Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Report: Former 5-star OT Amarius Mims places name into the transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageReport: Former 5-star OT Amarius Mims places name into the transfer portal

The whispers of what might happen this spring have come to pass.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

GOOD RIDDANCE.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Figured...LOL. I knew you must know something when you reported on it earlier.

My guess is, they wanted him to move to OG to meet team needs, and he had visions of LT. There is no glory in playing guard.

OR

The NIL whisperers got in his ear and convinced him to make a move in their direction. The NCAA has rules preventing Universities from recruiting talent from each other; however, there are no rules preventing Businesses/Alumni from offering NIL money to entice transfer. At least, not yet. Guess we'll know more, when he identifies his destination.

If I was Smart, I would take a preemptive strike against that possibility, and not sign off on a list of SEC Schools that include, BAMA, A&M, TENN, FLA, LSU, KTY or Ole MISS. All SEC schools with known or suspected NIL Co-ops.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bummer. He'll likely be a force, wherever he lands. Go Dawgs!

• ffowler12ffowler12 Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

You can't keep everyone happy when a team has the talent that UGA has. This is the bad part of the transfer portal. A player can take the easy way out instead of staying and working through adversity. People must EARN playing time with a good program and a good Coach like Kirby Smart. Oh, by the way, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out! NIL! NIL! NIL!

• DawgDaddyDawgDaddy Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Not going to lie, I wish he was staying but if he thinks he need to go...he needs to go. Good luck to he and Webb.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just roll on to Texas A&M. Sitting on your fat butt will feel better drawing an equally fat paycheck. Good luck with the probation lol.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really hate to see Mims leave and don’t understand folks jumping on him for that. Different time right now and the NIL has changed things quite a bit. Hard to blame these kids and certainly wish he was staying in Athens. Hope he does well unless he plays against us, then hopefully he has a really bad game. All I can say is the NIL has definitely unleashed the Wild West and the lame NCAA won’t be able to get it under control. Heck, it took them almost 10-years to get rid of the BB coach at LSU.

• KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 76 ✭✭ Sophomore

If you don't want to be here, LEAVE. A lot of players are not good enough to play for UGA or Kirby Smart. I just hate to see these players play against us down the road. If you leave, really leave, leave SEC football. Go play ACC, Lord knows they need some help.

• KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 76 ✭✭ Sophomore

To be honest I wish he would stay also. With injury and everything else I believe you always stand a chance to play. Put in the work you can improve, get better and earn your playing time.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From Griffith's article (wouldn't let me post there):

"A source with direct knowledge of the situation said a starting spot on the Georgia offensive line wasn’t at the root of Mims’ desire to put himself on what amounts to the free-agent market."

Sounds like there had to have been more to that conversation?

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

You move McClendon to RG and start Mims at RT and hope he develops and holds his own. It was a no brainer to keep the highest rated OL ever recruited by UGA. I think CKS thought Mims would accept the BJones route to PT. Mims must be a) always hurt b) really bad or c) really lazy to not rise to the level of 1st team reps in his 2nd year with his physical skillset. He will be a hot commodity in the TP. UGA will be scrambling for starting OT's in '23. I like the SEC transfer rule. It was adopted for a reason. I think it should be enforced. Webb is an undersized (for the SEC) G that doesn't want to play C. Hope he does well at his next stop. Will be interesting to see where he lands. I suspect somewhere in the ACC.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow !! Just Wow !! I must say this Did catch me Totally off guard !! I read about the rumors but I sure thought it was just that, rumors. This has got to be NIL related right ?? Well I wish him the very best Except in any games he plays in against UGA. And nothing against Amarius Mims but I want players at UGA that are totally loyal to the Dawgs and UGA. I know with all the NIL deals that’s gonna take a Huge bite out of the number of players that have that kind of loyalty but those are the players I want to be Dawgs. NOTE: I see Allot of room for corruption with this NIL stuff. Would have faired Much better if the NCAA and the various conferences would have set up some type of compensation in addition to the scholarships. Had their chances to do just that now college football will get messier and messier as time goes by.

Playing time was not a consideration in this move. Mims got a lot of playing time in 2021, as a true Freshman and moving into a starter roll for 2022 was not out of the question. He could have won a starting job between now and the end of Fall camp.

NIL tampering is afoot here. This is exactly why Smart looks hard at a kid's psychological motivations and traits. But, with a #8 overall recruit, you have to take a chance. It didn't work out with Mims. That being said, I'll be danged if I'd sign off on him playing for any SEC team, especially the ones that have an NIL Co-op or organization. FLA, KTY, TENN, LSU, ALA, MISS, MIZZU, AUB, A&M...All out of the question. I might consider letting him play at ARK, just because of Sam Pittman.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

If you think playing time was not a consideration you are sadly misinformed. Mims starting at UGA is worth as much in NIL as Mims starting anywhere else. The key word is "starting". Mims was the 4th OT last season. He did not even play in every game. Salyer and McClendon got the lion's share of game action with BJones spelling both until Salyer got hurt. If Mims were the starting LT for UGA there would not even be an article on this subject.

Maybe you ought to read Mike Griffith's article. Sounds to me like playing time wasn't the issue.

Mike quotes a source with "direct knowledge of the situation" saying, "a starting spot on the Georgia offensive line wasn't at the root of Mim's desire to put himself on what amounts to the free-agent market."

Mike goes on to say, "Mims in fact had a pathway to breaking into the Bulldogs starting lineup before the team's opening game against Oregon on Sep 3 with offseason conditioning and Fall drills still ahead.

Aside from the above cited information and the fact he got to play in 7 games as a Freshman, which is generous for a 1st year OT, no matter who it is...especially on a NC Team....what information do you have that points to him leaving because he's not "a starter".

If I am the one that is misinformed...please enlighten me and the rest of DawgNation. We're on the edge of our seat. LOL

I'm not even going to get into the problems with your other comments regarding playing time for Salyer, Mims, Mclendon and Jones. Not worth it. I'll let somebody else do that. LOL

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope someone is going to keep a tally of what happens with all those eight 5 stars this year at Texas A&M. There is no question that NIL is and will be nasty for the foreseeable future. I personally would think twice about getting too involved on the receiving end of the transfer portal. Some of these most promising switchers may not be good for team chemistry essential to winning a NC.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

First, before I suggest you chill so you aren't coming off like an ?hole in the future...who cares? He had his reasons and that is all that matters. Nothing matters. He wanted to leave. Could have been 20 possible reasons. Or more. You don't know what's in his decision and nobody else does either publicly. Secondly, you know nothing more than the guy you are criticizing. Just because you think you are the smartest guy in the room, and you may be, you come off as a jerk, in public, like a bully, LOLing like your superior, putting some guy down for his opinion, a reasonable opinion he had at that. That could be your son or brother, uncle dad, or you being laughed at and put down for a reasonable and possible correct opinion. You think playing time was ZERO percent of the equation? Hmphh. Bet it was 51% minimum.

LOL...What do you think you sound like. Both of you are coming at me all wrong.

As far as my post, I cited quotes and actual opinion from "sources close to the situation". I have no more personal knowledge than you or anybody else. I was just pointing out, that I wasn't "sadly misinformed". I was commenting on what was being reported and defending my integrity.

The information I shared was in Mike Griffith's article and included inside information. Which was a pretty good assessment, I thought. Take it...or leave it. Mims will do what he will do, but, my opinion stands. NIL played the biggest role. We'll find out who's been in his ear pretty soon.

Why didn't he play more last season? My guess is that he didn't warrant more playing time in 2021. Maybe he wasn't getting it. Maybe he hadn't bought in. Maybe he wasn't in playing shape. All of which are identified in practice and used to divide up reps. I don't know exactly why he didn't play more than he did. What I do know is that Luke and Smart, both expressed a desire to play him more throughout the year. For some reason...Mims never developed the way they expected. Jones did. Mims still got playing time and film, though. And, If he had stayed, there's a pretty good chance he would be starting somewhere on the O-line in 2022.