Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Stetson Bennett: ‘I’m going to play football this year — we’ll see where’

Comments

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope we can all trust Coach Smart to play the best quarterback on the team. If that is the case, Stetson is facing an uphill battle to retain the starting job. It's unfortunate that Stetson became the target of a lot fans this year, but indicating you may not be able to trust the coach is not the way to win them back into his corner. Stetson and UGA were a great story in 2021, and if Stetson comes back the story may not be so great because he will surely be competing for the starting QB job. If coming back is his choice, he will be well served to lose the chip on his shoulder and follow JT Daniel's example and not complain and create discord about losing his job.

If Stetson returns Coach Smart will need to set aside his loyalty to Stetson and focus on the fact that he is the coach, developer and motivator of all the quarterbacks.

I think Stetson is implying that Coach Smart might say all the things Stetson wants to hear in order to get him back for another year and avoid the uproar that will occur if Stetson transfers. I suspect that Stetson feels the quarterback position should not be decided by open competition, that in fact he has earned the starting QB position.

ATLDawgforever has nailed it, and in the process has pointed out things that many of us were reluctant to say.

Big Mike: The medical staff determines when a player returns to practice and competition. Daniels should not be criticized for the medical staff's decisions.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm with you on this one, big time. Think of this: the Dawgs won the National Championship with a walk-on QB, a touchdown from a guy with two knees that were previously blown-out, and three touchdowns from freshmen. That doesn't even include getting through the regular season undefeated (and top 10 in FBS in scoring) with the worst rolling injury list I can recall!

Trolls can troll all they want, but those simple facts make this achievement all the more remarkable :)

Cannot believe someone else is thinking this... I've been thinking Bobo all week!

Exactly! I think he's referring to staffing challenges, not players...

The real issue in this thread of conversation is the starting quarterback for next year. I am not complaining about Stetson's play this year and I'm delighted that we won. Much of the conversation posted here is response to Stetson's concern about trusting what the coaches tell him concerning his role on the team next year. My reaction was that his comment was inappropriate and that he wants assurance that he will be the starting QB for 2022.. I don't expect Smart will do that. I wish Stetson the best. If he comes back fine, but let's determine the QB starter on the football field without any assurances in January 2022.

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is just not a good look for SBIV. In a post-game interview, he declared that he knew he was the best QB on the team with the tone of voice of "I told you so." Fact is, he is not the best QB on the team. He was the best option at the time. This quote probably needs a whole lot more context and 'splainin - but the implication is that, with all others healthy and further developed, he is clearly the best choice to start next year and is, in a clear way, owed the position. A previous commentor stated that Bennett beat the Heisman Trophy winner. To be clear, no, he did not. He played his position and did well. That's it. Bryce Young threw 2 picks and still had a better QBR (by double digits) for the game.

If all return, which would shock all of us, he is perhaps third on the depth chart next year, probably fourth with Gunnar redshirting. If JT is healthy, he started every game this year. If Beck made a couple better throws against, UAB, he starts the rest of the season.

He did a great job against Michigan and in the big game. Frankly, he played his best two games, by far, in his last two . . . which surprised everyone. For his sake, the coaches' sanity, and the fans, I hope he walks away with his legacy intact. He won't do any better next year and only retard's the next guy's progress. I mean, he's 25 years old and just lived out a dream. Time to move on.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SB was the QB who led the team to a NC for the 1st time in 41 years. We've had lots of decent to really good QB's and none of them could pull it off. Not even AAron Murray at the end of that SECC game. So, you have to give the man his due. We all know he's not the most talented arm but he and Buck Belue are Legends. CAn't take it away. He could have choked but he didn't in fact he played his best when it counted most.

edited January 2022

Kudzu: 2021 was a remarkable achievement on the part of the whole team. Stetson deserves the two most valuable player trophies, and we were lucky to have him. None of that is being disputed. The issue is do we play our best quarterbacks next year, and is it appropriate for Stetson to be asking coach Smart for promises about his role on the team, and if he asked for that promise or comittment, it should have remained between himself and Smart.

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson Bennett will always be a legend at GA. He might not be the most physically gifted QB, but physicality isn't the only thing that makes for success in a QB. And when it comes to Bryce Young, no one can compare to him. He's literally the best QB I've ever seen. I've never seen any other QB that possesses "above average" in every aspect of a QB. He has vision of the entire field, even while on the move. He has a strong arm and quick release. He's very accurate. He has speed and quickness. He also possesses a very high football IQ. The kid has it all. I've never seen any other QB that has everything, like Bryce does. With that being said, the GA coaches will play the players that will give GA the best chances of winning...and for this year's team, it was Stetson Bennett. And that's mainly due to the less than stellar play of our O-Line most of the time, making the team depend more on a QB with the most mobility, experiences and throwing abilities combined. This is due mainly to the lack of size and experiences of playing together as a unit. So if Stetson do come back next season, he will have to compete just like any other QB on the team. And once again, the coaches will start whomever they feel will give that particular team the best opportunity to win. And that's just fact....