Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia tailback James Cook shocks NFL teams, pulls out of Senior Bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia tailback James Cook shocks NFL teams, pulls out of Senior Bowl

MOBILE, Ala. — Georgia tailback James Cook has unexpectedly pulled out of the Senior Bowl, a disappointment to several of the NFL teams that had wanted to see the Bulldogs’ tailback.

Read the full story here

Comments

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

Makes ZERO sense why Cook pulled out.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He has enough impressive tape. He will be at the combine. I don’t think it matters.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

EVERYTHING matters in the NFL. If it didn't matter, he wouldn't have agreed to go in the first place. I don't think it's wise, but I won't lose or gain a penny regardless of what he does. Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

For a RB, especially a smaller RB, these all star games are not worth the risk of injury. JCook has showed enough over his UGA career to be a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. Playing in this game is unlikely to elevate his position from that. Just not worth the risk.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He would be a weapon in Kansas City’s offense to compliment all the speed they already have on the outside.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey my fellow Dawgs fans, hope y’all are all doing as well as can be and happy !!Hey I have a waaay off topic and probably **** question. Please forgive me and thanks for your patience !! Do y’all think that the State Of Ga. Dept. Of Public Safety or might be Dept. Of Transportation will come out with a Special Vehicle tag to commentate the Dawgs winning the Ntl. Title ?? I mean it’s a huge achievement and not something that happens all the time. If their not they Should !! I’d be willing to pay a pretty healthy price for one as long as it wasn’t absolutely ridiculous !! Maybe we ought to gather together and lobby them to make them !! Appreciate your input, and again my apologies for being so off topic. I wish the Absolute Best for James Cook he is a DGD for sure !! Go Dawgs !!

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg I absolutely think that will happen!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Mike !! I sure hope so !! Please forgive my hijacking the post. And allow me to commend you for the great work you and All the Dawg Nation beat writers do. NOT an easy job feeding an information hungry fan base !! Y’all do a great job and I am thankful for this free site to talk about all things Dawgs !! I’d be tickled Red & Black if they do come out with a tag !! Thanks again Mike, best wishes to You and your family for a great 2022 !!

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd love to see the NY Giants get him and add to the Dawgs they have (mostly on defense).

I'm hoping that if the Bills' OC gives Fromm a chance, someone like Cook could really help out!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You'd have your cake and eat it, too... as I think Fromm's now with the Giants. Go Dawgs!

I'm a little surprised, MG, that your article feels pretty harsh on Cook, since you've been one of his biggest fans since day 1. That's not a slam on either of you, just an observation. I agree with others... mid-round pick was likely his ceiling, and still is, given his body of work and the upcoming combine. Go Dawgs!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I certainly do not follow the NFL, but from my observations it seems that they VERY MUCH care about everything. They want to avoid drama and seem to exaggerate small things. I just think to recent players like Jamie Newman that went from pre-season Heisman candidate to Undrafted. He was signed and then 2 months later, released and that's it. Maybe staying and fighting for the starting job would've benefitted him. 

Anyway, hope things work out okay for Cook.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@khummel Followed up with folks today -- he got bad advice from agent, who pulled him to work on his 40 time.

The Senior Bowl coaches had plans to use him at a lot of different spots and increase his draft value -- I was told he could have moved up "2 or 3 rounds" -- NFL teams were really anticipating seeing him.

Agents play such a big role!

Yeah, agent probably playing too big of a role. But I've seen the combines do the same thing... put eye-popping metrics up, and get a round or two boost... or blow it, and drop a couple. He clearly thinks the 40 needs work, since speed is a key part of his calling card. The thing about Cook's speed, however, is that he's deceptively quick, combined with great vision... call it "operating speed" if you will, which isn't easily measured with a stopwatch, and is more instinctive than learned. Wish him the best, in any case, as he sure is a DGD. Go Dawgs!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Count me among those who don't see what the big deal is. 4 years' worth of game film in live action. Practices. Interviews. Pro day. Private workouts. The combine. And scouts are going to be swayed by whether a guy decides to participate in a scrimmage with "teammates" he doesn't know and a relatively bland playbook? Even in the spirit of leaving no stone unturned, that seems excessive.

I don't really keep up with the NFL or the draft, but my impression of the senior bowl has always been that it's for guys that are borderline draft material and are just hoping to get someone's - anyone's - attention. With as many guys as we've got going to this one, maybe that's not the case? Sure seems like that ought to be its role, though, considering what it is. I just don't get how this could be a meaningful factor in the evaluation of anyone who has a reasonable expectation of going in the first 5 or 6 rounds. I mean one scrimmage?