Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NATIONAL KIDS AND PETS DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NATIONAL KIDS AND PETS DAY

National Kids and Pets Day on April 26th raises awareness of the importance of picking the right pet for children at the right time. It’s an important decision that can lead to a lifetime of bonding between pet and child.

The day also celebrates the bonds children and pets can share and a day to remember safety where our pets and children are concerned. There are many benefits of having a pet in a child’s life. From fostering natural nurturing abilities to developing responsibilities, pets have a lifelong impact on a child’s development.

It is also important to remember that small children as well as the pets may not know their limitations and should not be left alone with each other. They should always be supervised to prevent injury to both the child and the animal.

Even though dogs and cats are some of the most beloved pets in the United States, pet homelessness is a huge problem in the country. There are about 70 million stray animals in the United States. Up to 8 million of these animals end up in shelters. There are 3,500 animal shelters in the country. It’s at these animal shelters that pets receive a second chance. According to the ASPCA, over 3 million shelter animals are adopted each year.

No matter the breed, size, or demeanor of the human, or, canine, the shelter will take the time to find the right home for their animals. They schedule visits and have procedures in place to promote healthy adoptions for families and individuals. While some dogs have experienced injury or illness, the shelters work with veterinarians to heal the animals before making them available for adoption.

Although I don't have a pet, I do have a love of animals. I grew up on a chicken ranch with, at one point with dogs, pigs, chickens, parakeets and finches, gold fish and 1 very brave cat. To this day, I like to feed a goat who lives on the road I walk most days. He lives with a horse and the smallest little bull I've ever seen. They all love carrots and wildflowers and I love feeding them.

Comments

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm okay with kidding with pets, I'm not so good with petting kids...

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

I've had a both, but not anymore. Two daughters that are estranged and all my pets have crossed over the rainbow bridge. Hard to deal with both, but I've also decided I'm not having anymore of either.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never had any estranged children but that rainbow bridge is pretty darn tough to deal with.