Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football ‘secret sauce’ revealed at NFL Combine, exactly what it appeared to be

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football ‘secret sauce’ revealed at NFL Combine, exactly what it appeared to be

INDIANAPOLIS -- Georgia coach Kirby Smart knew he built something special during the course of the offseason watching and listening to the Bulldogs interact during their skull sessions, as the players shared backgrounds and goals and the “why” behind their motivations to chase the dream.

Read the full story here

Comments

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Okay, Mike, I will continue to take issue with the extreme lack of respect for our offense. "Lackluster"? Really? The defense scored maybe 5 touchdowns on the year and this offense was one of the higher scoring offenses in UGA history. How is that lackluster? Our defense was great in every game except one but it's not like our offense was LSU of the Les Miles era or Tampa Bay under Tony Dungy, or Baltimore and Trent Dilfer. If our offense was lackluster in the Natty against the 5th ranked defense and still scored 26 points, I'll take it. The hard truth is the winning touchdown was scored by the offense on a pass from a former walk-on QB to a lightly recruited 3-star true freshman receiver. There has to be a way to acknowledge the greatness of our 2021 Defense without disparaging the 2021 Offense.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2022

Couldn't agree more. Frankly, I was reading this article with a good deal of enthusiasm (it's otherwise a pretty strong article with solid facts and analysis)... and then this never-ending old-saw pops up again. I don't know why, but I don't think MG can let go of this, even as disrespectful as it is on a site ostensibly dedicated to the Dawgs and their fans. Don't get me wrong: the offense struggled big-time in the first half against one of the other "best defenses" in College football this past season; even the most diehard fan acknowledges that... but no way are they "lackluster" in general, and certainly not for the entirety of the CFP (hmmmmm, any other teams struggle vs Bama defense? Michigan defense?).

Think I'll be more selective on who/what I read for a while, as this is pretty disheartening as a fan... and I don't want to be disrespectful of ANY UGA fan, including the writers.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“lackluster offense”??? Really? Come on, @MikeGriffith, get real.

• KhunKhaoDawgKhunKhaoDawg Posts: 209 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike Griffith is a hack. How he even has a low paying job is beyond comprehension!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The difference in the 2 games with BAMA was the defense showed up in the NC game. 24 offensive points and 28 points(extra point was missed I beleve) respectively isn't "lack luster" against BAMA. Was, it dominant? No! At least not in the 1st game, where we would have needed 42 points to win that one. Were we dominant on offense in the rematch? Well we needed 19 to cover and we got 28(technically27). Is that lackluster? Or did you just mean lackluster for a part of the game?

DId we totally dominate them? No! Lackluster? Hardly. What are you comparing it to? BAMA was the only team in the nation that could match up with our talent and we did pretty well, I'd say. Far from lackluster. Unless 400 yards of offense is lackluster. I'd say we did totally dominate them in the 4th quarter, or did you miss that one?

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not real sure I get the point of this article? What does it say that we didn't already know? We've known for a while that this was a special, highly motivated group of young men who bonded from 6 a.m. practices and one-on-one, get-to-know-you sessions and, of course, hard work and effort. Just from reading it, it just seems like a piece written for the sake of writing something.

• Falcon1103Falcon1103 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I wouldn't call the offense lackluster but there wasn't much to be desired until the 4th quarter. Bama may have had the 5th ranked defense but A&M and others moved the ball well against them and we didn't until the 4th. Todd made some great adjustments especially on our last drive when we started running it down their throats leading to the pass to Bowers. But let's be honest, our defense won that game. In fact Alabama shouldn't have even scored a touchdown if it wasn't for that fumble. Our defense deserves all the credit it is receiving and it carried over to the NFL Combine. I've never seen anything like it. Go Dawgs!!!! I'm from Columbus, GA and Williams is going to be a Juggernaut!

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Falcon1103 ,

Our defense did not win the game unless the final score would have been 7-0, but Bama scored 18. If you're going to say our offense did not move the ball until the 4th quarter in the National Championship game , I can also say our defense did not show up at all in the SEC Championship Game. Our defense is supposed to stop our opponents and our offense is supposed to score on our opponents and both sides of the ball did their jobs. It's not like we on games by a score of 13-7 all year.

On another note, I am originally from Hogansville and as a kid my entire family would go to Wrestling matches in Columbus on Wednesday nights at Columbus Municipal Auditorium on 1028 Front Avenue. As I got older and found out Wrestling was staged, I became distraught, LOL!

I suppose the real story is how BAMA's supposed dominant offense ran closed to 30 plays more than we did and scored less points even with the incomplete pass(I mean ahum fumble) the refs gave them.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The time these guys got to spend together bonding and learning about each other was indeed the special ingredient to a historic season! I hope this can be continued with similar success over the next season - many of these returning players have already experienced the Skull Sessions and will preach their importance to the younger guys. Excited to see the future results!

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All-SEC Team

Let's not go revisionist history -- this season was all about the defense -- forced countless three-and-outs, provided short fields for offense

Offense was playing ahead all year, and was also efficient all year -- but by no means among the best in the nation or even the best in the SEC.

Very good vs. Michigan in CFP, but in both meetings with Alabama "lackluster" is fair when one considers the Pick-6 and turnovers on downs in SEC title game, and very slow start (late third-quarter drive) in CFP game. The defense holding Bryce Young to one TD on six trips inside the 30 was HOF stuff.

This was not 2019 LSU or 2020 Alabama.

But it was the best defense in CFB in at least 20 years...

Mike, how many games did Kirby shut things down completely in the 4th quarter? Our reserve defense was in and it was all run imn the 4th quarter. I don't care how good your run game is if a team knows you're not passing any more they are going to limit your scoring opportunities.KIRBY was ok with that.

I'd be willing to bet SB set a record for fewest passes attempted in the 4th quarter by a starter in the SEC last year. Was the offense as good as our defenss? No.

Is averaging a point less tham BAMA and their vaulted offense lackluster? COme on Man! Just own up, you made a poor choice of words. It happens.

I speak for a living. WHen you do that, you sometimes say things you regret because they weren't as well thought out as you thought they were.