Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers after Orange Bowl triumph over Michigan

SystemSystem Posts: 10,555 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers after Orange Bowl triumph over Michigan

Georgia football earned a commanding 34-11 win over Michigan in the Orange Bowl.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To those who say "some of today's players don't love the game as much as player's did in the good ole days."

Go back 25 years and put the same amount of money on the table and many of those players would opt out too.

Nobody should expect draft eligible players to play in anything other than play-off games. That is just being selfish on the coaches and fan's part.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IDK, do NFL players get to opt out for “meanless” games? Real question.

Perhaps CFB needs to take a look at installing some revised rules to govern player participation, NIL, the portal, etc.?

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some people might not think that's a fair question, given NFL players are paid millions to play whenever healthy. But at a school like UGA, the annual value of a scholly is at least $100K (i.e., food, nutrition, housing, training facilities, orthopedes, PTs, rehab resources, equipment, skills coaches, counselors, exposure to scouts, press, tutors, college education, etc.), all geared toward preparing that young man to be at his very best so he might become good enough to later earn those millions. In fact, if you paid for that a la carte, it'd be well-beyond $100K/year.. not bad "pay" for a teenager. But I certainly get both sides of this tension, which will likely increase as the stakes go higher. Go Dawgs!

• Options

I’d point out that the chance for players to develop and prove themselves in college for a chance at millions in the NFL is worth… … … millions?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Players want to play. They don't want to spend much time as a backup. The transfer portal should help bring some parity to the world of recruiting and where elite players end up - spreading that talent around the league and helping teams get better. We've seen that happening already. Also, an expanded playoff should help the landscape as well.

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

To an extent, yes. Players will stick around and wait if they feel that their prospects for playing in the NFL will improve by staying where they are or, conversely, they might leave when playing already if they think they can improve their draft status by changing schools. Alabama is a good example of this.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could someone explain this comment to me. I seriously have no clue.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Tell me again how Alabama cherry picking 4 4-5* players from the transfer portal has helped CFB competitive balance? The TP will be a free agency way for the top programs to cherry pick players to fill holes. Every year. UGA picked up 3 in 2 seasons. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 have had injury issues. Do you realize which UGA player was top rated in the preseason list of the top 100 players in CFB? Tykee Smith. Would've been nice to have him this week. Still trying to figure out how a transfer sitting out a season of competition but still getting free tuition, housing, education, tutoring, training table and facilities, best medical care, coaching to improve play, maturation, etc etc is a bad thing? Removing the transfer rule has destabilized college sports. Loose/ non existent NIL "rules" will result in recruits being paid to attend certain schools.

These 2 semi final games are a good argument against playoff expansion. If teams 3 and 4 are this overmatched who wants to see teams 5-12? Totally against a 12 team playoff. Against the top 4 teams getting byes. The week off will create an insurmountable advantage for those 4 teams. The ONLY reason to expand to 12 teams is for money. Pure greed. If these games were non competitive imagine how non competitive the games will be with expansion.

• Options
    MantiTeosGirlfriendMantiTeosGirlfriend Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

I know it would happen because it did. Our very own Herschel Walker was one of the pioneers of opting out of your senior season to go play for guys like Donald Trump.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been done a million times with 0 flags thrown. Pretty sure they're in the clear.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

I've got some thoughts on the whole opting out topic, but I'll focus on one talking point that's been bugging me lately. It came up yesterday when I was talking to my brother and I just saw it again in the article: "Bowl games are exhibition games."

No. They're not. And saying that they are frames the entire debate under a false premise. Bowl games count on a team's record, just like every other game they play throughout the season. They officially matter. All star games are exhibitions. Pre-season games (NFL, college spring games) are exhibitions. Ever notice how no one cares when star players sit out of or limit their participation in those? Because exhibition games don't count for anything, and don't matter. 

What's at issue here is that games that count are being treated as exhibition games. That's the whole reason this debate exists. So saying that bowl games are exhibitions either is completely disingenuous or demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of the topic. 

Like I said, I have some other thoughts on the subject, but will leave it at that for now. There's nothing wrong with having a debate on things that people are passionate about. But that debate still needs to be had on legitimate terms. Calling bowl games exhibition games is objectively not valid. 

• Options

From what I understand, Bama just picked off Tech’s best player thanks to the portal. He is now predicted to be in the Heisman hunt next year. I don’t see how this helps the integrity of CFB.

• Options
    edited January 2022

@Hemingwey....Understand what you are saying, but there are hundreds of players in the portal. They won't all end up at the top programs IF they really want to play. They will have to go elsewhere which means - in theory - other mediocre and 2nd tier football programs should benefit. It may take a few seasons to really see the benefits at these other programs.

And I've said this before, but I'm not a big fan of the portal. It does help fill gaps. It would have helped the Dawgs tremendously this year if all the guys who transferred actually played. But we know how that turned out.

Yes, Bama picked off a 2020 4-star RB named Jahmyr Gibbs from Tech.

• Options
    edited January 2022

@E_Roc....yes, the opt-out conundrum in bowl games. I believe there are way too many bowl games in the first place. There are like 30+ games, and teams that are around .500 or maybe a bit better get a bowl. Crazy. So, we need to whittle back down the number of bowl games to less than 20, because right now so many of them don't really mean much to the players. That's the truth. Because there are so many they DO become less relevant. The college football gods did this to themselves, because they wanted more money.

Expanding the playoffs will make more of the top bowl games relevant. I mean, I didn't even start watching the bowl games until the Wednesday or Thursday after Christmas. Most of my friends didn't watch any until Friday. The bowls used to be special, but they aren't so much any longer. They've all been watered down due to overreach.

And another thing to think about. We've made the December early signing period as important or more important than the actual signing day in February. And because of this you are having this carousel of coaches leaving their positions to be hired by other teams in the middle of December - to be decided preferably before signing day. What message does that send to the players the coaches are leaving? Why should they play in this bowl game? What loyalty did the coach have? Again, the college football "system" has created this mess, so it will be up to them to clean it up if they want to return more bowls to relevancy.

• Options
    edited January 2022

@Dawgfan1995....I would also argue that players who are NOT heading to the NFL - think Stetson Bennett - just want to play the game. They don't want to spend their college years on scholarship or otherwise as a bench warmer. Less than 2% of college football players end up in the NFL.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

so Conner Riley replying to himself now on twitter? Lol

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Herbstreit was pulling hard for the Big 10 team. It was killing him that the best team in his conference couldn’t even make it competitive.