Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart and Georgia offense relevant in high-profile recruitment of Arch Manning

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart and Georgia offense relevant in high-profile recruitment of Arch Manning

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart might not seem to be getting enough air time considering the job he has done building the Bulldogs into a national championship program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not trying to be negative, but I wouldn't recommend a high profile QB choose Georgia at this point. Obviously, we just won a NC, so saying Smart was "wrong" is a **** thing to say, but Smart has proven to be looking for a game manager QB as opposed to someone who will be able to throw 7 TDs a game.

Smart shouldn't sign QBs that he knows won't fit the mold he's looking for. Maybe there's no way to know who will fit best, but these high profile transfers shows there is a huge disconnect. I mean, how does Bennett go from 3rd string to no-one-else-is-starting-but-him? Bennett didn't become a different QB and JT certainly didn't fail.

That is what really kills me. We will get someone like Manning to sign and then we'll have 2 of the 3 transfer by next year between Vandagriff, Stockton and him.

Find whom you want and invest in them.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Think about what you are saying… your arguments contradict themselves and the actual facts. For example, Bennett is no mere ‘game manager’—you need look no further than the NCG to see that for yourself. If you still claim Bennett played as a game manager, how would you characterize Bryce Young? 🤣

Edit: I see you have only a few posts. Query whether you are an actual Dawg fan. 😉

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Back on topic, I believe Kirby is doing a great job of recruiting Manning. I hope Arch and his family decide he will come to Georgia—it would be a good move for him and his development, and good for the Dawgs! 👍

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hemingwey, everyone knows that Bennett was being managed. And for a good reason. INT machine when he was not. Maybe not a 100% game manager as he did run the ball well and had that threat and once in awhile was allowed to air it out. Once in a while...and that usually ended up with the ball hitting a DB in the chest. Sooner rather than later. Conservative passing game. He got better this past year but was still highly managed and for very good reason. Could not trust him. he was STILL a game manager most every game. Just don't F it up. And he was terrible on 3rd down conversions when he passed the ball. More experienced receivers may have helped but man was he the most likely to cause the other team to get a TD or for our D to lose a shutout. Maybe next season he will improve in these areas. Also, one more thing. Your opinion does not mean more than most others. Although it is obvious some people think very highly of themselves and their opinions and think they are the smartest person in the room all the time. And you sure have posted a ton. Dan Mullen thought he was the smartest person in the room too. Nobody really likes him. Ego. A word to the wise....well I am sure you already know huh.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys, after reading all the comments below I would have to say the following:

To be frank, Georgia doesn't win their National Championship last month without our defense. The play of the defense is what ultimately won that game. We kept the Bama offense contained enough so Bennett could do enough to win it. Taking nothing away from Stet - he did a fine job and made some stellar passes at crucial times. But I do think our offense must progress further next season. Our D will be good, but I don't think it will be able to the driving force of our victories in near the same fashion as it was this season.

If I was Arch Manning, I would wait and see how well this pass-happy Monken offense either develops much further or doesn't. A lot of that may depend on who starts at QB throughout the season. I believe if we move our offense forward into more of an aggressive passing attack next season then Arch Manning will take more notice AND so will top WRs that are looking for a home. I'm very excited and interested in seeing the Spring QB battle.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arch Manning is well managed. His parents and others. Very high profile 5-Star QB with the pedigree name. What could go wrong right? Ask Bryce Young? It happened a few weeks ago. QBs are a cog but it takes the wheel to win.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

I love the shot of Kirby and Company in the beginning of the video! With Monken there, I hope that's a good sign that he's staying for at least another season. If Arch commits to UGA, I think Monken would stay to show what he can do with him.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I somewhat disagree. First off, nobody's saying or selling Arch on a " pass-happy Monken offense." With Smart at UGA that's not going to happen, unless the offense loses so many RB that there is no choice left. It will never be a Lane Kiffin- todays Bama pass first offense. Kirby wants a 50-50 balance through 3-quarters and then run it down their throat during the final 15. Play great defense and score 35-45 points per game and you have a championship contender.

Manning and Co. know this, and you have to think they like the concepts - especially after recent results. Otherwise, Georgia's making Arch's final 4-5.

Like the article states "The two highest-rated passers and yards-per-attempt leaders in Georgia football history with more than 200 career attempts played in Monken’s system: JT Daniels (168.1, 9.7) and Bennett (160.6, 9.5)."

Arch wants a great college experience - a great supporting cast with a great OC and to win Championships. Georgia provides all of that. There are many NFL offenses that run the ball. Arch may well be drafted by one of them. When it comes to Arch Manning and Georgia, there are no negatives. If Daniels and Bennett can both set GA passing records in a year with so many receiver injuries just think what a more talented QB can do with 2-3 injury free years and a healthy receiving corp...

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After the NCG, Bennett went to Young put his arm around him and said some encouraging words, which was a class move. What I noticed is Bennett actually looked slightly taller than Young. Maybe it was because of the camera angle? Either way, they are essentially the same height. If Bennett can bring up his 3rd down passing, he could have the greatest year in UGA history. Big if I know, but he has that chance...

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

@SmartsTheMan....understand your point, but I still think that our offense MUST progress forward with a better and more consistent passing attack. That doesn't mean RBU won't be very important to have a more balanced offense. But, I contend the reason Monken was hired was to stretch the field and get us a more aggressive passing offense. Monken couldn't even run his complete offensive set of plays with Stet at QB. We didn't progress much this year in the passing attack with the amount of injuries and inconsistent play. I'm looking forward to seeing that change next season. And Georgia has never been a pass-heavy offense, so having Bennett and Daniels as the highest rated passers is not some grand achievement when you compare it to other teams pass-heavy offenses. But, yes, when you compare it to the typical RBU run-heavy stuff-it-down-their-throats Georgia offense it is a big achievement. So, it's all relative. And again, I believe our defense was the main reason we won the Natty - not the offense.

So, let's say we have a bunch of healthy good receivers next season and aren't plagued by injuries, my question is can Bennett become a better and more consistent accurate downfield passer? I don't know. He's had a lot of time to improve. I'm not counting him as the automatic starter next season. I hope Kirby will let the competition decide who is our starting QB.

Manning can get a great college experience at all the schools he is considering. Georgia or Bama would obviously be the best choices from the realistic ability to win a Natty.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SmartsTheMan wrote: "If Bennett can bring up his 3rd down passing, he could have the greatest year in UGA history. Big if I know, but he has that chance..."'

I'd just add that this year is likely to tilt toward passing. RBs will be solid but not the go-to guys. Returning receivers bring more experience, and four who couldn't contribute last year (Blalock, Arian Smith, Delp and maybe Arik) may end up doing more for us than Pickens and Burton did last year (though I doubt any of them could make the catch that Pickens may in the NCG). And OL's gonna be monsters galore.

@MontanaDawg wrote: "Manning can get a great college experience at all the schools he is considering."

Manning won't be afraid to compete for the job, but he and his may still be concerned that Arch wouldn't get stuck in line behind somebody who firmly has the job (a la Fromm and Fields). That could be a point in our favor, because -- with Stetson returning -- one of our three underclassmen isn't like to be The Guy at the end of next season. On the other hand, that's also true at Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK I guess the only way Stet will get respect from Some people is win the Super Bowl lol. Anyway Which ever of our QBs that earn the starting slot will have a Very potent Offense to work with. I Believe actually Better than the 2021 version. The O line has the potential, I did say Potential to make the Offense Much better than the 2021 version. Not gonna try to argue for or defend Stets anymore. Those fans who like and Believe in him will probably continue to do so, those that Don’t like him or believe in him will probably continue to feel that way. It is what it is. I think there Will be some degree of drop off on the Defense, pretty significant drop off BUT not nearly as much as some might think. And I think the D will just get better and better as the season goes on. I think the Offense will come out the gate some what better than last year and barring allot of injuries will get Much better as the season goes on. All in all this is a Very solid team and will only get better as a team as the season progresses. Go Dawgs !!