Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Amarius Mims transfer decision means for Georgia football offensive line

SystemSystem Posts: 10,586 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhat Amarius Mims transfer decision means for Georgia football offensive line

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry to see him go, but I wonder if he lacks the work ethic of many of our other players. I notice his biceps are much smaller than our typical lineman. Oh well….I wish him well.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

5 days till G day! We shall see how our positions stack up.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Webb will be no big loss, an overrated HS recruit, and it shows. #1 HS C in his class can't crack the starting lineup? A Result of lower rated players out working him and pushing him completely out of the picture.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am assume he's still a redshirt freshman- and he's mad because he isn't starting this year? Don't you have 3 years left after 2022? Either he's a prima donna who fgures he's just better than the guy in front of him and he isn't getting the recognition he deserves or he's just pissed at somebody(s), doesn't like the coach(s).

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2022

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard..." - Tim Notke

"You can't be common; the common man goes nowhere; you have to be uncommon." - Herb Brooks.

"I'm not looking for the best players; I'm looking for the right ones." - Herb Brooks

The meaning of the above quotes seem to be the issue with come of the 5* players that initially come to Georgia. Five Stars guarantee nothing... Look at perennial crowd favorite Jordan Davis... Three Star recruit that kept his mouth shut, stayed humble, worked his behind off and now is likely to be a First Round NFL draft pick, or, at worst, a high Second Round pick... Star ratings indicate potential - they don't measure heart - nor do they measure work ethic - or intangibles...

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Need to keep, develop, and inspire those stud-pups Morris and Fairchild... they'll be a force to be reckoned with when their time comes, possibly even sooner rather than later. Love our depth in that room. Go Dawgs.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This transfer portal is going to turn into a nightmare and there must be more stringent rules placed to upon it. Sitting out a year would be a nice one to bring back to stop what will become a huge problem down the road.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, Connor. I really enjoyed this piece and the in-depth analysis provided on our interior O-line. Excited to see who Kirby and the coaches have out there paving the way towards a repeat appearance in the SECCG/CFP’s come 09/03/2022. Oregon is first in the way. God rest their souls.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see Mims as looking out for Mims...not the program or school....he is going to go where he can be seen as this big stud lineman ready for the league any day. He did not seem to want to earn a position but wanted it given to him because he is 5 star. Many like him have this perverted sense of self grandeur. Was skeptical of him from day one. Let's see how he does outside the SEC. I am glad he is gone....personally....he would influence other players. Certainly would not have been a good leader. That is my take...like it or not.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

In the last 3 recruiting cycles UGA recruited 13 OL. Of those 13, (only?) six were actually "Top 100" recruits (Rivals). That Includes Mims and only BJones as guys that were clearly OT. So while UGA is set this season (barring injury) at OT next year is a different story as BJones and McClendon are both expected to leave after this season. As CRiley pointed out in today's article (as I did commenting on a different article yesterday). The "problem" is only/mostly at LT as UGA is fixed with "adequate" depth across the OL. UGA does currently have 1 top 100 commit at OT in the '23 cycle. Most of the body/size types of the reserve OL seem to be better suited for OG. Truss and Willock (both 3* -neither top 100) can probably represent well at RT. All 4 of the OL recruited in '22 are listed at >= 330 lb. That is a tough weight to play RT at let alone LT. The answer (for RT only?) may be TRatledge getting his lower leg injury completely healed. He was initially listed as a highly ranked OT. As far as Mims goes. maybe he will change his mind? The only place I see him POSSIBLY substantially better off in NIL would be aTm (in need of OL) . Are TX, USC, OK , FU, FSU, LSU really any better $$$ than UGA? Would Saban take Mims after having recruited three Top 15 (Rivals) 5* OT's in the last 2 cycles? Would Mims be any better off going to AL with 3 top 15 5* OT's there already ahead of him? Seems to me the best place for Mims would be to stay at UGA play a lot this year and dominate next year. Too late now but McClendon to RG would've solved this problem.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very good comment. I posted many similar thoughts one one of the other threads.

Seems to me that Mims would benefit by staying put. He's needs at least two more years before being ready for the NFL anyway, and the experience he gets at UGA -- following a year behind Broderick Jones -- gives him a chance to develop skills, get game reps and perhaps avoid injury before hitting the big stage in 2023.

I do think Truss is a pretty good option at LT. He's 6'7" and, even though he appears to lack the frame of Mims, he could be closer to 340 by the Oregon Game. That's a great size for protecting passers.

Not sure I'd agree on moving McLendon to tackle: Two years at RT is a big advantage, and between Ericson, Fairchild, Morris, Ratledge and Willock (not even counting Truss) -- we've got a lot of depth there.

Totally agree that the issue is 2023, though. And Mims was set up for success that season if he lived up to expectations.

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

The rules on the transfer portal have changed a lot of things, not many for the good. Maybe we should go back to sitting out a year, that would slow things back down.

• Options
    edited April 2022

Cannot disagree except possibly with Truss at LT. Granted a college LT won't see the polished edge rushers a pro LT will BUT does Truss (especially at 340) have the balance, agility and feet to pass protect against the speed rushers he will see? Freshman Turner from AL gave both Salyer and BJones fits. He is there for 2 more years. While CKS and staff have done well developing players my point was that , the last couple years, the guys recruited have not been all that highly rated at OT. Probably because they saw UGA had Mims there. On the college level, on what is a run first team, big road graders might be good enough to get you to the playoff. McClendon is a good player. For whatever reason Mims doesn't want to apprentice at G for a year. I suspect McClendon is enough of a team player that if he was asked to move over he would. And would do well there. That allows you to play Mims at RT and keeps him happy(?). Then are you dealing with some OG's that aren't happy? Probably. Does 1 of them then leave? Is it better to keep Mims and lose someone else? IDK. But it does seem that there are a multitude of good choices at OG if Truss or Willock or another OG decides to leave. Just sayin. Mims was the highest ranked OL recruit from the Kirby era (ever?). He was viewed by teammates as "a generational" talent.

• Options

It won't happen. I still don't understand how sitting out 1 season of games but still getting tuition, housing, training table, elite coaching, practice to improve skill level, workout facilities, an extra year of education, tutors, financial stipend etc etc is a bad thing. The bigger problem seems to be NIL. Money being offered for attending a specific school was not the intention of NIL. This will have to change.