Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jim Harbaugh: Georgia gave Michigan ‘heckuva football fight’ in Orange Bowl CFP Semifinal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,546 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageJim Harbaugh: Georgia gave Michigan ‘heckuva football fight’ in Orange Bowl CFP Semifinal

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Michigan outscored Georgia in the second half of the Orange Bowl, College Football Playoff Semifinal, a fact lost on many but surely not Coach Jim Harbaugh.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Michigan did the best it could but this score could have been 73-3. I was yelling “pull the starters” and “put in JT Daniels” through most of the second half.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Props to Coach Harbaugh! Classy take!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Harbaugh makes an excellent point. We got good yardage on first downs. As they say, if you can get 4+ yards on 1st downs then you are doing pretty well. We did better than that - especially in the 1st half. We've got to continue that against Bama to have a real shot at a victory. 3 and outs aren't going to cut the mustard, and not scoring points in the red zone isn't going to work either.

Overall, we got too conservative in the 2nd half which is something Kirby tends to do time and again once he gets a good lead. I disagree with that thinking, because it led to few points, bogged down drives, lost momentum, and gave Michigan the ball back with another chance to put up points.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jim got it right. Those pesky third and short. Thank you Todd Monken...you read them perfectly. The second half will not be conservative against Bama...no way. Kirby is going to unleash the Dawgs all four quarters this next time...guaranteed. This is it..for all the marbles. No holds barred. Going for it...all the way...one game between UGA and the CFP Crown.......TAKE IT GEORGIA! IT IS YOURS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems a bit silly to compare the 2 halves. The real game was in the first 2 quarters. After that, Michigan was frantically trying to score while UGA was playing conservative and killing the clock. Also, UGa was pulling starters in the 4th qtr.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think we didn't score but 1 TD in the second half on purpose. THe brilliant play calling in the 1st half gave way to run Cook up the middle for 2 plays in a row for no gain and that after an interception? Give SB 3rd and long and then let him try to make lemonaide out of lemons. THen we had that one drive where we had like 4 penalties in a row? That BS can't happen against the Tide. Very sloppy offensively. Play calling lacked any imagination like the 1st half. We should have scored in the high 40's.

We massacred them but still didn't play 2 great halves. We will need 2 great halves against BAMA. Won't be able to milk the clock, (if) we can get up on them.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, Smart should've put in JT at some point and especially after that big blindsided tackle late in the game. I have to wonder if he almost wants Bennett to get hurt so he can put in JT. Injuries to 1st string players late in a blowout are not acceptable.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good grief can we just enjoy a big win for one day before we get back to nit picking? Even the players are allowed that much.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dominant win but, like many on here, I really wish we would stop coasting in the second half. The other team did not stop trying to score so neither should we. Unless they just say "we're done" then we should also not be done.

And when they scored that touchdown and then had the nerve to go for 2 when it meant nothing? That was done simply to show you up. I'd have gone long on them just to bump the score back up. If they want to play, so do I.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Show up the guys that are about to beat you by more than 3 touchdowns?

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

Some of you blow my mind. Negative. Negative. Negative. Must be a peach to live with.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great job Georgia players and staff. I think it was brilliant to re-install the confidence of the defense and shorten the game in the second half and limit the opportunities for injury. Less plays in the half by both teams, the less opportunities to get hurt. The objective was to advance and we did that with a convincing win. No need for style points in this game. With all that said, we are going to need to throw the whole playbook at Alabama for 60 minutes.

• Options
    cokeman24cokeman24 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Harbaugh actually said "it wasn't our best but certainly was theirs". What a lowlife. He was outcoached, outplayed, outhustled and outclassed in every phase of the game. Clemson is a far better team than Michigan. Our Dawgs were the better team on the field last night. Harbaugh needs to go back to the NFL, where his arrogant attitude fits in better

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2022

It wasn't the touchdown. I have no issue with that because that is what they are supposed to do and our defense's job is always to stop them the entire game. It was the unnecessary 2 point conversion that meant nothing other than "look what we can do to your third string" that bugged me. I felt that that move deserved another score on our part. I knew we wouldn't but thought we should.

And I hate second half coasting. If we want to coast midway through the fourth, fine,but anything can happen in 8 minutes, including 3 quick scores. Do not forget, we scored like that a few times this year (think 3 scores in just over 2 minutes against florida just before halftime). Let's also not forget our loss in the championship to Alabama after being way up. You are playing for a National Championship. You give 100% the entire game. You are not there to make friends.

And I know I'll get folks reading into this incorrectly but, if we are going to coast and insert second and third string, why do we substitute everyone exept our quarterback? If Bennett is going to be the guy and he showed he was deserving, then why is he in during garbage time when every other player on the field is a backup? We saw Matt Corral get hurt last night during the "meat" of a game. It can happen so why is your starter in when you aren't trying to score?

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I recall, that's what us Georgia fans said about the SEC Championship game. Alabama had their first complete game of the year and we were off. Alabama had something to do with that, just like Georgia had something to do with Michigan's performance. And folks saying we shouldn't have take the foot of the gas in the 4th quarter, come on. We didn't need to risk injury to our starters. As for leaving Stetson in, I don't know the reason.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wouldn’t call getting beat 34-11 as a start. It’s a beat down.