Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Star QB Caleb Williams creates national buzz after entering transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageStar QB Caleb Williams creates national buzz after entering transfer portal

Monday’s biggest news in college football was that Oklahoma star Caleb Williams announced that he was entering the NCAA transfer portal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't know what to think. Is this good news or bad news for UGA? If he transfer to UGA then Vandagriff and Stockton might transfer out. Who, among the three, would we rather have? Williams has already proven he can play at a high level in College.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Wow…..I totally agree. I have no idea what JT is thinking, but this would be a stake in his heart so he’d probably transfer out and Bennett would likely retire. Beck would also possibly leave and I have no idea what Brock and Gunner would think. Oh well, we may soon find out who’s not afraid of competition.

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

No Qb will transfer here for a while after seeing Eason,Jamie,and JT literally getting the life **** out of there careers trusting Kirby!!! Seriously could you honestly blame any of them? All we know is they were all promising only to come here ride the oak and never even get a shot at a decent Nfl career!!!! We better pray Brock lights it up next year!!!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know Williams has created a lot of buzz, talking about before his entering the portal. But looking at his stats, I'm wondering why UGA would take the chance.

Bennett: Played 13 Games. 64.5% 2635 YDS. 10.1 Average. 27-TD. 7-INT. QB Rating 177.65. Passing YPG - 202.7.

Williams: Played 11 Games. 64.5% 1912 YDS. 9.1 Average. 21-TD. 4 -INT. QB Rating 169.63. Passing YPG - 173.8.

Bennett has another year of eligibility. Willians has 3-4? They look like similar players, with Williams likely having a greater ceiling. But is it worth upsetting the apple cart?

It will be interesting to see how the QB room shakes out. Either way, I believe in Kirby.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

When LRiley left OU for USC, Stevie Wonder could've seen this coming. I see him going to USC. Would you rather be a star in OK or a star in LA? No brainer. The good news is that OSU, AL, UGA and probably FU aren't getting him. The UGA QB room will be chaotic next year even without CWilliams in the room. Williams comes to UGA and the only QB that stays is Stockton. Don't forget Vandagriff was the glue of the '20 class recruiting, guiding and hosting the other players during the pandemic limitations. BV and BBowers are also close. BV (85%) and GS (15%) need to be the QB's next year and BV (65%) and GS (35%) in '23.  aTm is getting everybody else. Keep an eye on aTm.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

So I wonder if this guy goes to USC would that kill any idea JT has of going Back to USC ?? My Real and for the moment Only concern is that Both Brock and Gunner Stay at UGA. Please !! I’d be very nauseated to see Either of them leave Before we can see what they can Really do in Real games.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh Man I’d be extremely nauseated for Months if Brock Bowers were to leave. The Only reason I could possibly think of him leaving though would be being home sick. He gets the ball thrown to him Allot !! Dawgs have even let him run the ball I remember at least once maybe more. He seems Very well liked by fellow players and coaches love him. Dawgs fan base want to name their children after him lol !! So home sickness I think, I hope, I pray would be the only way Bowers leaves other than when he more than apt leaves for the NFL after his Junior year. It’s Awesome to see Bowers playing and realize that as a True Freshman his Best is yet to come !! His Best ??!!?? Wow !! If Bowers continues on the Very upward path he’s on and barring injury ( please No !!) I don’t see why not, in years to come at UGA his name will become legend mentioned in the same breath as Herschel Walker !! As a True Freshman I’m not sure we!ve Ever had a TE as good. Have we ?? Leonard Pope would be in that conversation But I don’t think even Leonard was as good as a True Freshman. I tell ya this Transfer Portal is scary !! Can be very good even great but can also be terrible !! That’s one of the main reasons we need to win the Natty THIS time !! Win it and Recruits will come and Most of the great guys will stay. Most players want to play for a Winner, especially the highest winner. Sorry so lengthy. I get carried away lol ! 😀

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope he stays away from the sec.

• SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not that it matters, but I will take BV and GS....and possibly Arch Manning?(not likely). Need to continue to grow the WR room through future recruits.

• sfalexansfalexan Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

What’s the story with Carson Beck? He’s got to hit the portal, right? He’s a 4 star guy who could be starting at a second tier school next year.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. I've been assuming he was heading to USC since the minute I heard Riley was hired there. And of course that isn't going to happen without his entering the portal. So at this point, this isn't much of a story. I mean, I guess the fact that we won't be nearly the rebuild job that USC will be over the next two years might be something for him to consider. But I'm going to need to see/hear a lot more before I see this as any real possibility.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This from an article on 24/7 Sports yesterday: "Georgia seems like the spot for Williams, regardless of whether you believe in the Bulldogs' track record with QBs. Georgia will have a new starter at QB next year and even though it's stacked with talent at that position, Kirby Smart will look to go with a sure thing."

https://247sports.com/Article/Caleb-Williams-transfers-where-will-he-go-Oklahoma-impact-179762301/

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

"But is it worth upsetting the apple cart?"

Hilarious that you think we have an apple cart at QB and not a s**t wagon . . . or that it could be more "upset" than it is. With the exceptions of RB and OLB, the QB position has had the most per capita talent under Smart. He has been tremendous in nearly every coaching regard except for managing the QBs. I am convinced that Daniels has been hurt and simply could not play, but how does that explain zero game time for Beck or Brock? Trying to preserve eligibility? Not CKS's approach. Why SBIV over Beck way back in the early season? Did he think that Beck would not develop beyond his trigger-happiness? Did he think SBIV would grow his ceiling?

Williams would only come to UGA if he is given the ball next year. And, to CKS's credit, he would never promise that. Either way, I think that what we all want is to see behind the curtain once the season ends. What were the factors for the QB decisions?

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad I can actually see the upside of positive recruiting. As in having Two 5-stars and two 4-star players in the QB room. That might be the best depth in CFB... If you think that's a "s**t wagon" I don't know what would possibly make you feel good about your team...

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USC has a decent team. Added some good players in this class and will add more from the TP. They could easily win the PAC12 next year and make the playoff. Winning is important but building a brand and NIL puts money in your pocket at the end of the day. A lot more money to be had in LA. Still a no brainer unless the kid wants to go to aTm. Those 2 teams make the most sense.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty straightforward. Smart clearly has the ability to sell QBs (not sure why WRs can't be convinced), so he'll be pushing for his sale. 

I certainly couldn't imagine why ANY QB would commit to us prior to the decisions being made by our existing guys (unless Smart can tell him unofficially the status). At least one will transfer (Beck, certainly has to) and based on our recent history of QBs, I couldn't imagine someone feeling like they have a good chance to play. There's no reason why Bennett wouldn't stay another year and no reason to believe that Smart wouldn't start him every game next year. Keep in mind that JT has a 72% Passing Completion and a 155 rating and isn't getting ANY playing time, Beck only got 23 attempts and Vandagriff got only one attempt. "Competing for the job" doesn't seem to apply to QBs. You have to wait until an injury to get a chance.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No player is going to say ANYTHING prior to the completion of the Championship game. I expect decisions to be made pretty quickly starting next Tuesday.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

Actually Beck was recruited by Bama to be the quarterback in his class. Once kirby flipped him to UGA, Saban went full bore on signing Young. Saban obviously felt Beck could start for Alabama if properly coached and developed.

It should also be noted Kirby flipped Fromm from Bama. Saban back filled with Mac Jones which was a 4* for a 3*, that seemed to have worked out pretty well for him

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

GA don't need Caleb Williams.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t want this guy. He is not a team player.