, people are assuming that there is some sort of injury or other drama with him. If he decides to declare for the Draft, he will have an uphill battle instead of having a high profile year like was expected.
    • Vandagriff - Its uncommon for a true Freshman QB to get much playing time (especially in a crowded QB room), but only having one attempted pass all year plus ZERO mentions from Smart in awhile increases doubts. While there is a HIGH chance Bennett will stay (and start, sigh) next year, if he were to go, plus JT and Beck both leave (likely) he'd be the sole player left with (hopefully) Gunner coming up to speed soon. Most coaches with blowout games would've given him more game time to add experience...
    • Possible QB Transfers - Yeah, lots of QB situations here but it's a cascading problem. Any possible QB transfers are going to re-evaluate coming to Georgia based on our history. Newman didn't even stay to opening game. Now, JT is not getting a chance. The whole "best player gets the job" doesn't apply to QB for Georgia.
  • dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 216 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just beat Michigan.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Kirby is a pretty average sideline coach, who is nearly unmatched in recruiting wars. I also think he has the wrong idea about the severity of practice, where we had about a dozen more injured legs this season, knees, feet and such.

I do think he is right on about broadcasting to fans, AND OPPONENTS, about who (and why), especially QBs, will play when.

I think the Dawgs best football has already been played, after being hung out to dry vs Bama, with a poor game plan and almost zero adjustments at the half. I, for one, would have gone with a healthy JT after halftime to throw it all over the Dome, but not even having considered this by Kirby and his able OC tells me there's an awful lot we don't know about the QB Room at UGA.

It was a great regular season, but almost certainly losing 2 straight will be difficult to swallow, because I believe, yet another loss to Bama, the awards, and the $Millions waiting in the NFL will melt away the team unity that was so obvious all season.

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stock down - Kirby Smart

Let's face it - he lost again to Alabama with a comparable team. Lesser teams gave them a better game than Georgia. Everyone can say what they want, but Kirby laid an egg against Bama. It's always why he didn't play a QB. Always **** play calls, trick plays or the like. He stuck with Zone defense and had no new blitzing packages. This feels like Mark Richt 2.0 - with almost the exact same record. Difference is, Kirby had better players. I hope he works harder at coaching and turns this around.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stock up: Dan Lanning - obviously. Same for Todd Monken. Lanning had more talent on his side of the ball.

Monken's offense was severely limited by injuries - and he still found a way to produce the SEC's No.2 scoring offense.

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have to agree - the QB situation stock is headed toward rock bottom. If SBIV comes back, either Beck of Brock will bail, a good chance both do. If SBIV goes, Daniels stays, which means either Beck of Brock will bail - again, maybe both with G.S. in-bound. If Daniels and SBIV both go and Beck and Brock both stay, neither got any game time this year . . . basically fresh fish. And, for whomever is left, can they trust that they'll actually be groomed in garbage time or that they'll see the field if they earn it in practice?

Maybe the only way to wipe the slate is for CKS to pull back the curtain once the CFP ends and explain, in technicolor, just what the h*ll.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Scary thought CKS could become CWM 2.0 excellent defensive coach but lacking as a HC. The pattern is tracking

Would you like to explain the point I missed about your comment about Bama going 7-5

• David1David1 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow!! Jordan Davis hasn’t played a down in the nfl and, according to Griffith, he’s already won the Lombardi trophy!! Don’t you mean Badnarik, Mike?

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, the defensive secondary performed poorly, and, sheesh, those busted coverages with Alabama receivers running free were awful. However, as Auburn showed, and as Georgia showed from the late third quarter on, the defensive front absolutely MUST bring pressure on the pass rush. They failed to do that in the second and early third quarters, and Young made them pay and pay.

Everyone likes to overlook the fact that Auburn’s secondary is much better than UGA’s and can actually play man coverage fairly well.

Anyone post a Change.org post asking Smart to start JT? I'm joking as it'd do nothing but piss Smart off and have him double-down on his current position, but somebody should do it.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I think everyone is just acknowledging that whatever weaknesses the secondary may have, bringing pressure is still preferable to giving Young the amount of time he had during that scoring spree. If you don't get to him, then it doesn't matter how good your secondary is. It may not work, but we know **** well by now that the alternative doesn't.