Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart’s Dawgs face another ‘one-game season’

2»

Comments

• rjallenrjallen Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

Bill, while I agree with your basic point. I am disappointed you too referred to the end of game christening as a "Gatorade" bath, While many years before most here could tell a bulldog from a collie, I know you remember when teams began to dole out electrolytic beverages, the Georgia Athletic Department absolutely refused to use any product the name gator. I seem to remember the Dawgs used "Bulldog Punch" and it was concocted by Coke. To this day you will not find the filthy term gator aid on the Georgia sidelines.

Happy New Year and I look forward to your wisdom in 2022.

• DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great article Bill, as usual, although I object to your characterization of Georgia fans who expect a national championship from this season or else will consider it a failure as "nattering nabobs of negativism" (love the alliteration, mind you, just don't care for the characterization).

Such a tone reflects what is wrong with much of the Georgia fan base- we think we're special enough to have all the championship hardware of Alabama, but place none of those expectations on the team. A choke in the 2017 national championship is viewed in the light of, it's ok, it was still a special season. Yes, it was a special season and put Georgia on the national map once again. BUT, what a missed opportunity. Bottom line is it was a blown lead that cost us the natty. We had Alabama by the b a l l s and let them off the hook. Had Alabama blown that lead, we all know their fans would have let the team know that, great season or not in terms of being one of the top teams in the country, it was ultimately a choke because they weren't *the* top team.

This is by far Georgia's deepest team since Smart took over and the one with the best chance to win it all. Our rivals in the East won't stay downtrodden forever. If the Dawgs lose to Alabama again, you and others can celebrate a season of 2nd place all you want. We can mint a Dawgs Natty Participation Trophy while we're at it. Myself and others will have none of it. I love the players and wish them nothing but the best on the field and in life. But if they can't get it done this time, they will have failed. I doubt that Davis and Wyatt decided to return with the mindset that 2nd place was good enough.

You might think me and other fans are harsh in our expectations, but that comes with the territory. Comes with a program that fancies itself as "elite". Elite is meaningless without a championship (and no, SEC East Champions doesn't count).

And for what it’s worth, I'm pretty sure most of us on this side of the expectation fence will lighten up a whole h e l l of a lot if just this once, Georgia could man up and beat Alabama.

Call it an elite expectation.

• BillKingBillKing Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

To MobileDawg. I wasn't. blaming Stetson. Clock management is the head coach's job.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Mr. King — DGD! Loved your analysis! And thanks for reminding me of my high school coach’s favorite epithet — “nabob”!

Go Dawgs! Hate on Bama!

• StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Although Stetson Bennett unfairly was tagged as a chief culprit in the Alabama loss (which was more the defense’s fault)"

Way too many times Bennett was made out to be the reason UGA lost. The defense never put much pressure on Bama's QB in the SECCG.....even Cincy rattled the tide's star player more, and remember how Auburn blitzed like it was a Black Friday sale, holding Bama to 10 points for 4 quarters. So the defense has to step it up.

Georgia's offense will need to start off fast again. Bama may still try to double team Bowers ...can they stop a healthier Pickens? Will need the same intensity from Stetson. Need to own the trenches offensively. No turnovers and the Dawgs can get what Kirby came home to accomplish.

Thanks for the article Bill, always have enjoyed your perspective on UGA....