Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

As NFL openings dwindle, examining new salary details for offensive coordinator Todd Monken

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageAs NFL openings dwindle, examining new salary details for offensive coordinator Todd Monken

Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken seems poised to return to Georgia for another season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is a bit perplexing that Monken did not at least get a raise that would match what Lanning was making last season. With Monken's extensive experience as an OC at the NFL and College levels and even being a former HC, I hope Kirby will do everything he can do to keep him. If there is a new multi-year contract, I hope it includes a large buy-out. Also interesting, the salaries of Schumann and Muschamp combined are less than Lanning was making last year. Not quite sure what the strategies are here with the raises but I am surprised they are not higher given they won the natty.

• 99nout99nout Posts: 215 ✭✭✭ Junior

Give the man the money!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm guessing that Monken has already communicated that he will take a HC job or another NFL gig when it comes available, and that more money at UGA won't change things. We're just in a situation of being lucky that he didn't go this year. Even though we won it all, the early-season narrative of JT being the guy, but being dinged up, and Bennett filling in, and then Bennett maybe-but-maybe-not being the guy coupled with questions about how far we could get with him under center, probably lessened Monken's appeal in some circles. It'll be really interesting to see what narratives emerge next year, and how they affect Monken's prospects -- especially if the offense starts strong. I definitely expect Monken to find the next job he wants after 2022.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Someone posted on another thread in the forum that Seth Emerson, of the Athletic, published that the raise that Monken got, to 1.25 million, was a built in raise as part of his previous package implying that there will be another raise forthcoming.

Sure hope so!

Go Dawgs!

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And Tony Elliot was the highest paid OC at what school before he became HC at Virginia? I know where after I ahd to look it up! But most people have lives and do not follow too many coordinators at non-SEC schools. Even at SEC schools to be honest.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Offense was highest scoring per game under Kirby, somehow. That does say something. But was not a lot of passing and that matters today probably more than anything. The passing attack. Not Monken's fault but to his credit he did not force the passing game. It would have not been good and I admire his restraint when that is what everyone wants and he probably did too. Truth is, we have no clue on what is going on behind the scenes with his salary and any minute he could be at 1.5M or more. Even 1.5M would be a huge raise from 1.1M.

• doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's a new SBIV trope -- he's now responsible/partly responsible for Monken not getting hired into the NFL. Interesting.....

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Check the salary pool. It should tell the story if you can find the salary of all asst. coaches. Last reported Hartley's salary was not known other than what he made this past year $450K.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken is well worth whatever he costs. Period. As the expression goes, "pay the man".

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken's new deal has not been announced yet. The raise he just got was automatic as part of his previous contract.

While we are at it.... Tod Hartley better get a hefty increase or I could see him leaving at the end of 2022 if not sooner. Just my 2 cents.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Thanks, @ScoreCheck , that is what I heard as well and posted as such earlier. So he probably is gonna get another raise commiserate with his work in 2021! Thanks for the clarification!

Agree also as to Todd Hartley! His work with the tight end group has been nothing buy sensational!

Go Dawgs!

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great get. I believe he is likely with the discussions about the new package for Kirby. It will likely be announced together. Would love to see him stay for a few more years with the QBs that are there.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2022

Football coaches are not paid from the University's general funds. But they generate a TON of revenue, for the team AND the school.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be nice to have an OC stay longer than 1 year whose name isn't Chaney. I like Monken, last season was the 1st time I can remember receivers actually run plays where they got some seperation. Sometimes they were even wide open. I used to wonder why UGA could never have a receiver run wide open on a play, like some teams did on the highlights films every week.