Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

JT Daniels headed to West Virginia, praises Georgia football fans

SystemSystem Posts: 10,444 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageJT Daniels headed to West Virginia, praises Georgia football fans

ATHENS — Georgia quarterback JT Daniels is committing to transfer to West Virginia and play for the Mountaineers in the Big 12 this upcoming season, according to a source with direct knowledge.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart move going to the defense optional Big 12. I hope JT can stay healthy.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All the best, JT. And thanks for everything you did for us while you were here.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart move by JT...fits their offense to a fair thee well. He should make them dominant this year... if he stays healthy? I like JT and wish him well.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2022

WVU now has one of the top QBs in the nation, running the Air Raid offense that Graham Harrell (and, uh, Todd Monken) knows and loves. He should thrive and it couldn't happen to a better young man. His statements about UGA, the fans, and Athens were terrific and much appreciated.

One aspect of JT that we don't hear a lot about: he graduated H.S. (Mater Dei, where he still holds every passing record) a full year early, with a 4.0++ average, taking full loads of AP classes. And was handed play-calling authority as a Sophomore (not done before or since, even with Matt Leinart, Matt Barkley, Colt Brennan, or Bryce Young). He has an NFL arm and an NFL brain and it will be great to see them put them to use in the right "fit."

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best Wishes to JT!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

And despite bouncing from one college to another, from one side of the country to the other, he got good grades and completed his bachelor's degree. I'd happily call him an honorary DGD, and wish him the best. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yep. I'd'a lived to see him thrive here. But, I can understand why he left ( moreso than some of the other transfers). Good luck to him.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Couldn't agree more! That WV vs PITT game is one I won't miss.

@DeppDogg .. One thing I'd add, he almost beat #5 Notre Dame in the last game of the 2018 season, as a Freshman by throwing for 349 yds, 1 TD, 0 INTs. He's had the worst luck of any 5 star QB in history. LOL. I sincerely pray that changes for him. No matter what he decides to do with his future, I have no doubt, he'll be successful

I am kind of surprised that he didn't decide to play for Missouri. I thought that was the place for him, with their Offensive improvements since Drink got there. Not to mention Mizzu signing one of the top receivers this year, that dominated in the Under Armour All-Star game.

@MikeGriffith ....IMO, for the record...Mims, Daniels, Webb, J. Davis, McConkey and Cincinnati prove that the recruiting services Star Rating system is only for fans. You don't have to have 5 stars after your name to be an impactful College Football Player. Coaching still counts for something. LOL

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And, suddenly, I'm a Mountaineers fan! 😁🤣

This young man is just so admirable. While I think we're all disappointed the injury rolls of the dice meant it didn't fully work out for him at UGA, there is no way you can say this guy is anything but honorable, loyal, and a truly competitive team player.

Im older than I'd like to admit 🙂, and I've got a ton of experience under my belt in many parts of life. That said, I can honestly say I've learned a few things from this guy that I hope to be able to adopt in my own life going forward. Unusually calm, committed, and selfless, without losing competitive fire.

I will root for him at WVU, and if he makes it to the NFL, I'll root for him there, too. And if he instead makes it into real estate, accounting, consulting, management, running a restaurant, or whatever, I'll root for him there too!

Might even go to see a WVU game now 🤠

PS: Mike Griffith, great article. No rehashing of all the old debates, great value-added content, and much appreciated 👍

• Options
    gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

JT is a Class Act, whose body has let him down repeatedly. Some guys' bodies just can't stand up to all the punishment they have to take in this sport.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True. Joe Namath's knees are a good example of a great passer whose body failed him, while Fran Tarkenton defied the odds of a mobile QB staying healthy. Of course, Broadway Joe did party like if was 1999. LOL

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart move by JT picking a team with all 5 starting OL returning. Definitely be checking out WVU games next season to see how he does.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Congratulations JT! You’ve been a class act in your time at Georgia. It didn’t go unnoticed at how you coached Stetson every time he came off the field. Helping him be successful while competing with him. You earned the respect you got and even more. Give’m heck JT!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hear, hear! My youngest daughter will probly want a WV tshirt / jersey!

She's a huge fan of JTD and was so sad when he announced plans to transfer.

I'm gonna miss him too, and hope he puts together a great year for NFL scouts to see.

Class act all the way!