Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Georgia players ‘slowly’ turning focus toward Orange Bowl CFP Semifinal with Michigan

2»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK. Let me ask you a question ( No sarcasm at all just asking). Assuming the Dawgs get the W vs Michigan which I have a gut feeling Will be a very tough game. And ( Nothing is impossible) I Sure don’t see Cincy beating Bama !! CAN Kirby FIND Some way, Some how to Finally beat the “Ole Fox” Nick Saban ?? I’m gonna ask You and anyone that wants to chip in their deep and completely Honest trying Very Hard to lay aside all homerism. WILL our beloved Dawgs beat both Michigan & Bama ?? If Yes then Why ?? My humble Take is the Dawgs will beat Michigan in a Tough, Hard Fought, Nail Biting, Hat Slinging contest. Bama ?? I’m just not sure. I WANT to Believe, I Really do. But I’m starting to think Saban has Kirby’s number Much like Kirby had Dan Mullen with the exception of one loss. Thanks UGADad for your response and take !! Look forward to Yours and Any Dawgs fan response & take on my questions.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

NDawg Saban has EVERYBODY's number. Dabo only beat him because he had the best QB's in CFB. AND THEN it took an illegal pick play on the last play of the game for Clemson to score a TD and beat BAMA. As long as Saban is at BAMA recruiting #1 classes (AND now cherry picking the TP for 5*'s) everybody else is playing for 2nd. IF UGA had Gilbert, TSmith, AAnderson, TRatledge, GPickens AND could convince more of their best players to stay 4 years (a la BAMA) then UGA would have a better chance. Sunshine beat BAMA because he was able to pick them apart. Maybe JTD can do that to this AL D. The UGA we saw vs AL is not the real UGA. The AL we saw vs UGA is the real AL. Margin for error is extremely small. It will take no mistakes and better play all around especially at QB.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Hemingwey...There is some truth to that, BUT right now the FCS is in the middle of their expansive playoffs (semifinals this weekend), so I don't see their education or holiday activities as any less important than in the FBS world. A little reshuffling of exams, schedules, etc. may need to be done when our playoffs inevitably expand.

• Options

Like I said. Saban has everybody's number. Richt ain't coming back. Saban will probably retire in 3 years. How many championships did Saban and Spurrier win in their 1st 6 season? CKS is growing in knowledge and experience. He is a great recruiter in a talent rich state. He is in his dream job (remember LRiley?). Who are you gonna get that is better? This is CKS team and I am happy to back him. I believe CKS will get Saban before Saban retires. If not UGA is building the belief that UGA is the 2nd best program in the country. It could be worse.

• Options

Thank you UGADad and tcs59 for your responses. In different ways y’all said similar things. The main take away is that At Least at this juncture Saban has Kirby nailed. And the Only way that Kirby can shed that is to Beat Nick Saban. UGADad you described very accurately what I had Hoped for and Expected to See in the SECCG. A very close game with No margin for error. Instead I saw Kirby and Dawgs destroyed !! And Not Only was Kirby unwilling to make changes In Game at the QB position he apparently wasn’t willing or Didn’t Have answers for adjustments to the Dawgs Defense either. To tcs59 Yes I absolutely believe Mark Richt could have Won 1 possibly 2 National Titles in the Earlier part of his tenure under Two conditions 1) That the powers back then at UGA threw all the $$$ at him as they Have with Kirby ( though Yes I’m Very glad that they have ponied up the $$$) 2) Had there been a Play Off system back then Instead of the Heavily Biased Bowl Committees at the time. Georgia was blatantly Cheated by those Bowl Committees of at least One National Title Opportunity possibly even Two. I challenge any HONEST Dawgs fan to go back and Look at Mark Richt’s first Seven years and give an Honest take. PLUS Richt beat Saban when he was at LSU and at Bama though only one game there. Am I trying to just bash up on Kirby ?? NO !!! But in my humble opinion he Does need to look in the mirror at HIMSELF and ask I demand Elite and the ability to be flexible and adapt from my coaching staff and players what about ME ?? Am I placing the Same demands on myself ?? I cannot think of ANY Logical reason that he didn’t give the backup QBs more time in Many of those Blow Out wins in regular season. And When Ever JT was found to be pretty much fully healthy Why No playing time for him ?? If Kirby honestly believes Stets ( with ALL due Respect to Stetson) is The Man, Period, what would happen, past and future tense if Stets got badly injured ?? It just doesn’t make sense in any capacity to Not have another one of your QBs BETTER Prepared in the event of injury to the starter. Also as has been pointed out repeatedly Saban has beat the Dawgs Twice by changing QBs IN GAME ( which really rubs the salt in). So once it looked like it was pretty much game over what would have been the harm in bringing in JT just to SEE what he could have done ?? If JT came out there and was a total flop then the vast majority of Dawgs fans would have said Well guess we see now Why Kirby is sticking with Stets. But if JT came out and did pretty good, then what is it ? Kirby to proud to admit he made a wrong decision ?? For the record I have defended Kirby on here All regular season for playing Stets in front of JT !! But in the back of my mind I always had the haunting question WHY are the backup guys not getting more snaps In Particular JT ?? In conclusion of this novel IF being Stubborn is Kirby’s Achilles heel he needs to Recognize it and Change it or some where down the road (waaay down the road) it could lead to his Leaving UGA in a very bad way !! Saban is NOT stubborn and will take High risks to win. And it seems that 99% of the time his (calculated guesses) risks have paid off !! Still very thankful for Kirby. Still trust him. But he Needs to recognize that Something is broken and Needs repair regarding his playing against Nick Saban. Let’s Hope he gets another shot at Saban on Jan 10. And let’s Hope that Kirby has it figured out and This time gets the W !! Gotta a Big handful with Michigan first though.

• Options

Amen to that !! Things Can be much, much worse !! See the Ray Goff years !! Great guy, terrible Head Coach !! Just wish Kirby could make adjustments and beat Michigan ( which is Not a given by any stretch, Dawgs better take care of business), then beat Saban and Bama Finally. Man you talk about a bunch of Happy Dawgs Fans !!! Wow !!! This whole state would be rockin and rollin !! And the SECCG would be in a Very large part Forgotten bitter memory. Thing is there’s Still plenty of room for Hope. But Kirby has Got to be willing to pull out all stops AND be willing to Step Out of his “Normal” thinking. He and Saban spent so much time together. Saban is his mentor. The Only way he’s gonna beat Saban is to catch him by surprise by thinking out of the box. Let’s all Hope. It would be just Awesome if Kirby could pull it off !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jimbo beat him and a couple of teams you wouldn't thave thought would give him problems did. WE didn't.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg @UGADad20 ...

Bama's Saban does have everyone's number but remember this....Ole Miss has beaten Saban twice, Texas A&M has now beaten Saban twice, and LSU has beaten Saban....as you'll note, not a single team from the SEC EAST has beaten a Bama Saban team.

And the last and funniest thing is the one head coach that has beaten a Nick Saban Bama team more than anyone.....Gus Malzahn @ Auburn....3 times...and they fired him!!

• Options

Though he’s not a current HC, Mark Richt beat him at LSU and at Bama. I’m not sure on this next part but Richt Might be the only SECE coach to beat Saban at Both LSU & Bama. Course I bitterly remember the payback Saban gave Richt and our Dawgs at the infamous Blackout game to. Kirby needs to break the cycle and beat Michigan ( I hope our fans don’t underestimate the Wolverines, that’s gonna be a very tough game) Then beat Bama. You know the Ole Christmas song All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth ?? Well I’d bout be willing to give up one of my crowned teeth to Kirby if he can beat Both and bring in the National Title !! Can he do it ?? Will he do it ?? Sure hope so. I’m Way Beyond Sick of Saban, the Tide, and their Arrogant fan base. I might have to go to the hospital with cardiac problems IF Kirby can pull this off !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    edited December 2021

LSU? You mean LSU's all time greatest team from '19 that only beat BAMA because they had the ball last? That LSU team? aTm did not beat the SECCG BAMA that UGA played on 12/4. The BAMA team that got shutout for 3Q's vs AU was not the BAMA team that rolled up 300 offensive yards IN THE 2ND Q vs UGA in the SECCG. You might catch a BAMA team overconfident or flat during the season but when it is the SECCG or playoffs you can expect a well prepared and motivated team to show up. And a team that has more blue chip players than its opponents. The Saban that coached at LSU is not today's Saban. He has evolved, improved and so have his teams. Coach Youst to Coach Boone, "he's on to your game. You gotta throw something at him he's not ready for."

• Options

That IS True that Saban wasn’t nearly as experienced when Richt beat him once in Athens when Saban was at LSU. Then again when Saban was in his first year at Bama. I was just saying that from a hysterical Lol oops historical standpoint. But you are spot on UGADad. To beat Saban Kirby MUST think out of the box. Have a game plan that doesn’t look at all like the “normal” Kirby. But the Big question is Is Kirby Willing to do that vs Saban ? If he’s Not then he probably will Never beat a Saban coached Bama. Ole Saban knows what Kirby is thinking all the while. Sure would be Awesome to see Kirby beat Michigan using the Normal Kirby way. THEN totally surprise Saban with a completely different approach !! UGA has Very talented players in all areas of the game. So IF Kirby could come up with a Competent but New or maybe just Different twists that Saban wasn’t expecting. Saban CAN be beat. It just takes the right recipe. Auburn came Very close with inferior talent as compared to Both UGA and Bama. Kirby has challenged his entire program to be Elite. Perhaps it’s time ( past time actually) for Kirby to take a hard look at HIMSELF !! NOTE: I am Ultra Super Glad and Thankful that Kirby Smart is the HC at UGA. I think there will be Numerous bright & wonderful days, months, and years ahead for him and UGA. I just would dearly LOVE to see him win it All THIS year !! Maybe it’ll happen. I sure Hope so !! Thanks to all y’all for the feedback on my questions and comments. God Bless & Protect yall and families. My family and I wish You and yours a Very Merry Christmas !!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Unfortunately, the only way we will see a change in QB is if one of Michigan’s defensive ends injures SB. Otherwise, wash, rinse, repeat.

• Options

I sure Hope Ladd Mac will be at 100% or as close as possible by game time vs Michigan. I’ve been a fan of his from the day he was shown on here as being offered by Kirby and UGA. Something about him just told me that he was gonna have a bright future at UGA. But I confess I sure didn’t know it would happen so fast !! He should be called Ladd The Lionhearted !! He’s a Very tough young man !! Pretty fast, very athletic, runs smooth routes, fearless in traffic. I Really enjoy watching him play. And I honestly think if he keeps his strong work ethic, continues to hone his skills, and not have any critical injuries that linger, then he Will play on Sundays. He might not draft way up the ladder. But some NFL team will see his value and after a year or two of showing his By Then even greater skills he will be able to renegotiate his contract for even bigger $$$ !! Go Ladd !! Keep your eyes on the ultimate prize and keep the Faith of your dreams !! Go Dawgs !!