Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Weighing in on Mel Kiper’s ‘Big Board,’ where it’s right, and what the ESPN expert missed

SystemSystem Posts: 10,560 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageWeighing in on Mel Kiper’s ‘Big Board,’ where it’s right, and what the ESPN expert missed

ATHENS — The 2022 NFL Draft is fast approaching, putting player prospects on edge while draft analysts like ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. take their best stab of how things might go down.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

I'd hate to be a tackler facing Zeus with a chip on his shoulder. Somebody's going to get a real deal in Salyer in whatever spot he's picked. All baker's dozen or so of them will be good, maybe even great pros... a real tribute to the red and black. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Walker, JD. DW, Dean, Cine,Tindall, all going in the 1st 50 players. Pickens, Walker, Cook in the next 46. So, 9 in the 1st 3 rounds and If Jamaree slides in then 10 in the 3 rounds . Not bad.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

First off, if you go back and audit Mel Kiper's ratings/predictions, over the years, you will see just as much wrong as what he got right. Maybe more. Zamir White's rating is further down because of the 2 ACL injuries. That does not bode well for a long professional career vs someone who has not had surgically repaired knees. If they rated guys for heart, leadership, work ethic and commitment to team, ZWhite would be near or at the top. Averaging over 800 yards /season and 5.3 yards/carry over the last 2 seasons is impressive in a the platoon system that UGA runs.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kiper is far more "entertainer" than seasoned expert... I generally take what he says with a grain of salt, while also not being particularly amused. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the Atlanta Falcons have a chance to pick Travon Walker at No. 8, and fail to do so, I will cancel my membership in the Falcons Fan Club!!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Falcons are putting together a pretty good defense, one piece at a time. They signed former UGA OLB Lorenzo Carter and former BAMA OLB Quinton Bell recently and a few top DB's.

I would like to see them get J. Davis or N Dean and G. Pickens.

Like Mike...LOL, I'm a little surprised Pickens isn't getting more attention. He really hasn't been 100% for 2 years, but, he is absolutely one of the top 5 receivers in this draft. I think Pickens is in the better shape, physically, right now, than he's been in since his Freshman year. The injury bug is haunting his reputation and that's the only issue with him.

Frankly, if he wanted to go higher in the draft, he should have returned for one more year. If he came back and put together one complete year of injury-free work...he would have gone in the 1st round next year. I guess he didn't want to risk another injury and therein lies the rub. If he doesn't want to risk it, why would an NFL team want to sign him to a big contract and assume the risk. Not likely to happen. I'd be surprised if his advisors didn't provide that counsel.

Oh well, we'll see him play on Sundays and he'll be successful...if he stays healthy.

• Options

One more thing...if the Falcons drafted J. Salyer to play next to J Mathews, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. LOL. Their O-Line was abysmal last year...and the year before...and the year before.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My second thought would be Devonte Wyatt ( not JD-just see more three down v. two down production out of Wyatt) if they can't get Walker and pickup Pickens with their first pick of the second round.

I don't think he deserves to fall into the second round but what a "catch" if he did.

Salyer would be awesome for the 2nd second round pick that the Falcons have. or the first pick in the second round if Pickens is gone.... not sure that any of this will happen, just what I would like to see!!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pickens, if healthy, is by far...by "FAR," the most talented and best wide receiver in this draft class. The corners and safeties in the NFL are fast enough to keep up with the faster receivers. However, Pickens is the type of receiver who has an uncanny ability to utilize his body in a manner that allows him to catch balls over, through or around people....and most of all, the diving catches that are un-catchable for most receivers, to include the top 3 receivers in this draft class, as ranked by Kiper. Pickens would be an absolute steal in any pick outside of the top 20. The Falcons should definitely go after him with their second pick, if he last that long... and I hope they don't go for a QB in this draft class. That would be a waste of a draft pick. They should go all in for Bryce Young in next year's draft class.

• Options

Guys, I agree with both of you, by and large. One thing I think may be under the radar of most of these "experts", is that Davis is capable of being a 3 down guy. He's got the speed and quickness. If you noticed, he trimmed down about 15-20 lbs before the Combine. You know that's been his goal since last season, but, the guy likes to eat. LOL....I guess the real question with him, in most of these GM's minds, would be...does he have the self-discipline to regulate and sustain? He's gonna be a monster on most downs, but he could be a Marcus Stroud squared.

Is he worth a first round pick? Well, we know what he did on the field and at the combine. What we don't know, is how he did in his interviews, background checks and psychological evaluation. The guy's gonna be a good player, but, will he be a great player? I certainly hope so. I've got faith in him, but, I'm biased. LOL

Pickens will be a steal in one of the early to mid-rounds unless one of these teams actually look at more than the standard prototype NFL metrics. If they can get away from their charts and statistics and actually evaluate his talent and go outside the box a little bit...one of the 32 teams will get a helluva receiver.