Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NATIONAL TATER DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The common tater. So versatile and so goooood.

NATIONAL TATER DAY     

If you like your spuds, National Tater Day on March 31st is for you! The day recognizes all kinds of potatoes which provide us with essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

Potatoes are quite versatile, which might explain why so many people like them. They are the number one consumed vegetable in the United States. And when you consider how many ways we can eat the over 200 different kinds of potatoes in the United States, you shouldn’t be surprised.

First off, we can bake them. Who doesn’t like a baked potato? Yeah, we see you in back. Put your hand down. The rest of us absolutely love the baked spud. Plus those baked potatoes? You can bake them twice with all sorts of delicious toppings. Twice! Secondly, we can boil them. And from the boiled potatoes we can make soups, salads, or make one of the world’s all-time favorite potato dishes – mashed potatoes. And did you know, mashed potatoes have numerous different recipes, too? You can’t have shepherd’s pie without mashed potatoes. Dice them and slice them and we can make scalloped, fried, or even hashbrowns. And then, there’s potato dumplings and pancakes. 

Beyond all the ways we use potatoes, this day may have originally had a different meaning. At the beginning of April, parts of Kentucky celebrated the sweet potato (Tater Day). Sweet potatoes are one of the main cash crops in that area. Tater Day started way back in the early 1840s with the trading and selling of sweet potatoes. It is the oldest continuous trade day in the United States.

Worldwide, there are more than four thousand potato varieties

Since the time potatoes were shipped from Europe to the colonies in the early 17th century, their consumption has been a major part of the North American diet.

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalTaterDay

• Have your potato, tater, or spud the way you like it.
  • Sprinkle them with herbs, cheese, or just a hint of salt.
  • Try a new recipe.
  • What’s really important is that you celebrate this humble vegetable.
  • Share your favorite potato recipe.

What's your favorite way to enjoy a tater? I'd say I have a tie between fried taters for breakfast and double baked taters at dinner time.

Comments

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats to Clemson for having their own day.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Sweet "tater" fries in an air fryer are awesome.

Cut the sweet potato into steak fry wedges and marinate them in Italian dressing. Cook them in an air fryer at 375-400 degrees until crisp or to your liking (I like mine crispy and a little blackened). Dip in ranch dressing.

Trust me, it's really good.