Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NATIONAL NAPPING DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NATIONAL NAPPING DAY

Each year, National Napping Day recognizes our need the day following the return of daylight saving time. Not only does the observance encourage a nap, it reminds us that there’s no shame in taking one either. While preparing for the time change can offset the shock to our internal clock, many other things in our life may not handle the change so well causing us to still lose sleep. Young children and pets do not adjust as easily and certain work schedules do not permit early adjustment, either.

Mid-afternoon naps are an integral part of most cultures, and scientifically proven to be good for you.

A needed rest can make you feel better and also improve your mood. After having the extra amount of sleep, a person will notice that they will be more productive and energetic. Numerous studies have shown that short 10-20 minute naps are the most effective when midday fatigue hits. Improvements in alertness, productivity, and mood have all been shown to improve with this type of snooze. 

Though there are some of us who are just not the napping kind, if you can reap those benefits, find a cozy spot for 10 minutes or so on National Napping Day.

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalNappingDay

• Catch some zees!
  • Be sure to nap early enough in the day so as to not interrupt your regular sleep cycle. 
  • Create a perfect napping environment. 
  • Share your favorite type of nap or why you enjoy a good snooze.
  • Take a relaxing nap and use #NationalNappingDay to post on social media.

NATIONAL NAPPING DAY HISTORY

William Anthony, Ph.D., a Boston University Professor, and his wife, Camille Anthony, created National Napping Day in 1999 as an effort to spotlight the health benefits to catching up on quality sleep. “We chose this particular Monday because Americans are more ‘nap-ready’ than usual after losing an hour of sleep to daylight saving time,” Anthony said in B.U.’s press release.

What's your favorite time to take a nap?

NATIONAL POTATO CHIP DAY

National Potato Chip Day on March 14th celebrates America’s #1 snack food. Millions will enjoy their favorite chip this holiday. It’s a good thing there are so many to choose from, too!

Saratoga Chips

On August 24, 1853, an unhappy restaurant customer kept sending his potatoes back to the kitchen, complaining they were thick and soggy. Chef George Crum decided to slice the potatoes as thin as possible, frying them until crisp and adding extra salt. To the chef’s surprise, the customer loved them. The crispy potatoes soon became a regular item on the restaurant’s menu under the name of “Saratoga Chips.”

Other explanations point for the existence of the potato chip point to recipes in Shilling Cookery for the People by Alexis Soyer (1845) or Mary Randolph’s The Virginia House-Wife (1824). While many references between these dates sliced potatoes and fried them in grease, uncertainty remains whether the potatoes were fried to a crisp.

However, by the late 1870s, menus across the country used the term “Saratoga Chips” on train cars, hotel restaurants, and street carts. The name carried into grocers when bakeries made the chips in larger batches. They shipped them by wagon to the restaurants and grocers by the barrel. The grocers sold them to private families by the pound. Folks were instructed to bake the chips in a hot oven for a few minutes, and the chips would be as crisp as if fried that same day.

Classic Potato Chips

The Dayton, Ohio-based Mike-sell’s Potato Chip Company, founded in 1910, calls itself the “oldest potato chip company in the United States.” New England-based Tri-Sum Potato Chips, originally established in 1908 as the Leominster Potato Chip Company, in Leominster, Massachusetts, claims to be America’s first potato chip manufacturer.

In the 20th century, potato chips spread beyond chef-cooked restaurant fare and began to be mass-produced for home consumption. Flavored chips were introduced in the 1950s. Potato Chip revenues are over $15 billion a year worldwide!

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPotatoChipDay

• Eat some potato chips.
  • Use potato chips in a recipe. Crushed, they make a delicious coating for fish.
  • Dip chips in chocolate for a salty-sweet snack.
  • Share your recipes.
  • Make some homemade dips.
  • Or just grab a bag of potato chips to enjoy and use #NationalPotatoChipDay to post on social media.

What's your favorite type of potato chip ?

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

#1 is never a problem! Kettle cooked chips are my favorite-any flavor but jalapeño!

Fallback Chip? Ruffles sour cream and cheddar!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aww man! I missed national napping day! I slept right through it!!😴

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm in an 8 hour meeting online with a leader that could put a child on a sugar high to sleep. Napping probably will not be a problem for me today.

Chips. Somehow nothing beats good ole Lays plain potato chips.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

So I ate a whole bag of chips, made me sleepy, so I took a nap. Just woke up and noticed it was a day later. I guess it was the Ruffle Van Winkle syndrome.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate