Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football hires former offensive coordinator Mike Bobo as analyst, per report

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Sorry dude, Stet dropped a perfectly thrown pass into the back of the end zone to Mitchel and got the ball out to Brock under heavy pressure for a TD. Give it up and give Bennett his due. As well as the D played, if Bennett doesn’t make those plays, Dawgs lose.

JT’s stock in the portal is an excellent indication Kirby and Monken knew exactly what they were doing with the QBs and gives me great confidence going forward!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought workers had to be present for the “construction zone” aspect to kick in. I doubt there were workers at 9:25 pm. Still, is there anywhere in Winder that has speed limits in excess of 55, the limit posted for the “construction zone”? Furthermore, he’s lucky not to have been charged as a “super speeder” in a construction zone.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2022

While Bobo had some success at UGA in the past, his last 3 positions have been a disaster. Not sure this is the right direction to be going.

• Options
    MantiTeosGirlfriendMantiTeosGirlfriend Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Love it or hate it, Mark Richt’s loyalty to his coordinators is what ultimately cost him his job and Bobo has been forced from one place to another ever since for a reason. I really like him in an “analyst” role, but the guy was like Cheney as an OC: uninspired. If we had had someone like Monken in 2012 or 2017 and don’t spew constant 3 and outs against Bama, we win those games. Again, I LIKE Bobo, but analyst/QB coach should be his upper limit.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For starters, I was never a fan of Mark Richt as "HC". Your point about loyalty is spot on, the key difference in the decisions to bring Muschamp on board last year and now Bobo is that CKS is "firmly" in control of his program, yes they are friends but they are both good at what they do. IMO CMR was soft in a lot of leadership areas. He struggled with making tough decisions, I don't see that in Kirby. I believe the dynamics of the relationships are different with Smart, there is a level of respect of CKS's position vs that of CMR in the eyes of the players, coaches, and the university itself.

• Options
    BuckdawgBuckdawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

I like Bobo but he did have that bonehead 4th & 1 incomplete pass against the gamecocks.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally Disagree with you on CMR. Had he had the same Resources, Support from the brass at UGA, and been in the playoff system instead of the Extremely biased Bowl Championship crap he might well have won Two National Championships in his tenure. But he had to work for a large part of his time under possibly the worse AD that UGA has ever had. The brass at UGA wouldn’t pony up even vaguely the $$ they have for Kirby ( VERY Thankful we have Kirby, none of my comments are to knock on him) with CMR having to offer to pay his staff raises out of his own pocket !! Then lastly the Bowl Biased Group the majority of which despised UGA !! No Mark Richt was a Very Good coach but coming from Florida and not being a UGA alum he was considered an outsider by many ( still is) . Just go back and take a Close look at his first seven years in particular, which is about the same amount of time Kirby now has. Allot of people use Mark’s Faith to accuse him of being “soft” when actually it was the reverse. ONE DUI got you benched a game maybe even two under CMR same thing for busted for MJ use or any other bad run in’s with the law. That’s not soft. The thing is NO ONE will ever know For Sure good or bad what CMR might have been able to accomplish had he had the same tool kit as Kirby. Like the Indoor Practice facility just for one that he never had. I could go on to even more. I’m Extremely Glad that the powers at UGA opened their Very fat purse for Kirby. KS is like CMR a Very Good coach and UGA finally saw that they could Make $$ off the football program, Plus Kirby attended UGA as a Student/Player where as CMR didn’t. CMR Is and Always will be a DGD in my book just like Kirby is !!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Navydawg, I'm not knocking CMR's faith whatsoever. There are a lot of college coaches who place their faith in Christ but don't wear it on their sleeve to the degree CMR did. Richt was at a disadvantage but I believe a lot of it was because he didn't push hard enough to get what he wanted, in a lot of areas.

I didn't want to start a CMR debate but inevitably anytime his name comes up it stirs controversy.

My point was that the culture, thus relationships are different now than during the Richt tenure. I think Kirby will be able to separate professional vs personal relationships where Coach Richt couldn't or didn't.

• Options

First let me say I Sure Hope that Coach Monken will Stay at UGA. He’s a Great OC. PAY Him to Keep him !! Now THIS Mike Bobo is a Totally different version !! And I believe Better version. His first two stops after UGA stink, stank, stunk in terms of Resources and Recruiting (much of which rests on the lack of resources recruits dont want to go to a university with the locker room of a Class A HS). His third stop at Auburn couldn’t have been at a much worse time. They were in a shambles there and trying to rebuild. Still are to a large extent. BUT mean while these 3 stops gave Bobo much more experience, good, bad, and in between. He’s faced all kinds of defenses now. Some where he was the absolute final decision maker. Some where he had to line up with two different HCs. This is a Much more experienced and mature version than the young Still wet behind the ears OC he was at UGA. Now he’s at a Very powerful UGA !! His being set up for success at UGA now is By Far better than his three stops after his last UGA stent. And again this is a much more experienced and mature man. So IF Monken were to leave I wouldn’t be so quick to strike his name off the list. Bobo and Muschamp have Even More motivation to shine their Very Best at UGA, both of them sons are players at UGA now. No man wants to be embarrassed in front of his own son !!

• Options

Yes Richt wore his Faith on his sleeve. The Holy Bible says quoting Jesus “ If your ashamed of me before men I will be ashamed of you before my Father”. So Yes he absolutely wore his Faith on his sleeve BUT he never forced his Faith off on anyone that I know of. Neither did he threaten players to believe the same as him else they’d ride the bench. Musa Smith raved about the respect he had for CMR and he was a Moslem. And CMR offering to pay his coaching staff out of his own pocket is not pushing hard enough ?? No he was not from Georgia or an UGA alum and thus he didn’t have the “inside” connections that Kirby has enjoyed. And again I’m Thrilled and Vastly Happy that UGA doesn’t treat Kirby the way they did Mark Richt. I’m not gonna rehash all the points of my previous comment over again. But there’s No True Way to make a Fair comparison between the two coaches. No way. Mark Richt did not fail UGA, if anything it’s the reverse. And Yes my hackles fly up ( NOT saying YOU in particular questioned his Faith or belittled him due to his Faith and I apologize if I came across as speaking to You in a personal way ) when I hear people call him St. Richt or Holy Joe Richt. And comments like he’d have fared better to be a Christian Counselor than a football coach and all the other bashing . And the he’s “soft” because he loved his players to much blah blah. David Pollack is just one of gosh numerous players that I’d sure hate to have to be facing in the other side of the ball Far from soft !! And the thing is Mark Richt STILL Loves UGA with all his heart !! And the State of Ga. to for that matter. As I understand it if I heard correctly he’s actually moved back to Athens !! And he was Very, Very complimentary of UGA the whole time he was HC at Miami !! So complimentary of UGA I often thought to myself gosh he’s gonna have those Hurricane fans mad at him if he doesn’t tone it down some about UGA !! And he’s an alum of That school !! Again Not saying YOU no sarcasm at you I promise. But some Dawgs fans act like they near Hate the man !! Why ??!!?? What does he have to do to earn DGD status in their eyes ?? I Love Kirby !! I do !! Super Glad he’s the HC. But a short while back in history he was courted to be the DC at UGA an at That time he didn’t just turn down the offer he Slammed it down !! And I’ll admit it took me a pretty good while to swallow that bitter pill. I’m sure not a fan of Wikipedia but the way they have it laid out Is pretty good. I challenge any Dawgs fan to go back and take a Hard & Honest look at CMR’s first seven years and Stop and Consider how things were Then in all facets and compare that to these most recent 7 years. Also of note Richt did beat Saban Twice, once when Saban was at LSU and once when he was at Bama. And came within 5 yds short ( Murray pass to Conley) of beating him again and facing Notre Dame which most people believe the Dawgs would have beat. Anyway I’m done. Nothing personal against you or anyone else, but when I see people using hindsight to elevate Kirby while lowering Mark I’m gonna chime in because it’s Not a fair comparison when the circumstances of the times are not factored in. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm tickled pink to see Coach Bobo come back. If Coach Monken leaves, I'm totally comfortable putting Bobo in as OC, would be a great fit. In his early days as the OC, he had "ground and pound" talent and used it to our best advantage. We simply didn't have the talent at the right positions to go heavily to the air. When Aaron Murray came along, we had receiving talent also and he used it to produce a high scoring offense by using the available talent. If you know anything about football, you can't make an offense that's built to run the ball, go pass happy - just look at 1980, 1 pass completion and we won the NC. Welcome home, Coach Mike Bobo.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think HW would be awesome, and his personal brand alone will more than compensate for his limited recruiting experience. I used to think the same for TE, but am somewhat less enthused now that I understand he has been "in the ear" as a confidante to several of the better WRs who have left Georgia via the portal...

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

The laçk of a playoff hurt CMR The 2003 & 2007 teams could have very well won it all. No doubt

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2022

Did the defense put up the 26 points? The same number of points Bama scored to beat us a few years ago and no-one in the world was screaming the Crimson Tide’s defense won them that game they way they are for UGA this year. This was the 4th most scored against Bama all season (with two of those contests coming against UF and A&M - arguably two of their flattest defensive performances of the year that came in extremely hostile road environments while breaking in a young QB). At the end of the day Stetson out-performed the heisman trophy winner on Jan 10 and the petulant Stetson-bashers amongst our fanbase can’t stand that. It’s time to stop this narrative of “the UGA defense won UGA the Natty”. Bama didn’t even have any receivers left to be stopped in the last 3 quarters lmfao. The game ultimately came down to our O vs their D; and our O got it done. Any other interpretation is purely to fit the narrative.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was a team win. The defense kept Bama under 19 and came up with a score of their own and the offense score 26. Thats a team win. SB didn't have to try to come from behind. Could he have, if the defense had played like last time? We'll never know, until it happens. But he certainly did enough good things when it was crunch time in the NC game.