Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves....

YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Moving on from Freddie. Traded for Matt Olson from the A's. Just a giant F U to Freddie and the fanbase. Gonna be hard to support them when he and all the fans wanted him to be a lifer

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Figured Freddie would be the one they wanted as a lifer and they’d actually spend big money on. Especially with Acuna and Ozzie being on team friendly deals already. Guessing he’s about to get paid by one of the big spending teams. Olson looks solid though, not Freddie, but good and younger.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves didn't want to give Freddie a 6th year. that was the dealbreaker apparently

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Braves gave up a ton of talent IMO. Their top 2 minor leaguers and 2 good pitching prospects. Of course, there are no guarantees that any of the minor leaguers would turn out to be great - one of the big risks of trading. I was hoping to watch Pache and Langeliers at the big league level so that is disappointing. But Olson is a proven big leaguer. Hopefully he'll have one of his best years this coming season. AA has been an effective trader for the Bravos so I'm hopeful at this point.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Let him go get his bag. He deserves it. I'll miss him but like @Teddy said, that's alot of money for someone who is nearing the end of his prime. This is Acuna's team now.

• senorlorenzosenorlorenzo Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

I couldn’t agree more. The only criticism I think is reasonable is that the front office apparently missed their opportunity last year to secure him more realistic money, but that’s often how business goes. Still, they were not reported to be offering him an insulting low contract, and so it really came down to how much he wanted to remain as a Brave. He’s from California and no doubt has family and friends there, so at the end of the day he chose things more important to him than Atlanta, the organization, and the fans. That should be respected, as well as the club’s inaction last year.

Thankfully, our last image of Freddie as a Brave will be of him catching Swanson’s throw to clinch the championship, as well as his last at bat being a homer. We should wish him well personally, but not so much his apparent future team.

One final point, the Braves won it all last year without their best player, best pitcher, and a couple of other players who are now back, along with the returning core of the lineup. They’re gonna be fine.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Baseball… and pro sports in general… just isn’t the same. For example, you can lose your outfield and buy a new one before the playoffs. 😑

Let us hope college football retains some semblance of ‘team’.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Freeman will be good for several more years and the financial flexibility in 2028 just isn't a concern for most fans when it came to keeping Freddie

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are right. That is really the main reason that I wanted the deal to work between the Braves and Freddie--so that we wouldn't have to trade propspects.

Well, we did and the Braves are, hopefully, going to be okay without the propspects and Freddie. Sure did want him to be a Brave though.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

All of that is correct, of course, and I agree with you and @Teddy . Just reeeeealy hated giving up Pache and Langoliers for Olson when we only have Olson for two years. At least, I think it is two years without resigning him.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not too worried about Pache. He's gotten worse every level he's moved up, from Rookie ball, to AA, AAA, and majors. Every step he moves his stats nose dive. He's still only 23 with time to figure it out, but he hasn't shown improvement, which isn't a good sign.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of those days to get really upset about something I have no control over and no input regarding the decision. What fan didn't want Freddie to join Chipper and others in the lifer club. Maybe now we keep Soler and Rosario? Idk but I'm still a Braves fan. Go Dawgs!

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It totally stinks, but Olson will probably have more value over the next few years. This was the smart move, but Freddie is one I'd like to have kept.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's kind of like the better your total career is, the more baseball likes to pay towards the end of the career. Sort of like a lifetime achievement award. I think Freddie has earned whatever he can get in the current market. I guess Olson is my new favorite first baseman in baseball.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't know enough about baseball to make a comment how good/bad this is...wish Freddie the very best and thanks for his work here !