Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: More to Georgia football offense than G-Day numbers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: More to Georgia football offense than G-Day numbers

ATHENS — Kirby Smart wasn’t ready to do too much evaluation into the G-Day Game in the press conference following the annual public scrimmage at Sanford Stadium.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Stetson Bennett struggled throughout the day….” Talk about a hot take! 🤣

@MikeGriffith I enjoy and respect your coverage of UGA overall, but you are biased against Bennett for some reason I just don’t understand. Perhaps try an exercise, attempt to write an article examining the positives of Bennett’s performance on G-Day? 😉

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree. Once again all Stetsons cons get filled in front of him marching the team down the field in crunch time to win. Spring performances mean nothing… and all the QB’s struggled. I truly believe he will be much more careful with the ball this year. I also thought some of the touch on his balls is making good progress. Gilbert and bowers and delp in bunch formations with a spoedster like mckonkey or Arian smith is gonna be fun. Imagine all that with a rb like McIntosh as an outlet. Gonna be fun.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Literally, the previous post by @MikeGriffith was positive news about Bennett, duly reported. If you're looking for a pattern of bias, you can always find it by ignoring evidence that contradicts your hypothesis.

Isn't 15/35 with two interceptions the very definition of "struggling?" How's Griffith SUPPOSED to characterize that? He also pointed out that the lack of play action played against Bennett's strengths.

There were and always will be questions raised about a 5'11", walk-on QB at a team like Georgia -- especially when the second, third and fourth stringers have arms and statures out of central casting.

And it IS jarring that Fromm and Bennett have won out as starters over higher rated players like Eason, Fields, Daniels, Beck and Vandagriff - even if you think every call Smart turned out to be the right one.

The good news is that Bennett's built -- about as much as any player I've ever watched -- to be motivated by such controversy. He's improved a lot, and as Smart's said, he continues to get better ... which we know because Griffith's reported it.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. There is no way to view the performance as inspiring or any different than the past. With all of the positive attributes Bennett brings, it is the bone-headed decisions that occur at various times of games that is the threat. Those tendencies were on display Saturday and truly didn’t seem to be any different or better than last season. I hope he truly gets better at this, but Saturday’s performance didn’t indicate this, regardless of setting. In regards to @MikeGriffith coverage; not sure what some want him to write. Often, many of the things he writes are actual quotes from the coaching staff so no way to change that. Overall good coverage and reporting of what occurred on the field Saturday.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Henddawg People always looking for motive --- to your point, there are stories with straight quotes from the coach, stories with analysis of what the coach said, then stories with opinion.

People often use numbers to talk up Bennett, but when the numbers are bad, they say the numbers don't matter.

My take is the heck with the numbers, trust your eyes: One guy looked better than the other, period.

That said, it was just one scrimmage, and who knows what would happen in live game action?

The column is about takes from the one scrimmage.

I wish I saw more, but that's all they let us see in the spring, so what else to base an opinion off?

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And the 4 batted balls.

I will give the benefit of the doubt, maybe this was by design: he still doesn't seem to be able to make additional reads. He throws to his first option. Double or triple teamed doesn't seem to matter. Maybe that is why he was a 2-3 star. His inability to read defenses. He has a decent arm, very mobile and is only about 1 1/2 inches shorter then Young. Because Young is not over 6 feet tall. Just plays bigger.

He did make some nice throws, but some that were good, could of been better if put in a better place. That 1st drive, wheel route to Mac, should of went over his outside shoulder, not back into the middle of the field. He probably takes it to the house, instead of being tackled by a safety. Just my opinion. There is a lot to be desired with the qb's, especially against a defense that people think needs a lot of help.

GO DAWGS!!!!!! and HAPPY EASTER.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"And the 4 batted balls." Good point. In fairness though, those were partly because there was a limited amount of play action. It's a real disadvantage for him to spend so much time in the pocket; it plays to his vulnerability as a shorter quarterback and not to his strength as a mobile one.

Those one or two inches he gives up to Bryce Young -- who's difficult to compare to anyone -- are still one or two inches. Even though Bennett has a harder time seeing the field than a taller QB, I actually think he's improved a lot at reads (maybe it wasn't evident Saturday).

Not as inclined as you, @budknox310, to think our QBs are struggling. With all the caveats about fewer attempts, it's still something that Bennett was ranked third in QBR and there's no reason to think he's regressed. Plus Beck and Vandagriff look elite to my (sometimes overly optimistic) eyes.. If SBIV does falter, we should have a great replacement with an excellent line to protect him.

I'm really hoping Vandagriff doesn't leave because he's No. 3 because I still think he has the most upset of all four of them.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“My take is the heck with the numbers, trust your eyes: One guy looked better than the other, period.”

@MikeGriffith Unless you are arguing Bennett looked better than Beck (which I doubt), your statement proves my point concerning your bias. 👍