Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Tomarrion Parker: Why Georgia still leads Alabama and Ohio State for the prized 4-star defender

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageTomarrion Parker: Why Georgia still leads Alabama and Ohio State for the prized 4-star defender

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This rep has the latest with 4-star Alabama DE/OLB target Tomarrion Parker. He ranks as the nation’s No. 10 DL and the No. 84 overall prospect for 2023 on the 247Sports Composite ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

If it takes Manning going somewhere else in order for UGA to get Raiola, then I'd rather see Manning elsewhere.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Recruiting Arch Manning represents a real paradox for many UGA fans. Many (the majority?) fans AND CKS seemed to place the highest value on mobility at the QB position. The Manning brothers were about as mobile as an offensive lineman running on the beach. Before you argue that Archie was mobile he avg'd 2.6 ypc for his career at MS and he played in a bygone era where a guy like Jerry Jones can play G at 6' 182 lbs. So it is likely that Arch's quarterback abilities will more closely resemble JTD and not SBIV. Quite the conundrum considering how all important mobility is viewed by at least half the fan base.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Manning announces a commitment to UGA, all everything WR's will line up to come to Athens out of high school and off the transfer wire. I'm not completely convinced he is as good as the hype machine has pumped him up to be, but, if he is...God Bless the Dawgs and the Mannings. LOL

His coming to UGA would flush talent out of the QB room, but, it would be a gold strike for WR recruiting. And, I think that's the plan. It's why they brought in the new WR Coach...Bryan McClendon.

2023 will be the Arch March, with balls thrown all over the field and he'll be protected by an iron curtain. It would be fun to watch. He is a lot like Daniels, but, Daniels just had bad luck and unfortunate timing.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have watched alot of HS film on JTD, SBIV, Gunner Stockton, and Brock Vandergriff, and oh yeh Carson Beck. While I don't claim to be an expert, there is nothing that stands out to me about Arch Manning, other than he's a big kid compared to all the little white guys around him, sort of like Brock was in HS. THere is nothing that I have seen as far as throwing that makes my jaw drop and go, "Did you see that?"

THe talent level he plays against seems suspect to me. I don't think he could have gone into Thomasville like GS did and get sacked 9-10 times and do what Gunner did.

If not for his name I don't think he would be "the guy" that everyone is talking about. JMHO.

edited March 2022

I agree that Arch will make it a lot easier to recruit. And not just wr's. Don't get me wrong. any team getting Manning will be getting a very good prospect with a high up side. PLUS an exciting prospect to build a couple of classes around. I expect him to be as good or better than any pocket passer in CFB. But he is not going to extend drives with his legs. OL recruiting needs to stay at an elite level. Personally, I learned at a young age, by watching Roger Staubach and Steve Young (and Fran Tarkenton run for his life on bad Giant's teams) evade pressure and extend drives, that mobility is a valuable facet from the position. In modern CFB, with the athletes on D advancing faster than the OL prospects, are pocket passers the guys that can win championships? Mac Jones is not a good example as the team around him was head and shoulders better (like most AL teams) than anyone AL faced.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fran was definitely The Man. I enjoyed watching that guy play. But, he played for Bud Grant and the Minnesota Vikings when I took notice. I was just getting into JHS/HS when he really broke out.

I remember the experts, at the time, talking about the offensive line having to learn to block for a QB like Tark. There has to be synergy between the QB and O-line for the QB to be successful, otherwise, you wind up with "holding", "clipping", "blocking in the back", "illegal receiver downfield", etc.. It got my attention, because I was converting from DT to OT due to team needs and I didn't know much about the position. It seemed boring to me. I loved to tackle and go for the ball and at the time, there was no glory in playing offensive line. LOL

Ideally, they'll sign Manning and a bevy of top tier recruits. I just hope, if they do, Smart doesn't bow to Fan and media pressure to play him before he's ready. Look what happened last year with the Bennett/Daniels situation. Could you imagine if it were the Stockton/Manning or Vandergriff/Manning situation. I'm just not sure how the team and coaching staff will be able to handle all the hype surrounding him. It may be better in the long-run to take a pass on Mr. Manning.

UGA has a very talented and deep QB room, right now. I'm not so naive as to believe it will stay that way going into next year. UGA has signed a top QB in each of Smart's 6 recruitng years at UGA. Manning may not see the field for a couple of years, depending on his development. Is he prepared to wait his turn? I know that having a Grandfather and 2 Uncles, all with successful NFL careers and run a QB camp themselves,, to tutor him, will go a long way to get him up to speed. It may even help the other QB's in the room.

I know what I've said, sounds like word soup. LOL. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are pluses and minuses...I just think the pluses outweigh the minuses. Sign the kid and let the chips fall where they may.

edited March 2022

I disagree with nothing that you wrote. "Sign the kid and let the chips fall where they may". Thankfully, UGA seems to focus on kids that are not only talented but fit the profile of the type of kids UGA wants in the program. That results in the kind of selflessness and brotherhood the team enjoyed last year. This Manning kid is a solid kid in all aspects. You take any kid like that that you can get. Whoever signs him will see the pressure ratchet up significantly. The kid (and the program) will be under the microscope. There will be scrutiny and distractions like CKS has never seen. The kid will be getting coached at UGA and at home. But if you don't sign him someone else will. And then you have deal with him for 4 seasons. I am sure Saban is telling him he will stay at AL for 4 more years if he commits there. The program needs to sign an elite QB in every class. When UGA was pursuing Caleb Williams and BVG I thought , rather than draw a commitment out to signing day, sign the 1st one that wants to commit and build your class around him. It looks like Manning will commit relatively early to help recruit an elite class with him. I believe UGA has as good a chance as anybody and better than most. Should be fun to watch.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even the slightest mention of Arch Manning turns the conversation into a QB discussion. Tomarrion sounds exactly like the type of player that can work his way into a dominate defensive stalwart with his physical attributes, intelligence, and the type of mental attitude Kirby loves. Keep loading that defense with elite talent and even a fifth year former walk-on with a true freshman TE as his primary target can lead the offense and team to a national championship!