Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Former Georgia quarterback JT Daniels has strong Missouri visit, West Virginia up next

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageFormer Georgia quarterback JT Daniels has strong Missouri visit, West Virginia up next

ATHENS — Former Georgia quarterback JT Daniels has Missouri under serious consideration after visiting the Tigers last week and attending the spring game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior

that well hasn't run dry yet??

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like Oregon State would be the best fit since it’s much closer to his home and the pass defenses on the west coast are usually porous.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2022

I agree, definitely closer to home. But, which SEC east team is not going to have a porous pass defense? UT? Vandy? Or even the revamped or inexperienced teams like UGA, UF, and UK? SC had one of the better pass defenses last year, which JT carved up for 300+ yards last year. His biggest problem is going to be, opportunities. Can MU's defense get off the field and get the ball back. Hopefully by the time UGA plays MU, the defense will have been proven better then what is expected at this time. Thankfully, UGA gets to play them after basically an off week, Kent State.

Now the offense, is still going to be a 32 ppg team (against teams not from the FCS, or named Vandy or tech). I also worry about the offense against Miss State. If they sell out to stop the run like last time. And with the returning players on offense they have, could definitely force UGA to have to score.

But I think those 3 teams that JT is thinking about are chosen because they have experienced returning o-lines. May not be great, but still experienced. And don't run read option qb plays. As long as he stays healthy, he will have good numbers and success.

I know not a popular opinion for alot of people. UGA will probably still win the east, by still being more talented, but will struggle against more teams then people will want to see. Beating UT and UK and others by 3-7 points, will just help those teams recruiting. And living close to UT, I just don't want to see it happen. Right now, it's costing 8 million dollars to get their qb of the future, I don't want to see top recruits go there just because they are "almost there".

GO DAWGS!!!!!!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I read that UGA ran the "pro-style spread with air raid principles last year"...I actually laughed out loud. At no time, even the 1st game of the year vs Clemson, did UGA have the personnel to run that brand of offense.

I believe that was the intention going into and coming out of Spring Practice last year....BUT, injury and circumstances forced Monkin to change course going into the season. Therefore, the "pro-style spread with air raid principles" never materialized and wasn't as necessary as it was in 2019 & 2020. Smart and Monkin found a new niche that was just as effective, if not more, so thanks to something they had been lacking...a mobile quarterback that could throw with accuracy and talented TE group.

Smart made those comments regarding the QB situation, before Bennett developed into what he eventually became. I think if you asked him now, his assessment would be completely different. But, Griffith would never write an article that would contradict his embedded opinion. He always points out Daniels stats, while ignoring Bennetts 2021 SEC leading stats. And, the guy just loves to revise history, as if we weren't there. LOL

One thing I am curious about....If Daniels is as good as Griffith thinks he is,, why didn't Dan Lanning ask him to come to Oregon? Especially since Daniels showed interest in Oregon St. He saw Daniels in practice everyday, going back to Fall of 2020. Hmmm

@budknox310 ...You play fast and loose with the terms, "experienced" and "inexperienced". I got news for you, if you play for UGA, every practice gives you experience, because you're practicing against the best of the best. Almost all of the guys that will be stepping into starting rolls next year, have had in-game experience. And, in most of those cases, the guys they practiced against were better than the ones they played against. With kids entering college football today, they are much more prepared than they've ever been...with all the camps available to them, and the strength and conditioning training of schools like IMG and De La Salle, etal.. With the NFL's ability to rob the proverbial cradle at the 3 yr point of a player's college life, Coaches are pressured to get the most out of a player, sooner. And, players in a rush to get the league are motivated to work harder for it.

UGA will be UGA next year, with near zero drop off, considering the talent they've been developing over the last 5 years.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't like the comment that any quarterback, regardless of name, is the "unquestioned" number one. I have read that several times and it bugs me.

Every single position on the field should be questioned and I hope they are and we get the absolute best on the field.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2022

Lanning didn't look to JT because Oregon has Bo Nix already as well as a 5 star, all-everything "quarterback of the future", Ty Thompson. He likely saw no need in crowding the room with unnecessary personnel. Only one can play so why bring in a kid, a senior, to crowd a competition that is already there, especially if you believe you already have your man?

To suggest JT has no or inferior talent is just silly. We saw his talent and he absolutely has it. He didn't get back in at UGA because we adjusted the game plan and it did not fit his strength.

My my, people sure are defensive, when it comes to JT Daniels, aren't they?

A.) I never said or suggested the kid didn't have talent. That's not the issue with him. His drawback is toughness. In 4 yrs, he has only played 1 complete season without injury. And, that was his Freshman yr @ USC, where I thought he actually played well.

B.) Daniels is far better than Nix...or he's supposed to be. Nix never showed me much. He was inconsistant and cost AUB at least 1-2 games per year. Forget Nix.

C.) I don't care if Oregon has a 10 star all everything QB "of the future"....that doesn't Trump a former 5 star QB with 1.1 yrs experience in the PAC and 2 partial yrs in the SEC. He has 2 yrs of eligibility remaining. If Daniels is the talent you seem to think he is, he should be able to own the Oregon QB room, with all that talent and experience.

Your take on Oregon football is a bit simplistic. If it were UGA in a similar position, would you say, "No...we don't need anymore competition in the QB room."?

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope that where ever he goes, that he's treated better than he was in Athens.

LOLOLOL...Hahahaha...🤣🤣🤣🤣....ooh, you're killin' me. Please stop.🤣🤣🤣

Keep the jokes coming. It's a long offseason.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2022

As my original post stated, you missed when I used the word "revamped". Which is what UGA is going to have to do. I understand the experience in some games and against the talent UGA has, but playing week in and week out as the starter, is just different.

About your comments to 87dawg, I think everyone believes JT is better then Nix. Problem is, not sure who Lanning brought in as OC, but the personnel indicates a read-option type of qb needed, like last year. JT is not that. That may be why, it was not an option. Honestly, I am suprised that Miss State isn't an option. Perfect system. Never has to run and can throw the ball 50 times per game. But I do stand by what I wrote on why those teams from the article are mentioned.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!

But do believe JT was probably treated great, and well taken care of. May of had a fallout with Kirby, but who knows.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think he’s looking at Oregon State….not Oregon where Bo Nix landed.

Yeah, I guess I just don't buy into UGA having to revamp anything next year. I actually believe their defense will be just as good if not better...particularly on the backend. It may take a few games to get there, but, by the GAvsFL game, they'll be hitting on all cylinders (or they should be, LOL). Offensively, they'll be as good if not better, starting in game 1 against Clemson.

And, like you, I think MISS ST would have been an excellent option for JT. I'm just wondering if the rest of the league sees what I thought I saw in him. And, maybe that's the reason for the Luke warm reception in the SEC, ACC and PAC. Nothing from the BIGs 10&12. OSU, MICH, MICH ST, OU, PENN ST, CLEM, FLA, FLA ST, MIA, OKLA ST, TEX, TEX A&M, CIN, LSU, ND, ARK....so many schools....so many needs and nobody put in a call to Daniels? UGA's second coming? Except who...Oregon St? MIZZOU? Come on, man...there's gotta be a reason. And I think I know what it is, but, it's just more speculation. I'll leave that up to you and the rest of DawgNation.