Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia’s Warren Brinson arrested on charges of simple battery after water bead gun shooting

2»

Comments

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We don't know the exact circumstances of this incident, but IMO we shouldn't be blaming the police or even the alleged victims.

Can we agree that 20-something year olds shouldn't even throw anything at strangers on the street -- much less take shot at them? Yes, gel balls are painless (usually). And yes, he allegedly thought they were friends. But we don't know the circumstances. Did they think this 300-pound stranger was attacking them with real gun? Did it hit someone in the eye? Did he apologize and stick around, or did he flee or mouth off to them? Did tempers flare? Was there an argument or a threat of some sort (i.e. related to the stalking charge)? We just don't know.

But it IS pretty likely that once the complaint was made -- and assuming that the evidence backed up the alleged victims' story -- the police were obligated to file charges. They didn't convict him. They just did their jobs.

Also, he's not just any 20-something. Yes, he's young. But he represents the Bulldogs, he's on scholarship and he receives a lot of character-building coaching precisely NOT to do this sort of thing. In general, I'm really impressed by the way Georgia players comport themselves (@MikeGriffith alludes to this by pointing to our stellar Outland and Bednarik winner). But sometimes 20-year-old young men do boneheaded things, and they need to understand the consequences. If it doesn't reveal a serious character flaw, it usually helps them grow up. Charging him with two misdemeanors -- not convicting -- seems fitting given that there was a complaint.

I hope it works out amicably, which often happens in this sort of case. I hope he has a great season because he really does seem primed to contribute. But police have a difficult job. IMHO, we shouldn't be faulting them for his poor judgment.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree for the most part, but College kids have been throwing and dropping water balloons and snow balls since they began. It's part of the culture and harmless shenanigans. Nothing more. So, technology upgraded water balloon delivery, what's the big deal? LOL

Can't believe I'm commenting on this stuff. LOL.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bravo !! This is one of if not The most reasonable and well thought out comments on this matter. Much better than My comments to I might add. When I’m wrong about something I don’t mind admitting it. I Learn from my mistakes and being wrong or at least I Try hard to. It’s the Way that someone shows me that I’m wrong. I’m not so thin skinned that I can’t take Constructive criticism and I actually appreciate it. But it’s when someone gets all snarky and attacks my character in criticizing me that I get bent out of shape. I really like how you try to look at All sides of this issue, and ask very relevant and pertinent questions. Keeping a cool composure and being level headed is a Vary valuable personality trait. That attitude will carry a person through life in a very positive way. I’m still Trying to keep that sort of attitude but will readily confess the older I get the less patience I seem to have, and the more ornery and cantankerous I seem to get. To put it in a simple way I ain’t liking this old age gig lol !! I did more than my fair share of bone headed things in my younger years. But my Plea to younger folks is please take a hard Look at this incident and similar ones that have occurred before and Learn from them !! And Know that these kind of things can get you in a Ton of trouble !! Sometimes ruin your life permanently !! We Do live in a vastly different world now and even things that were considered “normal” ten years ago are considered abnormal now. I Know it’s hard to reign spontaneity in, but Try, try hard, Stop and Think before you Do things. In this world now what might have been started off as a harmless act of spontaneous fun can cost you dearly depending on the circumstances. Sad that’s it’s that way, but it is what it is. God Bless & Protect our young people they live in a Much more challenging time than I did !!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

You are playing a little loose with the truth bro. But that doesn't surprise me. As for what happened with demonstrations and riots, much has not yet been resolved through the judicial process. As a parent of a UGA student you want the Athens/campus police to be diligent and vigilant in protecting students. Students are always easy targets for crime. You cannot have guys driving by, sticking a gun out the window and shooting at people. Period. Those 2 young women were injured. Wonder what they were thinking, before they knew it was a gel gun, when they saw a stranger aiming a gun at them in drive by? Ya think maybe terrified? THAT'S why we have rules that EVERYONE needs to follow. So we can enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It is the rules. You want them to bend the rules for a UGA football player because they are football players. That mentality is part of the problem. You can bet that CKS will be having some teaching moments w/Mr. Brinson and the team in the near future. It has also been reported that the victims were pressing charges. That means it must proceed legally.