Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

JT Daniels’ next visit pivotal: Can West Virginia pass Missouri, Oregon State?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,428 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageJT Daniels’ next visit pivotal: Can West Virginia pass Missouri, Oregon State?

ATHENS — Georgia quarterback JT Daniels is visiting West Virginia the April 9 weekend, the third of his visits since entering the NCAA transfer portal in January.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't argue with Kirby's calls at QB over the past two seasons, but JT is a major talent who could light things up for the right team in 2022 ... and go on to the pros as a major talent who just had bad luck in college.

I suppose there's a lingering question about his mobility but not about his decision-making, accuracy or strengths. He's shown a lot more in his years at UGA than, for example, Jacob Eason. DGD!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

……and don’t forget Bennett’s eye-popping national QB rating which doesn’t even factor in his rushing abilities.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has JT been working our and keeping fit? Has he been passing in a practice sense with anyone? W VA. Good fit for him. He has to remain healthy...big question? USC coach knows of his many other injuries...I am sure. I wish him well.

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

If he ends up making $$$ in the NFL then it will help increase the average income earned by UGA grads. I suspect he will do fine financially even if he never plays in the NFL.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

JT Daniels has the highest passer rating in UGA history, all time. Also still holds all records for Mater Dei, which you might know as the H.S. of Matt Barkley, Matt Leinert, Colt Brennan, and.... Bryce Young, and he didn't even play his senior year. Hey, we can play stat games all day long. But there is nothing to be gained by dissing a player just to make your guy sound better. Why can't everybody succeed with our best wishes? You think Kirby Smart is an infallible genius, that's your right. Some might disagree. And that's OK too.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's known to be fragile, which doesn't bode well for a pocket passer. He only completed 1 college season in the 4 that he was eligible to compete...and that was his Freshman year @USC.

No matter how good an arm they have, some guys just aren't built to withstand the punishment in the pocket. In Daniels' first year at UGA, Smart said he needed to improve his presence and awareness in the pocket. He knew. Daniels needed that 6th sense that the great ones have, when it comes to avoiding and slipping tackles. Vital to injury avoidance.

Bennett has that awareness. Watch him slip and dodge tackles in the pocket against Michigan and Bama in the CFP. Some of which, he didn't see...but, sensed. He's gotten a lot better at doing that and getting the ball out just a little quicker. That improvement made a world of difference in his effectiveness from 2020 to 2021. If he had been better at it against FLA in 2020, who knows, maybe he could have avoided injuring his shoulder on the TD pass to Rosemy-Jacksaint that put UGA up 14-0. It probably wound up costing UGA the game and an SECC appearance.

Daniels has most of the tools, but he still needs to improve his mobility and pocket presence. I'd like to him in a system like Mississippi St.. I still don't understand why Sarkesian at Texas or Brian Kelly at LSU aren't interested. Or...Lane Kiffin, or Jimbo Fisher or any of a number of top-tier schools and coaches.

Oregon St, Missouri and West VA seem a little pedestrian for a "great talent" on the market. We're not getting the whole story. Stay tuned.

• Options

I don't believe Bryce Young is as dominant as the average talking head seems to think. Simply put, he won the Heisman by default. Everybody else that the media touted as Heisman quality, dropped off the map and he was the one left standing. The drive at the end of the Auburn game won it for him. Bravo. Good job.

BUT, Young -to-Williams was the equivalent of Sullivan-to-Berry in the early '70's. Pat Sullivan won the Heisman, too, by connecting with 1 receiver on the team. They were synergistic and fed off each other. Neither, came near to performing at the same level individually, as they did with the sum of their parts. That's Young.

Unless he finds another connection like he had with Williams, I wouldn't look for a return trip to the Heisman Ceremony. He's not particularly mobile, but, can create plays (apparently) from time to time and is relatively accurate with a cannon for an arm. He gets flustered under pressure (see AUB and CFP UGA), because he's not comfortable outside the pocket...yet.

A lot of those things I expect, will improve from year-to-year and game-to-game.. BUT...He still needs a go-to target, like Williams, in order to be as effective as he was in 2021. Those type receivers are few and far between, even though BAMA has had more than their share the last decade.

Jury's still out on Young in my court. LOL

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Think you mean Terry Beasley, not Berry. However, I do get your point......you do have to have players around you to succeed. I do not believe I would have made the move Young did.

BTW, Sullivan was a helluva QB in college. He was taken in the second round in the pros, the pros is just a different game....I believe his height hurt him. But he definitely had plenty of talent. Young also has an height issue, but he has wheels......thinks he will struggle in the pros.

Beasley was also a helluva an athlete and player, from what I remember, he ran a 9.5 100 (yds). He was a 1st rounder, but his career was cut short because of injuries....not talent.

Sullivan to Beasley was a pretty dayum good tandem.

Daniels, I hope he finds success wherever he goes....but he is DEAD to me, time to move on. Him leaving is probably a good move for both sides.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Shame it didn’t get to play at full strength in2022. He had a couple of 400 yard passing games when the run game was being quashed, one of course was the peach bowl against a salty defense.wish him the best.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

You're right...thanks. My brother and I were just kids at the time, but, football fanatics. We didn't have ESPN, the internet or wall-to-wall college football coverage on Saturdays. LOL. What I remember about Sullivan and Beasley mostly came out the news paper.

We'd watch the Vince Dooley Show, the Doug Dickie Show and occasionally we'd get the Bear Bryant Show (he was boring, Lol), every Sunday after church. It was our NFL appetizer.

The NFL is where we hung our hat and hearts...particularly, the Falcons. It wasn't till we got a little older and had 2 cousins playing for UGA, that we became big Dawg fans. I later played for former UGA RB and coach John Donaldson, whose wife, Anne, designed and patented the "G" on the side of UGA's helmet. At the time, Mike Cavan was spending a lot of time on campus recruiting Lindsey Scott and Jeff Lott (my best friend). My cuz, Ashley Madray was playing OG. That's when I really became a big college fan. We knew what UGA had going into 1979-1980 and that they would be a tough beat. It really was a different game back then. I kinda miss it.

Anyway...I'm rambling. Sorry.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Norm Van Brocklin that drafted Sullivan. We all had high hopes for him, cause Brocklin was a QB coach. Sullivan just never developed. It wasn't like the Falcons were loaded on offense or anything. Sullivan didn't seem to fit, but, it wan't all his fault. I forget where he transferred, but he was relegated to perpetual backup.

Beasley was very good. He didn't have the same impact in the pros, that he had in college, but, you could say that about most hyped college players. I think he later became a big actor on a cop show...Hill Street Blues or something like that.