Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

John Metchie reflects on Georgia football CFP win over Alabama: ‘Things could be different’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageJohn Metchie reflects on Georgia football CFP win over Alabama: ‘Things could be different’

INDIANAPOLIS — Alabama receiver John Metchie found himself in a familiar position in Indianapolis on Wednesday, watching from the sideline.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bama players (and fans) cannot get it through their heads that they lost. They need to comer to terms with reality. The 2022 National Championship trophy sit in Athens as I bang the keys.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know it'll get down voted, but I agree with metchie to an extent. If Williams and metchie were both in, we probably would've lost. What little time Williams did play, he was making plays. Lack of experience at their WR position was a glaring problem after Williams went out. And the thing with our WRs being injured, only one made a difference when he came back, Pickens. Plus it didn't help with QB carousel we had going on. And this is my opinion, but I think we upgraded at WR coach this off-season. Never really was behind hankton from the start.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why are people mad with Metchie? Here is what the story said: "NFL media wanted to know on Wednesday, could things have been different in the CFP Championship Game for Alabama against Georgia had Metchie been healthy and Jameson Williams not been injured in the title tilt?"

What is the kid supposed to say? "No, even if Jameson and I had played, the outcome would have been the same. We still would have lost. Us being healthy and playing would have had no affect on the game." That's crazy. He's not issuing sour grapes or complaining. He's just expressing confidence that if he had been healthy, he would have helped his team. And he was ANSWERING A QUESTION asked of him at what is tantamount to a job interview -- the NFL Combine. I find no fault in what he said. He might even be correct. Who knows? But who cares at this point? UGA won on the scoreboard and that's all that matters. Go Dawgs!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If both teams had had no injuries from January 1, 2021 until the NCG was over, things might have been different… 😉

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We have to be able to recruit big time wideouts. Hope Brian can go get them for us.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He didn't say "we (UGA) probably would've lost". He said he thought it could've been different. That's not a stretch, but, what is an exaggeration, is their influence on the NCG. If I recall correctly, Metchie and Williams, both, played in the game against A&M, AUB, ARK and LSU...all, games that either they lost, tied or barely won.

So, that dog don't hunt. UGA had the defensive weapons to stop them and would have in the SECC Game, if they hadn't have tried to get cute on defense. The Dawgs went back to what had been successful all year in the CFP, crushing Michigan and outplaying BAMA in the Championship, much the way they dominated all year.

Everything I hear someone say, "the game has changed", I just laugh. The game is and always will be the same. Offense has to move the ball into the end zone and defense works and schemes to stop them...simple. The only real change in the sport since I was a kid in the '60s-'70's, is that players coming out of high schools are more and more prepared for College level play.

Kids are without a doubt, bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic and have a greater football IQ (probably due to the internet and video games), than they were when I played. Yeah, you had the occasional freak and steroids was a big thing back then, but for the most part, offense and defensive fronts didn't look like a SEAL Team. William "Fridge" Perry was a freak when entered the scene...now, he's small and slow compared to the guys playing the game today.

Bottom line is...defenses, as in the past, are catching up to offenses and so the cycle goes. That's the way it is...it's the way it always has been...it's the way it's going to be...unless they completely reboot the way the game is played and the objective.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I have said often this year, defense STILL wins championships. 😉

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

1 person on here said that Metchie needs to drop it, that's it. All of the other comments were directed toward BAMA fans. Nobody disagreed with his answer, but the question is moot and the answer predictable. Are you a BAMA Fan? Is that why you are offended?