Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jermaine Burton transfer shows why Kirby Smart, Nick Saban warned others about transfer portal

2»

Comments

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not an apples to apples comparison. BY played (had to play) many more minutes and snaps per game than SBIV because of close games that UGA didn't have. Same can be said for many of the def stats people/pundits talk about - sacks, TFL, QB hurries, etc. If you play more plays as a starter, you get more opportunities to get stats. Our def and offense was often off the field by the 3rd qtr - sometimes the end of the 1st half.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I knew I’d get down voted for not getting into lock step with the common narrative. But the Truth is McConkey, AD Mitchell and Bowers all bought into the program and all three have done Very well. These guys transferring think that’ll solve all their problems. Wrong !! There are no gimmes in the NFL. The guy that’s willing to work Extra hard against Both internal competition and opposition with equal talent ( sometimes not even equal talent) will be the one that makes the cut !!

• Options

So though I appreciate very much the contributions from the transferring guys I think their making a huge mistake. Get open for the QB catch the ball when it’s thrown to you and you’ll probably get targeted more. NOW in order to do that many times you have to be Willing to punish your body by making that extra effort to catch the ball. I’ve never heard those three or George Pickens complain about the QB in the media.

• Options

If you go back and look at these three and four counting George. All of them had that Willimgness that Extra that it takes to go from very good to great . Look at McConkey he wasn’t even thought to be in the mix so early. But he Worked for it Sacrificed for it and Getting even better. In the long haul we want guys who have those characteristics.

• Options

But what I’d Really love is to recruit someone who can fix this freaking Refresh !!!! 🤪

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

True, SB averaged around 19 attempts per game and Young was close to 36, BUT in our tough games (Clemson, Bama x2 and Michigan) Bennett averaged close to 35 passes which equals Bryce’s output. This is 100% because in all the other games we were totally annihilating our opponents by mid 3rd quarter and only a knucklehead would be passing the ball. The low pass count is NOT because of a weakness….it’s a reflection of our overall strength and domination in both aspects (rushing and passing). Similar to Bennett’s passing during the season is Bryce Young only throwing 27 passes for less than 190 yards against Cincinnati…..not because he can’t pass, but because Bama had over 300 yards rushing.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're right it's not necessary a weakness to throw less, but it does speak to your offensive philosphy and to the perceived abilities of your QB and receivers and how much you trust them.

• Options

You throw less because your run game is working. NOt being able to run puts added pressure on your QB and receivers. THen sometimes you just throw it more becasue that's what your best at.

• Options

You throw less because your run game is working. NOt being able to run puts added pressure on your QB and receivers. THen sometimes you just throw it more becasue that's what your best at.

• Options

Sometimes you're the KC CHiefs and you could kinda care less about running.

I really thought, we were capable of just marching down the field through the air most every time we got the ball. BUt I know the balance thing Kirby likes. What does he know? LOL!