Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart doesn’t need to name Stetson Bennett as Georgia football starting quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart doesn’t need to name Stetson Bennett as Georgia football starting quarterback

ATHENS — Kirby Smart didn’t have to name a starting quarterback following the Bulldogs’ annual G-Day Game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So..... second G-Day in a row Beck outplays Bennett but The Mailman will, once again, be grilling in the backyard with the Smart family while Carson heads to Zaxby's for some love (or another school – please no).

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DeppDogg FYI: Bennett was going against the 1st Team Defense and Beck was going against the 2nd Team Defense.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, Bennett is definitely the starter despite a far from perfect performance. Vandagriff has potential but is nowhere close to being the starter. Beck, however, DID have an excellent performance and needs to get at least as much playing time as possible.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

What, MG “The One Trick Pony” wrote an article without glorifying his BFF, JT? Say it’s not so!!

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

What's with you and your continuous hatred for Bennett? What did the guy ever do to you?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Come on now ...there is a difference between the 1st and 2nd team defenses. Although, I wrote in another comment section that Bennett did not look consistently sharp. He is short so gets balls batted down and does tend to throw behind or to one side of his receivers. But on a couple of longer throws he was spot on. No contact. That really helps. No need to scramble all the time. Did you note how quick and nimble Brock V. is on his feet? He had no play , so made his own. Beck seemed more settled and seasoned this time round. We have a trio of very good QBs.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry, and this is not a knock on Bennett, but Beck is the best QB we have. It does not matter which D he went against because not every team will be the level defense we have. He looked better last year, he looked better this year. And we will not have the same defense as last year to fall back on.

I like Bennett and his story, his love of the University of Georgia and his tenacity, He is a good quarterback but Beck is the better quarterback.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I believe we will have to score a lot this year. Our defense will be decent but not dominant early in the season so it’s the offense this year that will have to pick up the slack.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck looked like he was a year ahead of Brock today.He looked comfortable in his own skin. But SB is going to captain this ship.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

... and I believe we WILL score a lot this year.

We have lots of returning starters and rotation players from a very good offense plus some excellent new faces. Whomever the QB is, we'll finish in the top ten in total yards and points.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best thing about Georgia 2022? Kirby and Monken are going to make the starting QB decisions, as opposed to you making them. (All in good fun.) 🤣

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

With the talent the Dawgs have surrounding a 6th year, CFP championship, graduate QB, this offense better be **** near unstoppable.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KhunKhaoDawg Thanks for pointing out the typo! Stetson had 2 interceptions in the game, just to be clear.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sorry, but, if you're gonna make a comparison...at least compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

What did Beck do when he was moved to the Black team against the same defense Bennett was facing?

Nothing...case closed.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aside from all the pomp & cirmunstance surrounding the QB's in what amounted to a sand-lot game....LOL. Did anybody notice the defensive effort by the 1st team defense and some of the guys on the 2nd team defense?

The Red Team defense (1st team) was getting penetration against one of the best offensive lines in the Country and the DB's were step for step with receivers. If the QB was going to complete a pass, it had to be a perfect most of the time. In tight windows and placement throws (i.e., throws to a spot only the receiver can catch or defend). The Black team QB didn't get to hold the ball very long, either.

I will add...only Bennett was able to put up points for the Black team. Both Vandergriff and Beck got a short on the Black team side. While both guys showed flashes of what could be in 2023, neither QB showed they are ready right now. That's just my opinion.