Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NATIONAL LINEMAN APPRECIATION DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got your attention, I bet! But this is more like the Wichita Lineman type of lineman. Still very important even though they don't pass block.

NATIONAL LINEMAN APPRECIATION DAY

National Lineman Appreciation Day on April 18th honors the men and women who work around the clock to keep the power going. If the power is on where you are reading this article, you likely have a lineman to thank. 

From the power plant, the grid crisscrossing the country both above and underground, and right up to the meters on our homes, these men and women build and maintain the system that keeps our nation running.

Regardless of the source, the electricity has to be transported by employing transformers and other equipment. Due to the dangerous conditions power poses, safety is of utmost importance for both the lineman and the consumer.

When mother nature destroys what our linemen have built up, they are on call to build it back up again as quickly as possible. These men and women work tirelessly to get emergency systems back in working order and urgently return service to remaining areas.

Even when there is no crisis, they work under dangerous conditions on a daily basis. Whether they are working in trenches, near water, or on high towers, the risks are extreme.

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalLinemanAppreciationDay

• Give a shoutout on social media to linemen everywhere.
  • You can celebrate the day by thanking your local linemen.
  • Share your experiences as a lineman.
  • Attend a job fair and learn about the work linemen do.

I know I certainly appreciate them when tropical storms/hurricanes/thunderstorms hit our little FL village. They get out in some nasty weather. Easy to forget about them when the weather is nice and electricity is readily available.

Comments

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

My wife's nephew is a lineman for Ohio Edison. I never new the amount physical training and book testing those guys have to go through just to become an understudied before they meet lineman certification.

• Options
    DAWGof96DAWGof96 Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You caught me with the headline. Myself being in the engineering field, the lineman earned my respect back in the Atlanta ice storm of 2000. I did a lot of bird dogging for them then. They have been a welcome sight when their trucks roll in after lines are down in the recent years of hurricanes and tornadoes

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Great post and accolades are due to these heroic people who risk their lives in this very dangerous occupation in order to keep our electricity flowing!

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought this was about Mims!

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022