Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jermaine Burton transfer shows why Kirby Smart, Nick Saban warned others about transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageJermaine Burton transfer shows why Kirby Smart, Nick Saban warned others about transfer portal

Georgia football saw Jermaine Burton transfer to Alabama on Sunday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe if Kirby starts signing 2-Stars, nobody but us will want them.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey y’all Please forgive the waaay off topic on my part. I’m not a NFL fan ( I quit caring about them quite a few years back). I sure don’t care about anything coming out of L.A. BUT being as it’s a Dawg that is QB for the Rams and a possible Super Bowl win………. Well gotta pull for Matt Stafford !!

• MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

The move to Bama makes sense for Jermaine Burton.  

Bama consistently produces one-thousand-yard WRs, but it’s been 20 years since UGA produced one.  

The one-time-transfer rule worked for players like Jermaine, which allows him to go to Bama, where his skills are better used than at UGA.  

Bama is a much better choice for elite WRs than UGA, but UGA just won a National Championship without elite WR or QB play.  

The transfer portal does make roster management more challenging, but I am confident that Kirby will use it to make improvements as needed.

Go Dawgs!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

100% of blame can be placed on the NCAA. The TV show Ballers was completely correct in calling them the most "corrupt organization in the world". The moment they gave Justin Fields a free pass with high profile lawyers like Tom Mars and giving in to fear and greed and doing it all behind closed doors - it was all over. Preventing kids with LEGITIMATE reasons to transfer only made things worse. The combination of that plus refusing to share any of their revenue forced the Supreme Court to allow NIL deals and the old college football is dead.

This year is definitely different for us - I don't recall players on our team transferred to SEC schools before and definitely not for Bama.

The Portal CAN absolutely be a good thing. If a player transfers from a Top 5 program and winds up in an unranked, lower tier school then it's a Win-Win. This means they clearly aren't likely going to be a starter and we can often free up a Scholarship slot.

I would like to see the coaches of Top Recruiting Classes (Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc) agree to not sign players from other Top Recruiting Class schools. This is in all of these school's best interests. It's not in Bama's best interest to take a Georgia recruit as we can also do the same to them. Top Recruiting classes have far more to lose than to gain. If someone like Burton knows they can't transfer to a Top 5 or even Top 10 school, they aren't likely to leave.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's too late now but me thinks Kirby should have tried to score more points late in the third and the whole 4th quarter. I know it would have been piling on but look where it has gotten us as far as the best receiver's perception of UGA. We don't throw it, much.

The genie is out of the bottle.

• doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

This likely will not turn out for well for JB. I wish him well, but in the 2021 and 2022 recruiting cycles, Bama signed 7 players with 247 recruiting rankings higher than JB's 2020 ranking (#15). 5 of those were in 2021. Also, I'm pretty sure Bama still requires solid/consistent perimeter blocking by its WRs. Not a strong suit for JB.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Win some, lose some! I hate Burton is gone, but we will have some good WRs this year - GO DAWGS!

Hey Connor favor please. If you have this info readily available please post it. How many pass attempts did Stetson make Regular and Post season ? If you’ve already posted this I apologize. For this post I just need to know the number of attempts. Thanks in advance.

SB 280 pass attempts. Roughly 20 per game-Young basically double that.

I bet Stetson alone not counting JT made allot more Attempts than some might think. I didn’t say completions. So why does he throw to Brock Bowers so often ? Well because Brock Finds a way to get open. And if the ball is even vaguely catchable he Will catch it. Why ? Because he’s willing to stretch out to catch the ball which is many times very painful. Also willing to take a wicked hit he Knows is coming !!

So to all the WRs already at UGA or considering coming to UGA are you gonna Compete and Challenge Brock to have more balls thrown your way ?? Or transfer ?? Or decommit ?? If your those later two sounds like your afraid of competition for passes against a TE, albeit he’s a Fantastic TE and you might end up Watching him on Sundays !!

No QB that I know of can throw the ball and catch it to !! It’s the WRs responsibility to get open and then catch the ball when it’s thrown to him. Had George Pickens been healthy at 100% I’m confident that he would have cut pretty deep into Bowers number of targets. George is Willing to stretch out to make the catch or like Bowers take a wicked hit. That’s why he to will play on Sundays.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

" The talent isn’t being shared, it’s just being repackaged and shifted around. Power programs like Georgia and Alabama will continue to get the more developed, top-of-the-line prospects, with the lesser programs fighting for those who aren’t playing as much as they would like at Georgia and Alabama."

So true Connor.

As has been posted by several people concerning this subject on various articles, the inequality of teams is only going to increase with the combination of NIL deals and the transfer portal. I said this a while ago when the decision was announced to do away with the one year sit-out requirement if you transferred in the portal. You will probably get some Power 5 low tier teams a bit of help here and there...what I would call as "crumbs"....but it's not going to vault many if any of those programs into National Championship or even playoff contention - especially if the playoffs don't expand much.

And if you were a top WR with the uncertainty at QB that we CONTINUE to have at Georgia, then you can see why Burton left. I mean, who really knows who starts at QB for the Dawgs next season? You can't blame players like Burton for jumping ship, because the top players want and need playing time. And for most of them in the portal that means playing at one of the top programs. The system is showing its flaws and compromises. You get the good with the bad, and it all comes down to the almighty dollar.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Burton plays at the #3 receiver at Bama it will be because he earned. Saban won't issue any playing time based on virtue.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetsons stats:

185 for 287 for 2862 yards

64.5% completion rate with 29 TD's to 7 INT's

20.5 attempts per game and 204 yards per game average and he rushed for 259 yards on the year which includes his sack losses

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spot on MontanaDawg.