Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NATIONAL TEACHER APPRECIATION DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kind of odd, but, after going K through PhD, I don't have a teacher in mind who made a "significant" difference in my life. I guess they all did, in one way or another. From the nuns who slapped my wrist with a ruler to my dissertation chairman, they all added something to the mix. I'm certainly not ungrateful at all. Can't pick just one out from the rest. I do recall the nun who cost me the spelling bee championship in school. She was from Ireland and had a hard accent. The word was "desert" but she sounded like she said "dessert". I spelled d-e-s-s-e-r-t and she cried, almost gleefully, "WRONG". She then let her special pet spell it and I hung my head in shameful defeat. Glad I'm able to have gotten over it.

NATIONAL TEACHER APPRECIATION DAY

National Teacher Appreciation Day, also known as National Teacher Day, recognizes dedicated educators across the country. As part of Teacher Appreciation Week, the celebration takes place on the Tuesday of the first full week in May each year.

The National Education Association describes National Teacher Day “as a day for honoring teachers and recognizing the lasting contributions they make to our lives.” 

Teachers play a critical role in educating and shaping our children, the future leaders of our country. These kind, patient, hard-working, dedicated, and understanding professionals help mold our children and guide them in positive directions. We entrust our children with teachers, and they affect their lives daily.

When is National Open The Magic Day?

No matter where we are in life, a teacher influenced us. They continue to impact our lives every day, too! When we meet new employees with a wealth of skills and abilities, a teacher helped shaped them. Every new business owner, doctor, engineer, or nurse can name a teacher who inspired them. Every one of us has at least one teacher in mind who encouraged and motivated us during our education.

HOW TO OBSERVE #TeacherAppreciationDay

It is time to say “Thank You” to the exceptional teachers you know. Take a moment and reflect on the teachers in your life. Who influenced your life? Who is making an impact today? Let teachers past and present know you value them. Let them know how they helped shape your future. You can also show your gratitude for your teachers in other ways:

• Refill their supplies. Many teachers stock their classrooms with the supplies they need to effectively teach.
  • Write a letter showing your support. Your words may encourage a teacher to continue making a difference in a child’s life.
  • Ask them what they need the most. Sometimes just being asked is the most important part.
  • Volunteer in your schools. Every day, schools rely on parent support for many programs to succeed.

ic:Also, visit the National Day Classroom for more ways to #CelebrateEveryDay!

You can also download and print this postcard to mail to your teachers. It can be printed double-sided on a 5.5-inch x 4.25-inch cardstock or on one side and cut out. Tell them just how much their hard work means to you.

NATIONAL TEACHER APPRECIATION DAY HISTORY

Political and educational leaders began discussions for a day to honor teachers in 1944. In 1953, Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded the 81st Congress to proclaim National Teachers’ Day. Congress declared March 7, 1980, as National Teacher Day. The National Education Association continued to observe Teacher Day on the first Tuesday in March until 1985 when the National PTA established Teacher Appreciation Week as the first full week of May. The NEA Representative Assembly then voted to make the Tuesday of that week National Teacher Day.

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

So funny! I had the same thing happen to me with the word "Judgment" . In the fifth-sixth grade finals, I was asked to spell that word and I spelled it J-U-D-G-M-E-N-T. The teacher in charge said no, that it was supposed to be spelled "JUDGEMENT".

Even though BOTH are acceptable spellings, I lost, and to this day, I cannot spell it with an "e" added.

Thankfully, being an attorney, I have never since been corrected!

And, yes, it is a good thing that I have forgotten all about it!!!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a wonderful day to remember all those important people who have so tirelessly given of their time, money and gifts.

Teachers run in my family as my mother was a lifelong teacher, and my sister as well, and now my son, daughter in law and daughter are all teachers. Never to be undervalued and always should be appreciated!