Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia quarterback shuffle, Jermaine Burton transfer news cause stir on social media

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia quarterback shuffle, Jermaine Burton transfer news cause stir on social media

Georgia football had a busy day of news with the transfer portal and Stetson Bennett returning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Burton decision is puzzling. He would've been in a great position for an expanded role at UGA.

But this free agency - transfer portal is like the wild West. I don't believe for a second that rival coaches are waiting for these players to enter the portal. There's likely plenty of pre-portal poaching going on. It will be interesting to see where Burton lands.

• MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

With Stetson's decision to return, I understand and support Jermaine's decision to leave-though I hate to see him go.

Like Mike Griffith points out, Stetson only throws about 15-20 times a game on average, and most of those to Brock Bowers and very few passes downfield outside the numbers-not many opportunities for Jermaine to show his skills.

I would much rather see Stetson leave and Jermaine stay. At least Jermaine got a "Natty" out of it, and they can't take that away from him.

He will go to an elite offense like Alabama and show off his receiver talent as he couldn't at UGA.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Burton bolt is very big. He can hurt UGA if he stays in the SEC.

• Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

Welcome to the new world of college football. This is unfortunately going to happen on a team with as much talent as Ga . I wish they would all stay but it's just not going to happen. If our biggest problem is the starting QB on the National Championship team is returning then we are going to be fine. Kirby is as good as anybody around at bringing in talent. Let him do his job and lets enjoy the ride.

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

There are some idiotic comments on social media. Those folks shouldn't consider coaching.

It's actually hilarious.

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Burton wants to go that's his life and his decision. Bowers took a lot of targets away and rightly so. I'm sure Burton has his reasons, so I wish him well. Bowers is a star. AD showed what he can do. I hope Darnell W. stays and becomes a weapon on the other side. Scary to think what he could do with a full, healthy season. The cupboard isn't bare. This transfer portal deal has made it way too easy IMO. But who cares what I think. These guys who want to transfer should think long and hard. D Rob got lost in obscurity. Others might too. Their life. But UGA's trajectory makes me wonder why someone wouldn't want to be a part of that. Guess they need to be the man somewhere else to try and improve draft stock. Can't fault someone for that.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Really hate to see Jermaine leave. Wish him the Very best as long as it’s not against the Dawgs. But like I said on another thread that portal door swings both ways !! Right now things “ look” sort of bad but I am confident in Kirby and his staff. He’ll get the guys we need. And he’s already said No One is guaranteed a position. So let the competition at All positions begin !! Dawgs are gonna be fine and right back in the mix to compete for another National Title !! Just Think of all Kirby has achieved in Really the short time he’s been at UGA, When you Do consider all he’s done !! Go Dawgs !!

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

JT + JB = package deal. Think it's a coincidence they announced w/in an hour of each other? Watch Notre Dame and Texas A&M. Gonna light it up. Good luck to both of them. Gotta do what's right for you.

• BuckdawgBuckdawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

I wonder if coaches encourage certain players to leave?

• Ga247Ga247 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Apparently you're still pissed off about Stet winning the Natty after all your posts telling us that the Dawgs would NEVER win it all with him at QB. That's cool, you certainly have a right to your opinion.

I doubt that anyone thinks it's a coincidence that JT is leaving. My God, the man couldn't beat out a former walk-on for the starting job. Hopefully he can find somewhere that will just give him the job and he won't have to compete for it. I wish him the best.

As for JB, I'm surprised that he chose to leave, but if he doesn't want to be a part of this team then he doesn't need to be here. I'm sure you're probably right in your assumption that JB is chasing JT. Apparently, like you, he is convinced that JT is the greatest QB ever to play the game and that Coach Smart is just too **** to see how wonderful they would be together. They may very well end up as a package deal as you suggest. If that happens I wish them nothing but success.

I'm happy that Stetson decided to return but I don't believe for a minute that he will automatically be made the starter based on past performance alone. When spring practice starts, I believe every QB on the roster will be given the opportunity to compete and whoever gives us the best chance to win will be the Dawgs QB. I don't think Kirby isn't nearly as **** about his QB's as some people think he is.

Having said that, I can help but wonder how JB will feel if JT spends another year riding the pine somewhere while BVG or Gunner Stockton are lighting it up in Athens. Only time will tell.

GO DAWGS!!

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Burton will end up at Bama. Unfortunate for us. Bryce Young can make any wide receiver look good. All in pursuit of the high first round pick. It sucks, but money talks I guess. Oh well, it is what it is. We'll be fine....next man up. Stetson Bennett is a home grown, loyal Dawg til the end. And to all you sorry excuses for fans who are hating on Stetson, I can't stand your guts and don't want you being any part of us real GA Bulldogs football fans. Go find another team to cheer for. Try GA Tech or something.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UPDATE: UGA has a group of former fans who are being encouraged to enter the Transfer Portal. If your program fan base should need a boost, this would be a great addition to your school. This group has been following and rooting for UGA thru the last 5 seasons in which UGA has 5 top 10 finishes (4 top 3) and 5 top 3 recruiting classes. They are all likely more knowledgeable of football and coaching than any members of your current coaching staff. Names include Zcupps, steve1995, rumdawg, bigdog89, vetdog, BG522,T_Dawg, MickyR, GardenDawg, TNDAWG81, and prldawg, MGriff. The list is growing. Package deal.    GODAWGS!

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate to these guys go.

I want to see the strapping big new guys get their shots.

That said, somebody in one of the many reaction videos said of Stetson, "he loved Georgia more than it loved him". And he did it for us.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

I agree with most of what you said. But you, and others, need to get something through your heads. Daniels did win the starting job. He did beat out Bennett. He then took on a couple of significant injuries, Bennett played well enough that, we can only surmise, Smart and Monken didn't see any need to rock the boat with another mid-season quarterback change, and the rest is history. In perpetuating this false narrative that Daniels some scrub who couldn't outperform a last-resort option at his position, you're just as guilty as every Bennett hater of needlessly bad-mouthing a guy who came here wanting to play for Georgia. Not only that, you don't seem to realize that you're also putting Bennett himself down in framing the situation that way.

Enough already. Liking one guy more, or wanting to defend him, is not license to trash the other. That's a two-way street.