Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Matthew Boling blows the NCAA 200 he should have easily won....Is he doing too many events?

UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am a true Matt Boling fan, and he has done well except for the2022 NCAA 200 indoor finals..he looked tired and ran out of his lane and was DQ'd out of the event altogether! His time was very high anyway. Poor showing. In fact, it appeared as though he nearly stumbled on the banked curve? I do believe he is doing too much for UGA. He needs to specialize in one sprint event. He is very good at the 400 or the outdoor 200. He does not have the under 10 sec speed for the 100, needed for placing in the Olympics. He is also doing 60 meters to build his out of the block explosiveness yet had to come from last place just to win his heat? Plus he took third in the long jump which he should have won. He is doing too much. The coach should see this. I wish him well as summer takes them out of doors.

Comments

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You might be correct - at least I think he is tired at this point. With a busy SEC meet just a while back, he may have run out of gas this past meet. I do agree the 200/400 is much more suited to him than the 100. I'm not sure I'd say he "should " have won the LJ - at that level there is a lot of elite competition. All that sprinting this indoor season certainly could have taken away from his LJ at this final indoor meet. Not sure what the new coach's plan for him involves....

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying here.

Without knowing anything about team scoring…would he help the team more competing in two events and winning, or competing in multiple events and placing?

From my perspective I would rather see him specialize in two or three events and win, rather than burn out doing more. It would seem that brings more exposure to UGA track.

2 wins = 20 points. 3 second places = 24 points. 2 seconds and a third = 22 points 3 thirds = 18 points..

This might be LJ, 200 and 100 or it could even include a relay race making 4 events. Whatever combo he does/did all adds up over the course of a season in terms of wear, tear and fatigue. I will add that it is not unusual for athletes to double and triple in meets. I think most would focus on outdoors as the time to pursue record type performances.

• wpony714wpony714 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

He had a PR in the 60 yesterday. He had the 9th best time in the country going in and ended up 5th overall. His PR in the 200 indoor happened last season. He's finished either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd this season in the LJ although his jumps have gotten progressively shorter over the course of the season. The 4x4 team had their slowest time of the season, same 4 guys, almost a full 3 seconds slower compared to the SEC championships.

As for the 200, he had the fastest time in the prelims. Sometimes it's just not your day. Keep in mind, Oregon's Micah Williams had the 2nd fastest 60 mark this season and he false-started/was DQ'd in the prelims, didn't even make the finals. Terrence Jones, the national leader from Texas Tech who tied the collegiate 60 record at 6.47 earlier this season, was also disqualified for a false start in the second heat — a heat that also included a restart before Jones’ DQ.

For him individually he might have done better overall with fewer things to do but it's a team competition, not a Boling showcase. The entire team had a less than great performance yesterday with a few exceptions. And sometimes, other athletes step up to have record-breaking performances. It happens.

Nice job in 100m today. Not sure what other events he's working on in the FSU meet.

• wpony714wpony714 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An amazing PR, held that record for all of one hour, lol. Benjamin Azamati from West Texas A&M put up a 9.90 in Texas.

For Boling, it's a great season opening time. He could easily get to sub 10.

• Rightrepair1Rightrepair1 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Matt is a fine athlete.. It maybe a mix of physical & mental fatigue.. It happens to the best of them.. Maybe focus on the 200

his work in the 400 suggests good stamina/strength. His work in the 100 suggests good speed. Where those two meet might just be the 200, as you suggest. I do think he has done more racing than someone who wants to ger to the top echelon in a particular event would do. In college, it's a team sport and that does not always lead to world class results.