Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Michigan alters CFP Orange Bowl plans to arrive early, Georgia football yet to provide update

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageMichigan alters CFP Orange Bowl plans to arrive early, Georgia football yet to provide update

The Michigan football team has moved up its arrival date in South Florida, now scheduled to get there a day before Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, they've just got to play this game. Would be so bad for the players if this game was cancelled.

Go Dawgs!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, this is a classic example of Murphy’s Law. Good grief!!!

Does anyone know what the Covid protocols are that we are currently using? If yes, please share because I’m confused after reading various versions. Thanks and Go Dawgs!!!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The sad thing is, there will be guys who will miss the game because of COVID, but we'll never be told that's the reason. We just won't see them dressed out, so we'll have to guess as to the reason. Same thing happened last year for the Peach Bowl. I can't believe UGA waited until Wednesday to offer players booster shots. Omicron variant has been out since Thanksgiving. If you're going to provide the booster, why wait?

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

The booster won't keep you from getting it or testing positive. Just keeps you from getting a severe case of it. Which the original 2 shots do as well. Also not sure if the booster helps at all against Omicrom but it appears to be milder regardless.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe the article stated Wednesday was the third time the booster had been offered. My guess is that a fair percentage of the players have all 3 shots on board. Given the nature of Omicron, those shots haven’t been shown to stop the infection. Certainly helps avoid it but not preventing it. Just hoping this is the worst of the impact.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The amount of time a player is out is dependent on 2 things vaccination status and start of clinical signs. Let’s hope anyone with signs gets over them quickly and also let’s hope all signs started December 15th, 😉

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not trying to go the political route, but the very nature of this particular topic makes it unavoidable. The shots themselves achieve very little, so why be surprised when someone who is vaccinated ("Fully" or otherwise) pops positive. Harbaugh and Co. are scrambling to get everyone the "booster" as if that will do something. You're just boosting futility. UGA (and I'm assuming UM) have the strictest of protocols in place. That by itself shows you that these are symbolic safeguards at best. At worst? Well...I pray that day never comes.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You’re nuts pal. I had 4 immediate family members and 3 extended who I’d been around all get covid. 3 of these were my kids who I cared for by myself while my wife quarantined and I never once tested positive. The shot works, just not as good for everyone. To say getting the shot is a futile effort to keep people safer is complete ignorance and it’s cherry picked data/information like this floating around on social media and elsewhere that have gotten us into this mess. Say less next time.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Right, but if you are familiar with the protocols it states a player whose vaccinated need not be tested unless symptomatic. Therefore, if a booster helps mitigate symptoms or reduce severity then it stands to reason there’s benefit to taking the shot.

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well PAL...You certainly held true to form and responded exactly how I thought some would, which is oddly comforting. Start out with name-calling and continue with the snark and sarcasm, which seems to be the preferred path. And of course there's a heaping helping of hypocrisy, but I suppose it is (and always will be) what it is. As for your response, I'll say this:

1) I have cared for people who have tested positive. I have been in locker rooms, etc. I haven't missed a single day of work bc of the virus, so I have been right up front the entire time. Haven't gotten the virus. BTW, I don't say ANY of this to brag or minimize what many are going through. I'm simply providing context.

2) I didn't say the futility lies with keeping someone safe. The mind is a powerful tool and placebo effects have proven beneficial for centuries. I was talking about people getting the shot thinking it will keep it from spreading, like maybe a football program making everyone get a booster as though it will minimize the reach of the virus--which it won't. It may or may not mitigate the severity of the symptoms, but that's not the topic at hand.

3) It's not cherry-picking when it's true. It's actually pretty lazy to make that claim.

Read more next time.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All of this must be Stetson Bennett’s fault. Everything else that has not gone favorably for the Dawgs is according to many on this site!

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And JT was vaccinated. I got the booster and got sucker than I have ever been fever and all thought I actually got the virus. This was within a day of the booster. Not sure I would want a lot of the players reacting the same then tested because you would find a lot more. Michigan just got their booster today as well. Doctors aren’t even sure the booster helps with the variant Fauci is saying a new booster is needed

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Now that’s funny and sadly 100% true. When Bennett scores 5-6 TDs against ranked teams it’s luck. When he throws for 340 yards, 3 TDs, and 2 INTs against the #1 team he’s a total loser and the loss is all his fault. Totally amazing and sad….very, very sad.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In original version of this story, it did not mention that UGA has previously offered booster shots to the players, before doing so again on today. So although I responded to the information on hand at the time, I (gladly) stand corrected. Shots -- either initial or boosters -- are NOT a 100 percent guarantee that someone won't get COVID, or even die from it. No valid medical authority has ever said that they are. But they do HELP prevent it and they DEFINITELY HELP prevent getting seriously ill from it. Again, they HELP, they don't guarantee it. It's like people who lock their doors at night. Doing so doesn't guarantee your house won't be broken in to, but people do it anyway as a deterrent. That's what vaccinations are, deterrents.

• NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

Actually a recent study done in Israel did reveal that having the booster does significantly decrease your risk from acquiring the infection, compared to having the prior 1-2 vaccines. Doesn’t completely remove the risk of getting it, but does significantly decrease your risk

This discussion has been closed.