Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dawgs’ 2022 success may hinge on two key positions

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageDawgs’ 2022 success may hinge on two key positions

With spring practices mostly closed, it’s tough to assess the 2022 Dawgs at this point.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

Thanks Bill for another informative article. It seems like Tykee Smith has disappeared and rarely mentioned. I know he is still recovering from his injury, but he is easily our most decorated back (2x All American and All Conference). Does anyone know why it seems like we aren’t excited about his return? Was his injury so severe he’s not expected to return? Go Dawgs!!!

• UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I had to pick two key positions I’d say Cornerback and Inside Linebacker are more ?s than QB

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

Thanks, Bill, for some interesting perspective. In fact, though I don't think it's intended in your post, it got me wondering if being a highly acclaimed, clearly anointed "star" QB in the Smart era so far could be the kiss of death… Eason, Fields, Newman, and Daniels. I do believe the demise of those talented kids in the Georgia program is purely coincidental and the product of injuries/bad timing/luck, with a bit of media over-excitement mixed in for good measure... but it does make you scratch your head. In any case, I remain thrilled with our current QB room-- Bennett as a proven commodity, with capable young studs chomping at the bit. Any college football program on the planet would feel fortunate to have our "challenges" at that position. Go Dawgs!

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points all around Bill, much appreciated. I am excited to hear how much Muschamp is working with the secondary, I think that will pay off in the future. Good to hear comments from Jackson and others that confirm that the defense is learning more and more every day. I think Kirby and crew will have this team ready for Oregon, I just hope mounting injuries do not work against us!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree and it will be interesting to see how Bennett performs next year after having the opportunity to work with the “starters” during Spring and Summer practices. That’s something he has rarely done since he’s been buried in the depth charts for 5 years. Also, I agree with you that we have lost some talented QBs, but they were for the most part beaten out. The good news is I can’t really name a game we lost where we clearly would have won with Eason, Fields, Newman and JT at the helm. In fact, we may have jumped the gun starting Eason over Lambert in several games like our loss to Vandy in Athens. Oh well, it’s certainly easier being a Monday morning QB and/or coach.

• BillKingBillKing Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

UGADawg I didn't say QB was a questionmark. I said it's a key position for success this season. The only questionmark about that position is who will be the main backup. You could term cornerback a questionmark spot, though, because we don't know who all will be back there, and we don't know how much Ringo will progress.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Smart said the Georgia coaches are ‘’trying to be innovative, creative in the way we practice, because quarterback development is critical. So, if you have quarterbacks that aren’t able to get reps, how do they get better? So, I’m big on challenging our staff to be creative in the ways we rep those guys, who goes with what groups, how many reps a week you get, what percentages. We want to see these guys get better."

Oh I don't know kirby, how about when you are up by 24 points or more around halftime, you put your backup in and allow them to throw the ball 10-20 times per game? Instead of handing it off for the last 20 plays of the game with them.

Would that be considered reps? Seriously. How many opportunities did UGA have last year to do that? But how many times did they? Answer. 2- UAB and CSU. That's it.

GO DAWGS!!!!!