Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia scrimmage report: Stetson Bennett holding starting job, Dominick Blaylock breaks out

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith ...You never actually answered the overlying question. So, I'll pose it again and try to be clear in what I am asking.

IF..........Bennett is indeed 24 going on 25

THEN...Why was he a 19 year old High School Senior? Was he left back a couple of years due to academic or behavioral problems?

IN OTHER WORDS.....Why didn't he graduate when other 24 going on 25 year Olds graduated. 2015...Not 2017!

AND.....Was he eligible to play his Senior year of High School under Georgia High School Association rules?

The above answer may go toward defining Bennett's psyche. I would think it's important to "the story".

As far as Bennett's performance, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I see something in him, you don't. Fine...I respect your integrity and opinion. I personally believe that anything you hear come out of Smarts mouth at this point in the off-season, is meant to reinforce what he is telling the kids in his office, the locker room and on the field. He's not going to compliment Seniors in the press...he'll challenge them and save the compliments for the younger players as encouragement. My coach, John Donaldson (former UGA player/coach and WCHS coach), did the same thing. He and Dooley were very similar in that respect.

I didn't always agree with my Dad on QB's, either. LOL. I liked Stafford.. he didn't. He liked Tebow...I didn't. One QB we both agreed was one of the best ever to play the game...Johnny Unitas! Unitas didn't throw the ball all over the field...he was just a great leader in the huddle and refused to give up in a game. That's the stuff I believe Bennett has.

• Options

BTW, I've been an avid football fan and player going back to the '60's, and I can tell you this unequivocally....There has never been a QB to play the game that didn't have some "bone-headed" plays.

To focus on Bennett for a few bone head plays is disingenuous and pointless. You can do that with every QB in the game and come up with a list. Bennett is still National Champion and CFP MVP. Come on!

Get em Dawgs!

• Options

One more thing...LOL.

Smart's comments regarding Bennett may have actually been meant for the ears of one of the other QB's without actually calling him out in the press and damaging his ego and confidence. A subliminal message, if you will. He used Bennett's name because he knows Bennett can take the criticism...he withstood far worse in the press last year and it rolled off his back like water on a duck.

Maybe Beck isn't going to class like he should and Vandergriff is making bone headed plays in practice. Instead of calling them out in the press...you call out your "star"...and now, they get the point.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 As @MikeGriffith wrote, Stetson is 24 going on 25. He was born October 28, 1997.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

LOL..Unbelievable! Can people not comprehend what they are reading anymore? Seriously...that wasn't the GD question. Read again!

• Options

Here it is again in the simplest terms...

WHY DID HE GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL 2 YEARS AFTER HIS PEERS?

WAS HE ELIGIBLE FOR HIGH SCHOLL COMPETITION IN 2016-2017 ACCORDING TO GEORGIA HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATION RULES?

I don't know how much simpler I can make it. If bo one wants to answer the question, then to heck with it. It will ll come out one day.

• Options

@MikeGriffith

If you do an in depth on-line search regarding Bennett's age and High School years, you get 3 different answers from various news outlets including a family website. LOL

1. Born Oct 28, 1997 (24)

2. Born Oct 28, 1998 (23) (family website, wiki, HAQ Express, etal)

3. Born Oct 28, (year unconfirmed)

Based on what's believable vs confirmed, it seems we remain with nothing but a question. I guess it's not that important, but, it is interesting, how/why a kid like Bennett graduates high school at the age of 19 with a 4.0 GPA.

Hilarious.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Me personally I don't think as a QB you can luck your way to a NC. THe best luck UGA received was when BAMA lost their best 2 receivers. Receivers that will go in rounds 1 and 2. THat was dodging a bullet. Not saying we wouldn't have still won. No one can say one way or the other for sure and anyone who tells you different is just being a homer. I'll just take what Lady Luck threw our way and smile.